July 4 Foods To Avoid

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 30th, 2011, 02:46 PM
MamaSugarplump's Avatar Jordan
I get daily baby emails and came across this. Just thought I would share since 4th of July celebrations are coming up!

"Even if you've always had a stomach of iron, pregnancy weakens your immune system and makes you more vulnerable to food-borne illnesses that could make you sick and harm your baby. So it's important to avoid certain foods during pregnancy even on special occasions.

"The risks are real and need to be taken very seriously," says Linda Katz, chief medical officer of the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Dangerous bacteria and parasites like listeria, toxoplasma, salmonella, staphylococcus aureus, and E. coli can lurk in improperly prepared, cooked, and stored foods. And listeria and toxoplasma can cross your placenta and affect your baby even if you never feel symptoms of the illness yourself.

So if you've always licked the spoon clean of cookie dough, enjoyed Caesar salads with raw egg in the dressing, and ordered your burgers medium rare, pregnancy is a time to rethink these practices and err on the side of food safety, experts say.

Here are some tips to get you through the barbecues of the summer and the holiday buffets of the winter without feeling deprived or endangering your baby.

Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day

* Refrigerated ready-to-eat foods: If not prepared and handled properly, deli-style salads (especially those containing protein, like egg, chicken, ham, and seafood) can be contaminated with listeria. This includes salads from the store as well as those that are homemade and sandwiches made from these salads.
* Since these types of salads are ready-to-eat and not reheated, they can pose a risk to pregnant women, and you may want to avoid them altogether. If you do choose to eat them, discard any leftovers four days after preparation.
* Also stay away from salads (and other food) left unrefrigerated or unheated. So, for example, if you arrive at a party and there's a potato salad that's not on ice, or meat that's not on a hot plate, don't eat it unless you know for sure that it's been out for less than two hours (one hour for refrigerator foods if it's a very warm day, over 90 degrees).
* Hot dogs and luncheon meats: Hot dogs are generally high in nitrates, as well as fat and sodium but it's safe to enjoy one now and then, provided it's fresh off the grill or has otherwise been cooked until steaming hot (to at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit) to kill bacteria that may be present. Also be sure to handle the juice that comes from hot-dog and deli-meat packaging carefully. Dont let it come in contact with foods that wont be cooked, and wash your hands thoroughly after handling it.
* Luncheon and deli meats also need to be reheated until they're steaming hot to be safe.
* Burgers and other grilled meat or fish: If you're offered a burger or other grilled or barbecued meat, chicken, pork, or fish, make sure it's cooked well-done and not pink in any areas. E. coli, salmonella and toxoplasma can lurk in undercooked meats. (Ground beef, veal, lamb and pork should be cooked to at least 160 degrees F and ground poultry to 165 degrees F. Pork roasts and chops need to reach 145 degrees F, whole poultry 180 degrees F, chicken breasts 170 degrees F, and fish 145 degrees F. Use a food thermometer to test the temperature, because the color of the food isn't always a good indicator of doneness.)
* Note: Because of concerns about mercury in fish, the FDA recommends limiting yourself to 12 ounces (about two servings) of fish a week and avoiding some kinds of fish altogether. For more information, see our article on eating fish safely during pregnancy.
* Ice cream: Make sure the homemade ice cream being served isn't made with raw eggs, which can contain salmonella. (Cooking kills the bacteria but freezing doesn't.)
* Ice: Use clean ice for your drinks, not the ice that's keeping the meat cold or that others have stuck their hands into. Bacteria can thrive in a cooler full of ice.
* Raw sprouts: Don't garnish your burger or salad with alfalfa or other raw sprouts. They can contain E. coli or salmonella bacteria. For the same reason, make sure raw vegetables in particular lettuce and cabbage have been washed."

Here's the website I got it from: Holiday foods to avoid during pregnancy | BabyCenter
June 30th, 2011, 03:05 PM
glitterific's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my first doc's appointment was right around Memorial Day and she said if you'd eat it before, be careful now with foods that aren't handled properly, either refrigerated or foods that were cooked that sat out too long.
June 30th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
I can see my dh's family getting irritated w me not eating due to worry over these things. Lol. They always get offended.

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

June 30th, 2011, 05:46 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo View Post
I can see my dh's family getting irritated w me not eating due to worry over these things. Lol. They always get offended.

mine get offended to but mine are jerks and have no reason to..the reason i dont eat their foods is because they put meat in EVERYTHING! ive been in the family for six years and they know i dont like meat..especially seafood. at the last family gathering they made sure to put meat in everything, even crab in the salad. they actually got offended when all i ate was bread. ha whatever!
June 30th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What a bummer, but good to know. As if I don't worry enough about what I'm eating . . . lol. Thanks!

June 30th, 2011, 07:09 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I am not a super worrier. I still eat just about everything on the "no-no" list. Getting in the car and driving to town is more likely to result in injury or death of the baby than eating a hotdog, etc.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search