Anyone have throid issues and pregnant?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 30th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Just wondering if anyone here has thyroid issues?

And NutMeg are you the Meghan I know from CND and Healthy Living??

June 30th, 2011, 08:58 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes I am the same one

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
July 1st, 2011, 06:52 AM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have thyroid issues. According to my OB office, my TSH was good a month ago at my first appointment, but I still need to make an appointment with the endocrinologist and see what he says.

My main problem was GETTING pregnant. My levels were screwed up and I had stopped ovulating.

July 1st, 2011, 07:04 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
My thyroid is 3 times the size it should be but all my levels test normal. He also said it is a funny texture or something. They are going to keep watching it and I guess will test it again later.

It took me forever (3+ years) to get pregnant so something is off but I don't know what.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
July 1st, 2011, 07:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and currently take 1mcg of levothyroxine, that is down from 125 mcg before I got pregnant.

My thyroid issues never really caused fertility issues only issues with weight gain. Do you know how frustrating it is to be on a sub-1500 calorie diet with minimal fat intake and excessive weight gain? Before I became pregnant my endo had started me on Victoza to help maintain my blood sugar (even though I am not diabetic) I was having great success losing around 15 pounds in the first month with no change in my diet. Other than forgetting to eat, things were perfect, seriously I would look at the clock and realize that it was 8pm and I had not eaten all day
July 1st, 2011, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie1975 View Post
I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and currently take 1mcg of levothyroxine, that is down from 125 mcg before I got pregnant.

My thyroid issues never really caused fertility issues only issues with weight gain. Do you know how frustrating it is to be on a sub-1500 calorie diet with minimal fat intake and excessive weight gain? Before I became pregnant my endo had started me on Victoza to help maintain my blood sugar (even though I am not diabetic) I was having great success losing around 15 pounds in the first month with no change in my diet. Other than forgetting to eat, things were perfect, seriously I would look at the clock and realize that it was 8pm and I had not eaten all day
I do know that frustration. I was in the same position. Eating 1200-1400 calories a day AND exercising for at least 60 minutes a session EIGHT times a week and only losing 1-2 pounds in a month. It was horrible. After I went grain free (there is HUGE correlation between gluten intolerance and auto-immune thyroid) I was able to lose weigh effortlessly. I can now eat as much as I need to and still lose weight. I don't count calories anymore because there is no need, but when I was still counting I was eating over 2000 cals a day and losing steadily at 2-3 pounds a week until I got to where I am now, which is only about 10-20 pounds from my goal.

I switched to Armour Thyroid in October because my free T3 was low even though my TSH was also low and my T4 was normal. It has made such a HUGE difference in the way I feel. It also helped me get through a little stall I had with my weight loss.

For anyone that is having issues and they know it, but the doctor says the levels are normal, you need to get the numbers from the tests and research it yourself. Many doctors (including endocrinologists, since so many specialize in diabetes) don't know as much about the thyroid as they could and will under-diagnose/under treat thyroid problems. My doctors kept telling me i was fine, even though I still had a lot of symptoms. I finally requested specific labs, because they only tested TSH and T4, which is almost worthless. After the full panel was done we saw that my free T3 was low and that was where my problem was, otherwise my thyroid looked well controlled. If someone is on T4 only hormone, like Synthroid or levothyroxine, they can develop problems like mine.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
July 1st, 2011, 10:51 AM
Meghan, have you read Stop the Thyroid Madness?

July 1st, 2011, 11:32 AM
I have not read the book, but I do use the website to get information.

Sail Back to Me
July 1st, 2011, 11:39 AM
I know the lady behind it and her son, who made the website.

July 1st, 2011, 11:47 AM
Very cool!

Sail Back to Me
July 1st, 2011, 12:13 PM
Regular
Hello

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos shortly after the birth of my son 9 years ago.

I currently take 125 mcg of Synthroid along with 25 mcg of Cytomel (synthetic T3). I struggled for years with having great levels on the Synthroid while still having lingering hypothyroid symptoms. I tried Armour and then Naturethroid a couple of years ago, but when it became impossible to get a prescription filled I had to go back to Synthroid. The addition of the Cytomel has made a world of difference though!!!!

I was very nervous about pregnancy with thyroid disease (maybe that's why it took me 9 years to get moving, lol). We had no trouble conceiving..this little one was actually a bit of a surprise .

I was able to see my endocrinologist before I even saw my OB/GYN. I was 6 weeks along at the time and my levels were great. I'm 12 weeks today and just went for my bloodwork this morning so hopefully I'll know the results by early next week.

