Zoedog is very sick (good update, but I'm still worried)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2011, 09:23 AM
mcfly's Avatar Lil' Old Lady In Training
My little puppy Zoe is quite ill and I'm really worried about her. She's only a little under 12 weeks old, so she hasn't had all of her shots yet, and the vet thinks it could be parvo. Untreated, the mortality rate is 91%, so by catching it fairly early she has a good chance of survival (over 85%), but if she's been asymptomatic for a little while she may not make it. And if the vet bills get too high, we won't be able to continue treating her.

I'm doing more reading about it right now, and it's scaring me even more. Apparently Rottweilers and AmPBTs are especially prone to the more serious form (and she's 1/4 of each of those breeds), and puppies that aren't vaccinated (I was told she'd had her first set of shots, but I have no proof of it, and even just that first set isn't enough to protect 100%) have a much, much higher mortality rate.

Anyways, I booked an appointment at the vet for about an hour from now, and since I'm at work Paul is going to have to take her. She'll be there in quarantine for at least a few days, which is going to be extremely expensive, although it's well worth it to ensure her safety.

I would really appreciate your thoughts and prayers, ladies. I'm just sick about it, I love my little dog so much.

Last edited by mcfly; July 7th, 2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: added more info
July 7th, 2011, 09:27 AM
KnJ'sMomma727's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
T & P. I've studied animal law during criminal justice and we learned a little about parvo. I hope you guys caught it in time if thats the case.

July 7th, 2011, 09:50 AM
~SarahDid~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~SarahDid~
Parvo is a serious disease BUT we had all 5 of our dogs get it at once and they all survived. They're pitbull/lab mix. I remember having to give them gatorade through a syringe when they came home from the vet. It is very scary and I'm sorry you're going through this, your puppy is in my thoughts and prayers.

July 7th, 2011, 09:53 AM
jesridge's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry to hear about your puppy. The vet will take good care of her. Sending happy cuddles her way.

Born 12/30/11 and absolutely perfect!

July 7th, 2011, 10:52 AM
-3-Hearts's Avatar She's Country.....
awe someone told me if your dog gets parvo, that it can live int he ground for up to 6mths and infect other animals. is that true? does anyone know?

<3

<3
July 7th, 2011, 11:06 AM
^ I believe it is true, but it would only affect unvaccinated animals, so (God willing) she'll live to socialize with other dogs right away. I will just have to be extremely careful who she meets and where.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

She's getting the parvo test right now. Paul just texted me and told me we will know very soon whether she has it or not. I'm so scared.

July 7th, 2011, 11:09 AM
how long have you had her? she could have possibly got it wherever you got her from. and if thats true, then the other pups are probably infected also

<3

<3
July 7th, 2011, 11:13 AM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Praying for your puppy Hope she gets through this and is stronger than ever!

July 7th, 2011, 11:14 AM
We've had her for a little over 3 weeks, so it's unlikely she's had it for very long. (Again, if she has it.) And she hasn't played with another young pup for almost a week and a half, so I'm not worried about any of her friends getting sick. Just other animals in the area.

It's so contagious that she could have picked it up anywhere, even licking a stick on the ground that a sick dog touched last month or something. Or if she met a vaccinated dog whose immunity had worn off a bit so it was infected but asymptomatic. If it turns out she has parvo I'm going to put a big sign up in the alley behind our house and the street in front so that everyone in the neighbourhood knows to avoid the area if they have puppies that aren't done their vaccinations yet

July 7th, 2011, 11:23 AM
YES! IT ISN'T PARVO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so relieved. But the downside is that we don't know exactly what it is, so we can't treat it just yet. So stay tuned for the latest update in Miss Zoe Vetbill's life. They're giving her the next set of shots right away even though it's a little early, and keeping her on an IV for a little while. But things are looking up.

July 7th, 2011, 11:45 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-scruff View Post
YES! IT ISN'T PARVO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so relieved. But the downside is that we don't know exactly what it is, so we can't treat it just yet. So stay tuned for the latest update in Miss Zoe Vetbill's life. They're giving her the next set of shots right away even though it's a little early, and keeping her on an IV for a little while. But things are looking up.
That is wonderful news!

What are her symptoms? I don't remember reading that but sorry if I missed it.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
July 7th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Explosive runny poop with blood in it, and lethargy. She also seemed very dehydrated this morning.

July 7th, 2011, 11:58 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Poor puppy. Maybe he is just regular old not feeling well and the runny poo is irritating him causing the blood.

I hope it is something simple. Keep us posted.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
July 7th, 2011, 11:58 AM
KnJ'sMomma727's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
sounds like an intestinal issue. Hope she feels better soon

July 7th, 2011, 11:59 AM
awe maybe she ate something she wasnt supposed to when you weren't looking

<3

<3

Tags
not awesome

Topic Tools Search this Topic