WWYD Wednesday

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 25th, 2011, 06:49 AM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What do you do when people give you unwanted advice--pregnancy related or not? Do you smile and say thanks, ignore them, give them a piece of your mind....?

May 25th, 2011, 06:51 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
It really just depends on my mood and who it is. If it is a stranger I usually have some off handed smart comment and then I walk away. If it is family or friends usually I just smile and nod but if I am already not in a good mood I might snap.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
May 25th, 2011, 06:52 AM
hoping and waiting's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah I usually smile and say oh ok thanks of very politely share my opinion even if it is in disagreement.
May 25th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Mistyx6's Avatar Mommy of 6
Send a message via MSN to Mistyx6
I just smile and say thanks..

May 25th, 2011, 07:11 AM
HONEYBUNNY61's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Last pregnancy I would smile and act like I was entertaining the idea but in my head I was slapping them. This time I imagine I will be less censored.

VBAC, NATURAL BIRTHING, BREASTFEEDING, BABYWEARING, CLOTH DIAPERING MOM!
May 25th, 2011, 08:04 AM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
I smile and nod! It's not worth it to me to to snap at people I know the majority of the time they are just trying to be nice or helpful, so I don't really mind it TOO much!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
May 25th, 2011, 08:35 AM
sarahmomma's Avatar Momma to 4
It depends on the advice. I have two children with Autism so when it is advice related to a tantrum it is all I have to not strangle the person. I normally just say "he has Autism" and leave it at that but I have more than once told a person where to go in a not so polite way when a response to a meltdown was beyond innapropriate. Other than that I smile and nod because we are each entitled to our own oppinion
May 25th, 2011, 09:25 AM
melissa_rae's Avatar Ready to be a Mommy.
Lately i have been wanting to give them a piece of my mind. espcally my future father-in-law. But most of the time i just sit there and smile && "act" like im listening lol.
May 25th, 2011, 09:42 AM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just smile and say thank you. As Kelli said, it's just not worth snapping at them when it's bad/useless advice. Most are just trying to be helpful and quite honestly, some may have some really good information that I can use. I've never done this before, they have, so I don't want to chase someone off from giving me advice just because I don't agree with one aspect of their pregnancy/parenting style.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
May 25th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree the easiest thing is to just smile and then go about doing what I planned to do anyway. With that being said if someone catches me at a bad moment I have been known to snap, but I do my best to remember i tend to overreact when I'm hormonal. Lol
May 25th, 2011, 10:14 AM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Typically I smile and ignore it. If I'm in a bad mood though I will back up my personal opinions on the subject with research I've done.

May 25th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'll listen to anything from someone that's already done this! I feel like I know nothing and am overwhelmed...

But yesterday some little 18 year old that's never had a kid at work overheard my conversation with a friend and starting lecturing me on cloth diapers and breastfeeding! ***?? It was all I could do to stay pleasant...

The irritability is a new one on me... I don't usually even have that with PMS!

May 25th, 2011, 10:35 AM
-3-Hearts's Avatar She's Country.....
i just kinda take it with a grain of salt. unless, its someone who keeps nagging me over and over. i actually have friend who told me i would neve be able to take my kids anywhere by myself because apparently she thinks that when this baby is born, my kids are going to transform into wild feral kids like hers..... she just lets her kids do whatever, and they were recently kicked out of a hospital. um no, i dont want your advice

<3

<3
May 25th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Crystal_Lynn's Avatar Ari and Zev's Mommy
Depends on what they are advising me on, if it's something trivial I usually nod and smile. If it's something I'm passionate about or feel that they are miss informed I will speak up, this doesn't happen often though.

.My Pregnancy Blog.Last update: 01.05.12.

Some babies are born to soon and/or too sick. Arm yourself with knowledge, visit marchofdimes.com!
May 25th, 2011, 12:10 PM
junglepeachpie's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm going to try very hard to ignore. So far, all my unsolicited advice has come over email so I just delete.
TTC #1 since September 2009. Stopped TTC in January 2012
IUI #1 April 2011 was a success, but lost baby at 9 weeks
IUIs #2-5 BFN
Decided not to do IVF and embrace a childfree life (at least for awhile)

Tags
day of the week questions

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search