I've read that you should have your levels checked every 6 - 8 weeks during pregnancy and to expect a dosage increase as pregnancy generally puts higher demands on your thyroid.

Thyroid disease during pregnancy can be scary, but also very manageable if you're seeing a good doc. If you don't feel like your OB/GYN or primary doc is on the up and up, don't hesitate to see an endocrinologist!!

~Jenn
July 1st, 2011, 01:25 PM
I still take synthetic hormone, but my endo is great and he treats my symptoms rather than the lab numbers. Right now, he says that I operate best with a very low TSH. Most doctors would look at my current labs and think I need to go lower on my dose (in fact, current endo tried that at first) but I need a maximum TSH of 1 in order to ovulate and such. 3 months after we discovered that, I got my BFP!

July 1st, 2011, 01:40 PM
Marti, I was the same. I was still normal with a TSH of 2 and we had been trying for 12 months to conceive my daughter. I was also not losing weight. THey upped my does, my TSH wnet below 1 and I got pregnant the next cycle. Coincidence? I don't think so!

Sail Back to Me
July 1st, 2011, 03:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Jenn, your situation mirrors mine. Diagnosed shortly after the birth of my first child. I wonder if it has anything to do with pregnancy?
July 1st, 2011, 03:58 PM
Yes, you can get post-pregnancy thyroiditis that then becomes permanent.

Sail Back to Me
July 1st, 2011, 04:10 PM
I've was diagnosed when I was 14 years old! Crazy!

July 1st, 2011, 04:33 PM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
Yes, you can get post-pregnancy thyroiditis that then becomes permanent.
Yes! I believe I may have been subclinical before I got pregnant. Autoimmune thyroid issues run on both sides of my family and I'm still kind of annoyed that my OB/GYN never tested me during pregnancy. Thankfully, ds was born healthy and happy....but it's still one of those big "I wish I would have known....".

Autoimmune disorders often fire up after birth due to the bounce back of your immune system. During pregnancy your body naturally lowers your immune system to prevent your body from rejecting the baby. After the baby is born there is a re-bound at which time many people with existing autoimmune conditions have a flare up and new ones show up for folks who didn't know they had a condition.

I had a tough time even getting a doctor to diagnose me after the birth of my son. I knew it was my thyroid and had to practically twist my primary doc's arm to get him to do the blood work. Even after the blood work came back positive, and with my family's history, he still sent me home saying it was all just normal postpartum stuff. I asked him to run the antibodies test and he refused. A month later I ended up at a head an neck surgeon's office with a TSH of 100 and a large goiter that was impeding my breathing. Thankfully he ran the antibodies test, diagnosed the Hashimotos, put me on Synthroid and the goiter shrunk so I didn't need the removal surgery.

Sometimes doctors drive me a little nutty, lol.

Jenn
July 1st, 2011, 05:22 PM
I should have been diagnosed after the birth of my second child. They tested me in Dec 2003 and my TSH was 5.9 and considered 'high normal'. No wonder I couldn't lose the weight! Then I had my daughter in 2005 and it got worse. I went from 176 pounds in Sept to over 210 that December. I had blood work done and my TSH was also 100! They started my on synthyroid. Which I took until this past Oct. I wanted a cytomel/levo mix, but the doc wouldn't do it.

They never tested my antibodies until IL insisted on it last June. They were high. But, no one actually gave me the results, so no formal diagnosis of Hasimoto's.

Sail Back to Me
July 1st, 2011, 06:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
Yes I am the same one
See i thought it was you but was not 100%.. so cool we are in the same ddc

July 1st, 2011, 06:55 PM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have hypothyroidism as well. I do not have Hashimoto's since I have not antibodies. Just unexplained hypothyroidism. I'm on 88mcg of Synthroid which is lower than I started last time I was pregnant. I was on 112mcg when I got pg with Marina and they had to up it to 125mcgs eventually. Right now I'm getting my labs checked every 4 weeks and going to the endocrinologist a week after each lab draw. She wants my TSH less than 2, it was 1.44 at yesterdays visit. She said if it goes up any higher than what it is now she will be increasing my dosage. I seem to do much better if my TSH is closer to 1. I can definately notice a change in symptoms if it goes up. I'm in the group that barely ate anything but still gained like 30lbs and couldn't lose it no matter what So depressing. On top of that my endocrinologist and OB both think I have PCOS as well. Plus having GD during pregnancy, my hormones are just completely out of whack

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search