When and how will you tell your boss?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Super Mommy
I know it's very early, but I am anxious to tell my boss that I am pregnant. I just feel like my doctor appointments will seem weird to him since I NEVER miss work for doctor's appointment, especially not frequently lol!

I just feel like it'd be better to come clean and tell him right before he starts asking why I go to the doctor's so often. I mean, he's not stupid, he knows my age, my situation with my boyfriend, that we live together and that he has a good job and everything. Better tell him sooner than later when he assumes I think he's a fool?

I need advice. How are you handling this?

June 7th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I told my boss right away, even though we aren't telling any one else. But she is also a good friend, so it was a different situation. She noticed something was going on with me almost instantly, so I just spilled the beans. I personally believe being open about it early on will only make things easier for every one. But I am sure that there are some situations where that is not the case. It doesn't sound like there are any pressing reasons NOT to tell your boss though, and better to tell him than leave him in the position of guessing.

Thank you so much Kris2you for my lovely siggy!!!

June 7th, 2011, 06:36 AM
CalmHorizons's Avatar Christina
I'm terrified to tell my boss. Last time, I told her around 8 weeks, and she pushed and pushed to tell the rest of the lab (scheduling and such were going to be affected, so she thought she should get it out there as soon as possible). The day after I told her she could tell everyone and the news got ALL OVER, I started to miscarry. At work. While everyone was still coming up and hugging me and saying congratulations. Worst work day of my life.

So, yeah. Scared to tell my boss. I'll probably wait until 15 weeks or so.
June 7th, 2011, 01:00 PM
*JenJen*'s Avatar impatiently waiting
My boss has known since last week. They knew we were going through fertility treatments, so its not a surprise to them.

My Blog
2006-2013 6+ years of NTNP, TTC, TTCMA, Losses, Surgeries, and Diagnoses.
RPL and Genetic Tests came back 100% normal | Endo, PCOS, severe MFI
Multiple early losses between 3 and 8 weeks.

Broken in heart, mind, and body. On a break until Summer 2014

June 7th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Coby Jaylen Aubriya mom
good question, ive been debating this. I dont care for my boss, and she's just not the type of person i want to tell right now. im thinking ill tell her until after 12 weeks. im sooo scared that ill tell people and then if i miscarry i have to tell them that too.
June 7th, 2011, 10:13 PM
First one!!
Send a message via AIM to Beach mama Send a message via Skype™ to Beach mama
I told my boss right away, partly cuz we are friends and partly cuz she smokes. My whole office knows now. It's a small office and everyone would know about my appointments and stuff. Nothing is private there!
June 8th, 2011, 02:05 AM
NewStar's Avatar Veteran
I wont tell my boss until I am 12weeks at least, not sure they are going to take it to well , but dont see how they can complain seeing as we only get 45days maternity leave here.

June 8th, 2011, 06:19 AM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad that I don't have a boss .

=May '05 and '11

June 8th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Super Mommy
I'm happy to read your stories. I realize that it's not that rare to tell a boss early. I'll probably wait untill I'm at least 7 or 8 weeks along. He's going on vacation for the last 2 weeks of July. Should I say something right before he leaves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewStar View Post
I wont tell my boss until I am 12weeks at least, not sure they are going to take it to well , but dont see how they can complain seeing as we only get 45days maternity leave here.
See, that's the "problem" for me. I can take up to a year if I want to. I will most likely chose less, something like 7 or 8 months and will offer to do some work from home, which I already have all the ressources.

June 8th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Clare's Avatar Wishy
Send a message via AIM to Clare
I told my boss yesterday, he was lovely about it.
June 8th, 2011, 02:32 PM
iscah's Avatar Veteran
i've already told my boss because i've been so sick and not up to my full production as before but, my company is comprised of about 99% women, so everyone is very understanding and accommodating. yay! i'm just glad not to get in trouble when i'm feeling like puking and can't concentrate...
June 8th, 2011, 05:33 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will be telling my boss when I get back from vacation in August. I'll be about 15 weeks then. I'm pretty fed up with my job at the moment and don't plan to make a big announcement or anything. I think I'll just kinda let it leak out. I will also be staying home after baby is born so I feel no obligation to tell them early for scheduling reasons. I figure than most people do not give 8+ months notice when they quit a job, so why should I?

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

Tags
boss , work

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search