What foods do you avoid?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 4th, 2011, 10:16 AM
AnnaandRyansMommy's Avatar Sarah
If you look online it seems that there are no safe foods for pregnant people other than all organic. I avoid soft cheese, hot dogs, I try to avoid luncheon meat (or microwave it to kill any potential bacteria). I also try to stay away from tuna. My DH read an article shortly before we were pregnant that it is best to stay away from all tuna. I'm trying to stay away from all caffeine, but the chemicals used to decaffinate things seem just as bad. It can make your head spin. I'm asking because I gave in today and got some California rolls. It's all cooked, which was my rationalization, but I'm sure my OB would not have recommended it - she doesn't like Flintstones vitamins because of the dye's and sugar substitutes. I'm at least trying to avoid all the "bad" stuff during the first half of the pregnancy when the major developments take place. I might be more lenient with myself later in the pregnancy. Odd rationalization, but I don't think I can handle no tuna for 9 months! I really really like tuna!!

July 4th, 2011, 10:21 AM
**rockinmomma**
I only have a can of tuna a week... bc honestly it's one of the few proteins I like right now. I just try moderation, I had one hot dog over the weekend... and in the very beginning of pregnancy I too had sushi... I even had the raw ones I think it's all about moderation... No one thing is going to hurt your baby, besides just think of how much plastic stuff we're exposed to...
July 4th, 2011, 10:38 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't avoid much honestly. I have eaten lunch meats and hot dogs. I have coffee in the morning. I try not to drink soda, try to stick to water or milk. But I don't over indulge in a lot either. I have eaten sushi once since finding out I'm pregnant and that's probably the only time I will this pregnancy.

But this is my 4th and honestly, none of my OB's or midwives have ever told me to stay away from lunch meat and that kind of stuff. The only reason why I know that is because of these boards.

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
July 4th, 2011, 10:46 AM
mcfly's Avatar Lil' Old Lady In Training
I'm not really avoiding anything, other than alcohol. I eat a really nutritious, balanced diet normally, that primarily consists of locally produced organic veggies, whole grains, and meats, and I just don't have the patience, time, and energy to go messing with that. I had salmon sashimi for lunch last week and I might have sushi again today, suck it!

Oh and I guess you could say I'm avoiding lunch meats and hot dogs, since I don't eat those sort of foods anyways.

July 4th, 2011, 11:21 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
nothing really...i dont eat seafood so no worries on the tuna.
July 4th, 2011, 12:14 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I avoid grains, beans and potatoes, processed foods (which does include luncheon meats ad hotdogs-but I avoid these all the time), refined sugars and artificial sweeteners. Of course I do all this when not pregnant too.

I will eat sushi, but avoid California rolls because they are made with a processed fake food that has been known to be contaminated with both listeria AND some type of bacteria that makes it glow in the dark...ewww!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
July 4th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
not much really.. well other then things I already stay away anyhow, like sugar and grains/starches. I have coffee in the am.. I have the occasional soda.. I have blue cheese(made w/ pasteurized milk though), I have tuna(actually had it today ), I eat ham all the time with my eggs.

July 4th, 2011, 01:04 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't really avoid too much. I don't eat much processed food, soda, coffee, sugar etc. anyway so not much to avoid there. Right now I'm focusing on getting enough protein and fresh veggies in my diet. Meat and veggies have not been appealing to me lately.

July 4th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
I avoid grains, beans and potatoes, processed foods (which does include luncheon meats ad hotdogs-but I avoid these all the time), refined sugars and artificial sweeteners. Of course I do all this when not pregnant too.

I will eat sushi, but avoid California rolls because they are made with a processed fake food that has been known to be contaminated with both listeria AND some type of bacteria that makes it glow in the dark...ewww!
You make my holistic nutritionist heart happy just wanted you to know...!!

July 4th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Super Mommy
I avoid canned tuna at all times but from what I understand you can have the light version once a week if you must. I would opt for canned wild salmon or sardines if you like those at all. I do avoid most of the foods you mentioned even when I am not pregnant but I do not avoid sushi. I have a place that makes brown rice sushi and I ask them to make it on a clean cutting board with a clean knive that has not touched raw fish. I think you an have a cup of coffee a day if you are not sensitive to caffeine. I still have an aversion to it and I drink a pregnancy tea that I really like. I have to be a 100% honest and admit that I'm having a harder time avoiding all sugar and flour products but I'm really trying to work on it!

July 4th, 2011, 02:14 PM
-Anna-'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't really avoid anything anymore. When I was pregnant with Bella, I didn't eat/drink anything that I was not supposed to. This time is completely different. I am still drinking caffeine once a day (because it really helps calm my tummy) and I eat lunch meat, tuna, and hot dogs...

I really only avoid medications and alcohol (which I don't drink anyways).

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my very special siggy!
July 4th, 2011, 05:26 PM
AnnaandRyansMommy's Avatar Sarah
Anna - I did the same thing with my first. But with my first I had all the time on my hands, this time around I don't have the time or energy to completely change my diet. Sometimes I feel really guilty though, because I think I had maybe one hotdog my entire first pregnancy, and felt like a failure every bite (but it was goooooood). This time around I don't feel as connected with the pregnancy and I am not obsessing as much over everything I do and how it will affect the well being of the baby. I'm still eating better than before I was pregnant, but I'm giving in and eating some lunch meats and I'm eating more processed foods. I guess it's more my guilt than anything else.

Also, I didn't know that about California rolls!! And I thought I was doing what was better! I can't win. My first midwife said not to get sushi from a chinese buffet type of place, but if you go to a good sushi restaurant it's probably very safe, but if you don't know what you're doing it can be bad. Since I obviously don't know what I'm doing, I guess I need to stay away from all that too. I cannot drink caffeine anymore, even if I wanted too. I have been off caffeine for 7 weeks, if I drink a cup of coffee or soda now I will be bouncing off the walls for hours and hours! So frustrating, I'm gonna go eat some ice cream..

July 5th, 2011, 09:19 AM
jesridge's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, I avoid excessive caffeine, alcohol, fish that is high in mercury, and medications. Everything else I leave up to moderation. I still drink soda and coffee, eat sushi and lunch meat, etc. I just don't have a ton of it.

Born 12/30/11 and absolutely perfect!

July 5th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Super Mommy
I am not avoiding much.. besides caffeine (don't drink coffee of pop anyway) and alcohol. I have been eating fish (although sushi is gross to me) and hot dogs. The only thing I have avoided is lunch meat, based on dr recommendation. Other than that, everything in moderation!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search