***Share some recipes!***

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2011, 04:13 PM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I thought it would be cool to share some recipes. Especially things that we have mentioned in our "What's for dinner?" posts.

Here are a few that I make. I make adjustments here and there to decrease fat, increase spicyness, etc.

*Chili-Cornbread Casserole*

Hamburger Corn Bread Casserole Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

*Beef Stroganoff*

(Why make Hamburger Helper when you can make THIS?)

* 1 lb ground beef (my store doesn't sell even pounds, so I get 1.5 ish, you can use ground turkey)
* 1 onion, diced
* 1 small jar of sliced mushrooms (the jarred/canned works better than fresh in this recipe)
* 1 can cream of mushroom soup (you can use lower fat, lower sodium if you choose...I just go for regular)
* 8 oz. Velveeta (do NOT use any more than this...this is the perfect amount, or else it will be cheesy, which is not the goal)
* 8 oz. sour cream (yes, you can use fat free!)
* salt, pepper, garlic to taste for seasoning the beef (don't be heavy handed with the salt...remember, Velveeta is salty!)
* 12 oz. package of extra wide egg noodles, cooked and drained (cook it al dente...super soft results in mush)

In a large pan, season the ground beef with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. If you seriously need numbers, try 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper and 1 tsp garlic powder. Brown the beef, adding the diced onion about halfway through. If there is a ton of liquid, drain. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting.

(while you are doing all this stuff, make sure you have water boiling for those noodles!)

To the beef, add the cream of mushroom soup and the drained mushrooms. Stir it up! Put a lid on it!

At this point, your water is probably boiling. Add the package of noodles. Set a timer. You don't want them to get mushy!

While the noodles are cooking, dice the 8 oz. of Velveeta. Add the Velveeta to the beef/onion/soup/mushroom mix. Stir it up! Put a lid on it! It will get all melty and awesome.

Are your noodles done? Drain those suckers! Set them to the side.

Lift the lid on the beef mixture. Stir it up again! Is it all combined? Sweet! Now, stir in the sour cream.

After that, stir in the noodles. Then, put a lid on it!

I like to let the whole thing sit, lid on, for at least 15 minutes so that all the flavors have a party.

Serve. Enjoy. Promise never to make Hamburger Helper again because it has all kinds of nasty crap in it and because this makes WAY more food!

*Southwest Stew*

(this is kind of like chili, but not as heavy)

* 1 lb ground beef (I go ahead and get 1.5)
* 1 medium onion, diced
* 1 can beef broth
* 2 cans Rotel
* 2 cans Ranch Style Beans
* salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste

Season the ground beef in a big pot (salt, pepper, garlic powder..you probably already do this)

Brown the ground beef. You can drain it if you want to.

Add the onions and cook until they're soft.

Dump in the broth, Rotel and Ranch Style Beans.

Stir and bring to a boil.

Once it's boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer for an hour.

Serve with tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese, whatever floats your boat!

So easy and good!

*Dijon Salmon* (this is SO EASY!)

Go to the store and ask for 3/4 lb of salmon. Make sure it looks fresh. BUY THIS THE DAY YOU INTEND TO COOK IT!!!! I never purchase fish more than 24 hours prior to cooking.

Preheat oven to 375.

Cover baking sheet with foil.

Place salmon on baking sheet.

Spread dijon/brown mustard on top of the salmon. (not honey mustard...ewww) It can be sort of thick. You don't want a really thin, see-through layer or anything. BE SURE NOT TO STICK THE SPOON OR KNIFE BACK INTO YOUR MUSTARD CONTAINER. Spoon it out and plop it on, THEN spread...you don't want to cross-contaminate your mustard!

Ding! Your oven has reached 375! Put the salm.on in the oven and set the timer for 20 minutes.

Ding! 20 minutes is up! It should be done, but if you are paranoid, just press lightly on the thickest part of the fish with a fork. It should be mostly firm. It can have a tiny bit of give, that's okay. Take it out of the oven and let it sit for 5 minutes.

ENJOY!

June 29th, 2011, 04:58 PM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
*bump*

Come on! Nobody wants to share their yummies?

June 29th, 2011, 05:03 PM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will have to find some of mine...give me some time!
June 29th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My recipes are all far too simple that I'd be embarrassed to share!

