NT Scan Measurement

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 1st, 2011, 04:25 PM
Veteran
I went to my NT scan today and the neck measurement came back as 2.7 mm.
The doctor said he'd' need the bloodwork as well to figure out what the "risk" is, but was concerned about the "abnormal" reading (as he put it).
I'm 17 years old, neither I or the baby's father have any history of down syndrome in our families.

The doctor told us that he likes to see 2.5 mm or below. I'm really getting stressed over this, they had to take me back twice to do the ultrasounds because according to the doctor, they were getting measurements above 2.5 and below (which he would consider "normal")
I am 12 weeks and 3 days pregnant.

Someone calm me down please?
July 1st, 2011, 04:30 PM
~Meg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't worry. Even if the blood work comes back abnormal. "false positives" are VERY VERY high with the NT scans. Its why so many people choose not to get them.
My cousin has aunts with downs and had a high reading and funky blood work. She declined the cvs and other tests but her baby boy is 5 and healthy as can be. She freaked out her whole pregnancy over that little test for no reason.

Quote:
An NT measurement of up to 2mm is normal at about 11 weeks, and up to about 2.8mm by 13 weeks and six days. The NT normally grows in proportion with your baby (Nicolaides et al 1999). The image, left, shows a baby with a normal NT of 1.3mm; this baby will be low-risk. An increased NT does not mean there is definitely a problem. Some babies without Down's have increased fluid, too. The image, right, shows a baby with an NT of 2.9mm, which is at the upper limit of normal range. Nine out of 10 babies with a measurement between 2.5mm and 3.5mm will be completely normal (Nicolaides et al 1999).

Taken from baby center her is the link
Nuchal translucency (NT) scan

July 1st, 2011, 04:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lol... I was just gonna copy the same paragraph!

Just try to remember the 9 out of 10 being normal part... this is why we've opted not to do an NT scan...

July 1st, 2011, 04:38 PM
Veteran
Thanks guys..I've already read that website! LOL

The ultrasound tech stressed to us before she even started that sometimes the thickness of the neck doesn't reflect that something is wrong, and that you really need the bloodwork as well to get your whole chance percentage.

BTW- the baby is as CUTE as can be! I got an ultrasound picture and he (the tech predicted a BOY) is smiling and waving to us!
July 1st, 2011, 04:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Aww.... congrats on being able to see him. Hang on to that picture and remember that the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor!

July 1st, 2011, 04:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Did they check for the nasal bone as well? The doctor i saw for my nuchal yesterday has the blood done in advance so it can be combined with the measurements and we get the full risk onsite. I wouldn't worry at all right now as the blood tests are a key factor in determining your risk. Also, 9 in 10 being normal with measurements up to 3.5 (and you are much lower than that) is enouraging.

July 1st, 2011, 05:29 PM
Psalm139's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with these other ladies and encourage you not to worry. I didn't get this test for exactly this reason. They are wrong so much of the time. And even what they give you is only odds. It isn't definite.

Try not to worry. And celebrating with you that you got to see that amazing little life.
Psalm 139:13-14 "For you [God] created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made..."

July 1st, 2011, 06:57 PM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know it's hard not to worry, but every tech will measure things a little different. Hope that's all it is.

July 1st, 2011, 07:22 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Don't have any words of advice but wanted to let you know I am thinking about you. Keep us posted!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search