Is Swimming in a Chlorinated Pool Safe this Early?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HonestMamma
  • 1 Post By ~Mindy~

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2011, 07:05 AM
~Mindy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been moping around feeling so miserable the last couple weeks. I think it might be really good for me to get out of the house and do something fun with DH and the kids today. I would love to go to the pool for the day, but I worry whether the chlorine is safe during the first trimester? I keep reading conflicting things online, some say it's totally safe. Others say it's not. The pool we go to is an indoor pool, and I read that those are the least safe because there's not as much ventilation to disperse the chemicals in the air.

June 26th, 2011, 07:10 AM
HonestMamma's Avatar Bish!
Your cervix is closed, so I see no reason to avoid swimming. I think that with anything, moderation is key. It's not like you will be living in a pool. Going swimming for the day should be fine.
MindyRambo likes this.

June 26th, 2011, 07:14 AM
SuperMartianRobotMom6's Avatar Proud Mama & Happy Wife
I agree however the indoor pools aren't sanitary, and theres constantly sweat and chlorine in the air.
If its possible an outdoor pool would be safer.

June 26th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Thanks! I just get nervous about exposing baby bean to anything that might be harmful while he or she is still developing all the major organs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureNurse_MommyFirst View Post
I agree however the indoor pools aren't sanitary, and theres constantly sweat and chlorine in the air.
If its possible an outdoor pool would be safer.
Oh, I didn't know that. We do have a couple outdoor pools in town, but we're fair-skinned and burn very easily. It's not too sunny today though, so maybe I'll just slather everyone with tons of sunscreen and go to one of the outdoor pools.

June 26th, 2011, 08:42 AM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
yep its fine. I know people that live in the pool while pregnant. I have been swimming a few times now since finding out i'm pregnant...its so nice!

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
June 26th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Swimming is one of the most recommended activities during pregnancy. I say go for it!

Thank you so much Kris2you for my lovely siggy!!!

June 26th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Kitusne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been wanting to swim as well. I haven't done so because public pools have so much chlorine, and the only one near me is indoor.
June 26th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree- fine! I did aqua-size classes with my pregnancies in a chlorinated pool
June 26th, 2011, 11:35 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I went swimming yesterday and I'm going again today. It's hot here in Houston lol!
June 26th, 2011, 01:44 PM
So we ended up going and swimming for just a couple hours. I actually feel better than I have in weeks! I think that getting out of the house and getting a little exercise was just what I needed.

June 26th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Super Mommy
I think it is fine, I did when pregnant with DD and have been swimming in our community outdoor pool every weekend since its been warm enough. The outdoors and activity is great for your growing baby!
June 26th, 2011, 05:54 PM
cp83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have also been swimming since I have been pregnant. Our neighbors have a lovely outdoor pool that is perfect for this hot days!

June 28th, 2011, 03:58 PM
enjoy it!
July 2nd, 2011, 10:46 AM
lilmeg's Avatar Veteran
Swimming is good exercise during pregnancy, so good for you for wanting to be active. Absorbing pool chemicals on your skin isn't really great for anyone and as previously mentioned the germs don't make it any better. I would say, if you know someone who has a backyard pool, that would probably be best, but if not I would just make sure you shower well after to get as much off as you can. I'm guessing you already went by now, so hope you had a great time.
May 30th, 2013, 08:55 AM
It would be more unsafe it wasn't chlorinated!
July 30th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Swam all the time while preggo!
August 10th, 2013, 05:12 PM

Um, it's 2013. The bean is now a happy healthy toddler.

Iluvmybabies* likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search