June 29th, 2011, 05:55 PM
AnnaandRyansMommy's Avatar Sarah
I am not a good cook, however, I had some of the girls from work over the other day and I made yummy (EASY) sauce, and everyone LOVED it! Even my husband liked it, and he doesn't compliment me on my cooking to be nice!

This would fill a medium sauce pan (or what I think a medium sauce pan is )

Dice a sweet onion and place it in a pot that is heated up with olive oil covering the bottom.
Dump in a lot of dried basil (so all the onion pieces are speckled)
Stir and add in a tbsp or so of sugar to help decrease the acid

While that is heating up, open up one can of whole peeled tomatoes (I get the organic or salt free kind)
and one can of crushed tomatoes.

Add them to the onions - you only cook the onions for about as long as it takes you to open the cans

Then cook, simmering for 1-4 hours, if you have less cooking time add a couple spoonfuls of tomato paste to thicken, otherwise it will cook down and thicken naturally.

Super easy, pretty cheap, and very yummy! I use it over noodles, or with breaded chicken parm.

June 29th, 2011, 06:26 PM
SmilesAreContagious's Avatar Rheanna Mommy-2-b
I was totally craving something sour and cold the other day and thought randomly about german potato salad. So I had no idea how to make it so i looked it up. This is the recipe I used and it was delicious!

TLC Cooking "Traditional German Potato Salad"
June 29th, 2011, 07:04 PM
boots&bowtie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to boots&bowtie
This is a great idea! I'll have to look through my stash and see if I have anything worth sharing lol

I love beef stroganoff.... Marti, I am totally going to have to try that recipe, along with the Hamburger cornbread casserole thing!

I'm excited to see what other ladies have to share! I love food

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my awesome siggie!

June 29th, 2011, 07:12 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How about meatza? Yeah, I don't eat a standard American diet, so some of my stuff might seem a little weird...lol But, if you want me to I will share.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
June 30th, 2011, 01:19 PM
mcfly's Avatar Lil' Old Lady In Training
^ Yes, share!

This is the chocolate chiffon cake I posted about in the dessert thread:

Quote:
Makes 1 (10-inch) tube cake; 12 servings

1 cup egg whites (7 or 8)
1/2 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa
3/4 cup boiling water
1 3/4 cup sifted cake flour
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup salad oil
7 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
CHOCOLATE FILLING:
3 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups sifted confectioner’s sugar
3/4 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatine

NOTE: All sifted ingredients should be sifted BEFORE measuring!

MAKE CAKE:
In large electric mixer bowl, let whites warm to room temperature (about 1 hour).

Into cocoa in small bowl, stir boiling water until smooth. Let cool 1/2 hour.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Sift flour with sugar, soda and salt in large bowl. Make a well in center. Pour in oil, yolks, vanilla and cocoa. With wooden spoon, beat just until smooth.

Sprinkle cream of tartar over egg whites. With mixer at high speed, beat until very stiff peaks form when beater is slowly raised. Do not under beat. Pour batter over whites. With whisk, and an under-and-over motion, gently fold to combine. Turn into ungreased 10-inch tube pan.

Bake 60-65 minutes, until top springs back when pressed with finger. Invert over neck of bottle. Cool 1 1/2 hours.

With spatula, loosen cake and remove. Cool on rack.

MAKE CHOCOLATE FILLING:
In large bowl, combine cream, sugar, cocoa, vanilla, salt & refrigerate for 1 hour.

With mixer, beat until stiff, refrigerate again.

Sprinkle gelatine over 2 tablespoons cold water to soften. Heat, stirring over hot water to dissolve (double boiler effect). Cool; set aside.

ASSEMBLE CAKE:
Cut 1-inch slice crosswise from top of cake, set aside. With sharp knife, outline a cavity in cake, leaving 1-inch thick walls around center, side and bottom. With spoon carefully remove cake from this area. Reserve 1 1/2 cups crumbled cake.

Measure 2 1/2 cups chocolate filling into small bowl. Fold in gelatine. Use to fill cavity. Replace top.

Mix 1/2 cup filling with reserved crumbled cake. Use to fill center hole.

Frost top and side of cake with remaining filling. Refrigerate until serving.
I make it exactly like the recipe, except that I rarely have cream of tartar or plain gelatin around the house, so I leave those ingredients out sometimes and it turns out just fine.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search