Potty Training...(OT, Need Help from BTDT moms)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 4th, 2011, 07:42 AM
-Anna-'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am potty training Bella. We just started yesterday afternoon.

Here is my strategy:

I have her wearing big girl panties (no pull-ups or diapers) because she gets upset when is "goes" in them and I think that will encourage her to use the potty instead. It makes such a big mess, but I think that it will work the best. (We will use pull-ups at night)

We made a sticker chart together and she got to pick out special stickers to use on her chart when she uses the potty.

And, that's about as far as I have gotten. LOL How often should I take her? Any other tips?

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my very special siggy!
July 4th, 2011, 07:50 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Pick a few days where you aren't going to go anywhere. Let her wear her undies and put her on the toilet every 15-20 mins. It will cut down on the mess because chances are you will catch when she has to go. When she goes praise her and do your reward system. Hopefully at the end of a couple days she will get it and be more proactive about getting on the potty herself or telling you she needs to go.

I will throw this out there. You said Bella is 19 months? That is kind of young. I have heard plenty of people's success stories about training their kids that early, especially girls, so it isn't out of the question. But don't get discouraged if she just isn't ready yet. I say go ahead and try it! And if she ends up needing a little bit more time don't be hard fast against it. I have seen some parents who are trained more so than the kids, if you KWIM?

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
July 4th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbityBoo View Post
I will throw this out there. You said Bella is 19 months? That is kind of young. I have heard plenty of people's success stories about training their kids that early, especially girls, so it isn't out of the question. But don't get discouraged if she just isn't ready yet. I say go ahead and try it! And if she ends up needing a little bit more time don't be hard fast against it. I have seen some parents who are trained more so than the kids, if you KWIM?
I really think she is ready. She already tells me when she goes tee-tee or poo-poo and if I ask her if she needs to go potty, she tells me yes. She can pull up her bottoms on her own.

My biggest challenge right now with it, is that she tells me after she goes...How do I get her to recognize the feeling before she goes?

I'm hoping that we can get her potty trained why her daddy and I are both home with her all summer. That's really my motivation for doing it now. We both have tons of time to work with her on it.

July 4th, 2011, 08:06 AM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
We FINALLY got Leila potty trained not that long ago. She was very reluctant to even go near the potty even though we introduced it around 18 months. Something finally clicked eventually thank goodness! We are still working on poop training but I think she may even have night training down.

In any case, I'd recommend taking the undies off and doing bare bottom training. The undies feel enough like a diaper still that sometimes they don't connect that they are supposed to be holding it in. And my next train of thought is that she is still pretty young. It may click, or it may not. I would encourage and push for a couple of days and if things still aren't connecting then come back and try again later. Sometimes, they just aren't physically ready yet. My son, who was born in July of 09 is emotionally and cognitively ready but I just don't think he is physically ready. We sit and sit and sit and he has yet to make it. Second he walks away he pees down his leg. I figure all in time! I do think he will be PT soon though since he wants to be.

"They" say that around 22 months is a good window to get things to work, I know that puts you closer a little further to when baby is due but if this go doesn't seem successful I'd recommend waiting a month more, etc.

I'd take her to sit every 10-15 mins or so. She will either get it, or she won't. Good luck!! Let us know how it is going!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

July 4th, 2011, 08:33 AM
sarahmomma's Avatar Momma to 4
I definitely agree about naked training and watch her closely because you will start to notice the signs of her needing to go and make sure you put her on the potty when you do. If she is recognizing that she has gone pee but not that she needs to go it may take some time and after a week or so of trying if you havent gotten anywhere I reccomend stopping and waiting a month before you try again. If you keep pushing it with no success you will both end up frustrated at which point it might slow her progress. Caleb is 22 months and though the potty has been within his reach since he was about 15 months we have only recently started making it a regular part of our day but I am not expecting to get anywhere until he starts recognizing the urge before vs after it has already happened.
July 4th, 2011, 09:17 AM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I actually talked to my SIL about this and she suggested what many of the others suggested. Have a few days to just work on potty training. She took her kids every 15-30 minutes so that they would catch when she's going. Also, I thought that when I start training Marina I would keep a log starting a few days prior of when she does pee and poo and see if I can find a pattern like how soon after food/drink, naps, etc. Good luck and I hope it goes smoothly! I heard girls are easier to potty train and I really hope that's true! Oh, and as a reward, my SIL always gave the kids one M&M. I plan on doing something besides food though.

July 4th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina'sMommy View Post
I actually talked to my SIL about this and she suggested what many of the others suggested. Have a few days to just work on potty training. She took her kids every 15-30 minutes so that they would catch when she's going. Also, I thought that when I start training Marina I would keep a log starting a few days prior of when she does pee and poo and see if I can find a pattern like how soon after food/drink, naps, etc. Good luck and I hope it goes smoothly! I heard girls are easier to potty train and I really hope that's true! Oh, and as a reward, my SIL always gave the kids one M&M. I plan on doing something besides food though.
My friends little girl LOVE pickles, so she gets pickles for poo-poos. I thought it was cute.

We just have a sticker chart right now.

July 4th, 2011, 09:58 AM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Anna- View Post
My friends little girl LOVE pickles, so she gets pickles for poo-poos. I thought it was cute.

We just have a sticker chart right now.
Pickles for poo-poos! That is hilarious!

