List of things to avoid while pregnant

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2011, 07:27 PM
~Meg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I found this mayo clinic site with the foods to avoid

Pregnancy nutrition: Foods to avoid during pregnancy - MayoClinic.com

I thought this would be a good topic after someone asked about Raspberry Leaf Tea.

What do you miss most while pregnant?

What do you still allow yourself to have but in moderation?

Any other things you can think to add to the list? This is just the food list that I linked.

What do you miss most while pregnant? I miss Feta Cheese and Med Rare steaks. I hate my meat well done, so I try to avoid it while pregnant. I can only stomach med well burgers not steaks.

What do you still allow yourself to have but in moderation? I drink a coke a day and still will eat lunch meat once a week or every other week. We have a subway in our building it's quick and yummy.

Any other things you can think to add to the list? Baths that are too hot or heating pads. I used to sleep with a heating pad every night before Tyler. I stopped after I got pregnant with him.
No motorcycles or 4-wheelers is what I was told. I don't know how much truth to that there is. But Jay rides and I won't go on because of the vibration and the how dangerous they are. I stopped riding on them after we had Tyler.

May 16th, 2011, 08:10 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
What do you miss most while pregnant? The only thing I missed while being pregnant with Eli was being able to run during the summer.... since I was in my second tri I felt like it wasn't safe for me.

What do you still allow yourself to have but in moderation? Everything you're "not supposed to". I really don't see the harm in MOST of the things that people tell you not to do I eat lunch meat, take hot hot showers, and drink a coke every once in a while..... oh well!

Any other things you can think to add to the list? This is just the food list that I linked.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]
forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
May 16th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I take hot hot showers still even hot baths. I just sit in the bath for too long. Although I doubt that your temp raises that high from a bath.

May 16th, 2011, 09:39 PM
MamaSugarplump's Avatar Jordan
What do you miss most while pregnant? So far I'm just missing not feeling sick.

What do you still allow yourself to have but in moderation? Morning coffee! I still eat lunch meat sometimes, but I make sure I heat it up good first

Any other things you can think to add to the list? I had no idea herbal tea wasn't okay, so thanks for posting the link.
May 16th, 2011, 09:53 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What do you miss most while pregnant? So far, coffee! I'm avoiding as much caffeine as possible but coffee affects me pretty strongly. I am REALLY missing that pick-me-up.

What do you still allow yourself to have but in moderation? Chocolate occasionally!

Any other things you can think to add to the list? This is just the food list that I linked. I'll be using caution while cleaning the house, just to be sure that I'm not inhaling chemicals. Have you ever noticed that when you sprinkle cleanser around you get a "cloud" of dust from it? That's the kind of stuff I'm avoiding. I've even purchased some organic cleansers to use. Anything else DH can handle.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
May 16th, 2011, 11:12 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, so far I don't miss anything because I have not limited anything. I would eat rare steak before I ate lunch meat though. With steak the bacteria is only on the outside surface, so as long as it is seared it is safe. I no longer eat burgers, even when I am not pregnant, because they have to be cooked pretty much all the way through and that is gross!

I will eat/drink just about anything I want to. I don't worry that much about it. Maybe I should, but eh, I just don't.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 16th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What do you miss most while pregnant?nothing in particular probably sugar this time round, really need to cut that back

What do you still allow yourself to have but in moderation? suagr? lol

May 17th, 2011, 07:26 AM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I missed beer--that was the only thing I didn't allow myself. Everything else that I was supposed to avoid, I allowed myself in smaller amounts

May 17th, 2011, 08:57 AM
jesridge's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I eat whatever, really, as long as it's in moderation. My doctor specifically told me "you're going to read a lot of scary stuff about food on the internet, so just as a heads up, don't worry about it. You'll be fine... just moderate what you eat."

The only things I worry about is keeping my caffeine under 200mg, making sure I don't take medications that aren't safe, and not drinking alcohol... though I will have a sip or two if DH is having something great and offers a taste. I don't believe I'll be doing that in public, though, because people are quite judgmental.

That's just my personal situation and opinion on this, though, and I totally respect everyone's decisions to be more careful than I am. I just don't worry about a lot. I think I get that from DH....

Born 12/30/11 and absolutely perfect!

May 17th, 2011, 09:27 AM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesridge View Post
and not drinking alcohol... though I will have a sip or two if DH is having something great and offers a taste. I don't believe I'll be doing that in public, though, because people are quite judgmental.

That's just my personal situation and opinion on this, though, and I totally respect everyone's decisions to be more careful than I am. I just don't worry about a lot. I think I get that from DH....
You know, I agree that I will have a sip of a drink or two just to taste it, especially if it's a new wine, but no, I won't be doing that in public once it's obvious that I'm pregnant. (And for me, it wouldn't be more than a sip to taste it.)

I agree, I am completely respectful of other people's choices on what they will and won't eat/do/drink while pregnant. I just hope and pray that the respect is returned if they see me eating/doing/drinking something that they believe to be a no-no.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
May 17th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Treysmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My OB said I could have lunch meat 2 times a week and eat hotdogs whenever I wanted so I dont miss much, b/c I'm not a fish eater....lol oh and I dont drink caffeine anyway even when I'm not pregnant, so not missing that either...lol

Thank you Chelsea for my beautiful siggy!!
May 17th, 2011, 10:00 AM
321abc
I don't understand why lunch meat is bad when you're pregnant. I read that if it's straight from the deli it's dangerous but ore packaged is fine??
May 17th, 2011, 11:04 AM
HONEYBUNNY61's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I miss BEER the most. NA just isn't the same.
I have a cup of coffee every morning. That's all the caffeine I get anyway. I also had some brie the other night. It was too hard to pass up. I only had 2 bites. I don't get it often, so I had to indulge.

VBAC, NATURAL BIRTHING, BREASTFEEDING, BABYWEARING, CLOTH DIAPERING MOM!
May 17th, 2011, 11:46 AM
sarahmomma's Avatar Momma to 4
Most of the foods on the list I don't eat anyways but I admit that right now a sunnyside up egg with toast is one of the few things I can stomach. It needs to be runny to dip the toast in so I will continue to eat that until the m/s stops and I can go back to eating normally again.
May 17th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye10 View Post
I don't understand why lunch meat is bad when you're pregnant. I read that if it's straight from the deli it's dangerous but ore packaged is fine??

Deli meat from the counter as long as it hasn't been sitting out is safer than the prepackaged stuff. It is less processed at the factory. The slicing in mass and then packaging of the pre-packaged stuff is what is a problem because the factories are not always clean. If you do a google search on listeria you will see most of the outbreaks are with pre-packaged foods.

If your deli cooks some of their own meats, that is even better because it doesnt go through a pakcing plant.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 17th, 2011, 03:41 PM
321abc
I guess I read it wrong
May 17th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I didn't really understand lunch meat either. But I'm not a fan of it unless I suddenly get a taste for it. Now hot dogs for some reason I crave so bad while pregnant. I eat so many chili dogs.

May 17th, 2011, 07:12 PM
WOw, google 'listeria recall' and the number one repeat offender is CHIVES!

Sail Back to Me
May 17th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Lol I don't think I want to google that. I hare chives though!

May 17th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I will still eat my deli meats..lol There are 2500 (1 in 122,802 chance of getting it- if I did that right...lol divided the population by the number of cases) cases per year of listeriosis in the U.S. very, very rare. You are much more likely to get in a serious car accident and die/harm the baby while pregnant (1 in 10,000 chance), are any of us going to stop getting in our cars?

Sail Back to Me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search