PSA: S/O major scares (Learn CPR)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 1st, 2011, 11:53 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Thanks for this! Soooooo important. Of course, my certification from working in childcare is expired but I continually read up on standards. Thanks for this again!!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

July 2nd, 2011, 07:26 AM
KnJ'sMomma727's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
would getting your medic friend to teach you be the same as going to red cross?

July 2nd, 2011, 05:13 PM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is so important! As a nurse I am cerified and also ACLS certified. The class is only a few hours and taking a few hours out of your life can maybe save a life or several. It is definately important to stay up to date. BLS standards actually changed this year.

July 2nd, 2011, 05:47 PM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I teach in an elementary school and we had a Life Flight EMT and his wife talk to the staff and all students (regardless of how young) about CPR and Heimlich. The wife of the EMT witnessed her dad dying of a heart attack when she was a child and has made it her life mission to educate children about CPR so that maybe they can make a difference for someone.

July 2nd, 2011, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess_ken View Post
BLS (basic life support) standards change EVERY year, lol!
I keep having to filter what I say on here, so as not to scare all the expectant mothers with all my experience. I'm screwed when these babies get here, I'm already looking into getting them each a bubble. My career sucks for expectant moms, lol!

So, ACLS standards where you live: still just a car battery and jumper cables as well?
It's crazy how fast things change. Another reason why it's important to stay up to date. As for the car battery and jumpers, pretty much plus those wonderful drugs!

July 2nd, 2011, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess_ken View Post
Lol, I love playing with the drugs! We had 100 expired Epipens (from a huge stash of supplies we got from the Navy) and got to practice stabbing mannequins! Oh, the simple pleasures in life!
Now that sounds like a good time

July 2nd, 2011, 09:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My 18 month old cousin drowned on a family camping trip when I was 20... I immediately got certified because it felt awful not being able to help. We lucked out because some nurses happened to be camping in the spot next to us. She didn't make it, but at least someone tried something.

July 3rd, 2011, 01:54 PM
~SarahDid~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~SarahDid~
CPR is required where I work, I'm actually due for my recert next month. When my DD was little I had to do the Heimlich on her, it's definitely different from an adult but with the training I felt like I just knew what to do naturally. Adrenaline is a beautiful thing. Any time someone codes on us it's so fast paced and chaotic but everyone just flows along like it's 2nd nature. I always recommend my family and friends to take a CPR course or at least read how to do it, it's that important.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search