July 4th, 2011, 10:08 AM
AnnaandRyansMommy's Avatar Sarah
My DD is 18 months and we just got a little potty seat. She is telling me now right after she goes in her diaper. Sometimes she will stay "tinky" (stinky) right before she goes poop. One morning I gave her a ton of watered down juice, took her diaper off, spread waterproof crib pads all over the carpet and waited. Everytime she started to pee I would quick put her on the potty and praise her. She seems to get that the potty is a good thing. And I learned where she goes to pee, so I now know that is a sign that she is going to go. I don't think my DD is quite ready yet though because I don't think she is holding it long enough, she pees a little bit often.

I work with kids with autism at the preschool level, so a lot of my students are working on potty training. I have not seen pull-ups work well for any child. We do tell parents that if they are afraid to let them go in just underpants, to put the underpants on first, and the pull-up on over top so that they can experience the wet, uncomfortable feeling. Pull-ups and diapers work too well, you can't always feel the uncomfortable wetness.

Good luck with your potty training!!! Let us know how it goes. I hope that my DD may be ready closer to the end of the summer - and I'll be looking for your tips!

July 4th, 2011, 12:23 PM
~Meg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Tyler will be 3 in September and we are still working on it. But it's hard when I work and don't have a good three days to spend at home with him naked.
He knows when he needs to go but usually says afterwards.
Is Bella is school. Tyler does best at the school because his friends are doing it too. I have to have him trained in 2.5 months or he doesn't move up to the pre school room.
We read potty books and have an elmo sticker chart for when he goes. He also gets a sucker when he uses it. Although he has me suckered into giving him ice cream cones lol.
I think the easiest way so far is catching him right when he wakes up from bed or a nap. If he is dry then I know he needs to go. Yesterday he was half awake sitting on the potty going pee pee. But he did it and after they do. They just feel so proud of themselves and it helps for the next time he has to go.

July 4th, 2011, 05:17 PM
hotpinktulips's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We did what Jo from Super Nanny suggested for one of her families on her show, The Potty Dance!! I encouraged her to sit on the potty everytime I went and when she did go I would have EVERYONE in the house do this huge cheer and potty dance/song. She loved it, and was potty trained during the day by the time she was 2 and completely out of pull-ups by 3! She really was much easier to potty train then I expected.

mama!

~Special thanks to *Kiliki* for my adorable siggy~

July 4th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Veteran
My son was super easy to pee train, but pooping was a whole different story. One other thing that we ended up doing for him was dumping any poopoo out of the diaper/undies and into the potty and telling him "Poopoo goes in the potty." I can't remember where I got that tip, but it actually ended up making a big difference for him.

DD was pretty easy all around, but she had to go a lot more often than I had anticipated. We started her right before she turned two and she would have to go ever 20 minutes. That didn't really slow down until about 4 months after she was trained. Had I realized what a huge time commitment that was going to be, I would have just waited a few months to start.

Good luck!

Thank you so much .:Shortcake:. for my beautiful siggy!

July 4th, 2011, 08:52 PM
KnJ'sMomma727's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Consistency is best. Try to have a timer that goes off maybe every hour and have her sit on the potty and try to go. Then after a week or two make it an hour and a half.. and so on. until about 2 or 3 hours. And if she has to go potty between then encourage her to go. It's hard for you to help them recognize the feeling. It's something they need to distiguish themselfs. Never scold for accidents. Always praise for going on the potty. And I would deff put night time pull ups on for bed because bed time is the hardest. DD is 6 and still wets the bed. Her doc says it's about the muscle development and every child is different. Some don't develop it until 10.

July 4th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks ladies! Today went pretty good. No success stories, but she has been really excited about it. We ended up going a lot more often than every 20 minutes because she would come to me holding her self saying MOMMY TEETEE!! And we would run to the potty to just sit there. LOL

July 5th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We potty trained a lot later, right after my son turned three, but what worked for him was the naked potty training. We spent many days having him sit on the potty and it became so frustrating. But once we were ready at 3 to really push the issue, we let him run around naked for a day. It was only naked that he realized the sensations that come right before you have to go, and in the end he was trained in 48 hours (for day, night came 6 months later). I definitely think pullups during the day are a waste as the kids are still in diapers and don't realize the wet feeling.

As the other posters have said though, 18 months is quite early so don't be too worried if she just doesn't take to it. You may need to wait another 6 months and try again.

July 5th, 2011, 07:08 AM
-3-Hearts's Avatar She's Country.....
erin is going to be 26mths in a couple weeks, and i'm not even trying to train her. my ds trained on his own right before 3, and was totally trained within a couple days. i might start erin soon, but i honestly think that if you have to put your baby on the potty every half hour, then theyre not ready, or if theyre having several accidents a days for more than a few days. you just gotta see what works with her, and if its just not going anywhere, take a break, and pick it back up later just know, there arent any non potty trained college kids
July 5th, 2011, 07:12 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
With Elizabeth she decided she wanted to use the big girl potty. She did HORRIBLE when we had her in pullups but when we switched to big girl panties the going in her pants quit almost totally. She has had maybe two accidents (and never one in her bed) and that was because she was too busy playing to go potty and even then it was just enough to wet her panties before she ran to the potty.

ETA: Her incentive for going on her own (without my help...which we are still working on) is going to school.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search