Had a major scare today. Nightmares to follow I'm sure.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 1st, 2011, 09:30 PM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
So dh and I got the 3 younger kids in the pool this afternoon.
My step dad came earlier and installed the ladder for inside the pool.
Dh was throwing sd8 and ds9 all around the pool.
Dd5 wanted to be thrown but was scared since she can't swim. She had a small tube on.
(still has a cast on her arm but it's waterproof.)
Anyway she just started jumping off the top step in the water.
Not dangerously. She had done it about 20 times.
I was talking to dh and had my back turned to dd. Next thing I hear ds9 screaming that kayleigh is drowning. I look over and he had pulled her up from the water.
Her tube came off somehow when she jumped in.
Omg I freaked.
She choked up a lot of water but is ok.
I'm still nervous that there might be water in her lungs or some freak thing will be wrong
I'm so thankful ds was right beside her. She never made a noise and idk how it happened.
Anyway now we will be using arm floaties AND a tube.
I need to get her enrolled in swim classes somewhere.
I can't get the image out of my head now.

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

July 1st, 2011, 09:32 PM
MomTo3LittleBoys's Avatar Love my house of boys!
O I'm so sorry! That would freAk me out so bad. Hugs! I am glad she is ok!

July 1st, 2011, 09:41 PM
KnJ'sMomma727's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
omg how horrific!! I've had an instance like that but with a toy with a long cord.. ended up wrapped around dd's neck. She couldn't even talk or call out for help and her eyes were blood shot.. She was dying and I couldn't get it loose. Still haunts me and that was 4 years ago! Things like that never leave our memories.. But it's a good thing because it keeps us even more cautious than before. I don't buy gifts with long strings or cords for ANY child now and warn every parent I can. I'm sure you'll be doing the same but with floaties and swim advice. I'm glad she's ok. I've been looking everywhere for affordable swim classes.. Hope you have more luck that us!!

July 1st, 2011, 09:44 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
OMG that is so scarry, my dd almost drown once at 2 and we havnt gone swimming since. i am deathly afraid of my kids being in water..you should see how much water they get in the tub. hubby laughs at me because its literally like maby an inch of water but i know they could even drown in that and im not risking it. my eyes were on DD at the pool when that day and she slipped under so fast and i had my two month old son in my arms and it was just a horrible nightmare. i still have panic attacks and cant breath when i think about it.
July 1st, 2011, 10:21 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I took Josiah to swim lessons this past fall. It was a mom and me class, and for one of the activities, they had us put all of the LO's on a large foam mat with their feet dangling over the edge. The kids were supposed to practice going off the edge of the mat into their parent's arms. We had done it several weeks in a row, so during this particular class, they encouraged us all to take a bigger step back from the mat so they would actually have to get into the water without holding our hands and then be caught by us. Josiah happily jumped off, and slipped like a wet bar of soap between my hands. That wouldn't have been a big deal normally, I would have caught him again quickly. BUT... right after he slipped through my hands, a little boy on the other side of the mat jumped off, and the mat slid over the top of Josiah and I lost sight of him. He sank like a ton of bricks, and I have never been so scared in my life. His swim teacher didn't even see it happen. Fortunately, I was able to shove the mat out of the way and yank him up before he inhaled water, but it was absolutely the worst experience I have ever had as his Mommy.

July 1st, 2011, 10:40 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Awwww I am so sorry!!! For both you and all the other mommies that have had similar situations happen!! SCARY!!!

Try not to beat yourself up. The Y's usually have fairly reasonable swim lessons although I don't think they really teach actual swimming all that much personally. I think the Red Cross lessons are pretty good. Best thing to do to work on her swimming is to just spend a lot of time with her in the pool and have her work on getting the floaties and rings off. And warn warn warn her NEVER to get in the pool without a big person with her at all times!!! I taught swim lessons for years, using several methods including the one the Red Cross uses. Hugs hun...it is terrifying!

Oh and I almost drowned when I was 3 but it never bothered me one bit! I even swam competitively! She will be fine more than likely!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

July 2nd, 2011, 02:03 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Instead of arm floaties, which can deflate/pop you should go with some sort of USCG approved flotation device.

They make some that are specifically for swimming vs being on a boat.

Like this: Amazon.com: Stearns® Girl's Swim N Float Swimsuit / PFD: Sports & Outdoors

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
July 2nd, 2011, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
Instead of arm floaties, which can deflate/pop you should go with some sort of USCG approved flotation device.

They make some that are specifically for swimming vs being on a boat.

Like this: Amazon.com: Stearns® Girl's Swim N Float Swimsuit / PFD: Sports & Outdoors
This is a great idea. We have a swim party at my dads today (of all days) and I think I'll go get one of these before we head there.
With her having a cast on her arm it's hard to keep floaties on and now I'm terrified of the tube coming off. The cast also made it hard yesterday for her to try and keep her body up.
I had the worst dream last night.

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

July 2nd, 2011, 08:29 AM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So sorry you had to go through that. I'm terrified of something happening to Marina in the water. (((Hugs)))

July 2nd, 2011, 09:34 AM
Veteran
I'm so glad she's okay!

Anything happening with kids in water is so scary. I always worry more when I have the kids at the pool because they can slip under the water so fast. Stearns also makes these life jackets which our family loves:

Amazon.com: Stearns Kids Puddle Jumper Deluxe Life Jacket: Sports & Outdoors

We tried the swimsuit with the floaties inside and it didn't work very well for us, but I think it just depends on the kid. I hope you find something that makes you feel a little more secure with her in the water again.

Thank you so much .:Shortcake:. for my beautiful siggy!

July 2nd, 2011, 01:49 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't like some of hte swimsuits with floaties in them either! We had some made by Aquaforce and they were horrible!

Oh, not AquaForce. It was Aqualeisure was the bad one.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
July 2nd, 2011, 07:11 PM
Today went good in the pool.
Of course with a pair of arm floaties AND a tube on, I don't think shes going under. Lol.
Luckily all the kids had a good day in the pool.
My mom took dd5 for the night. And my dad and sm kept sd8 and ds9.
Dh and I are now w my brother and his wife watching the fight at a wing place.
Maybe no nightmares tonight.

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search