I'm not cut out for this

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2011, 12:19 PM
SoCalJB's Avatar Veteran
I went to my 12 week appt today (I'm 12w5d according to me). The midwife couldn't find the heartbeat with the doppler, but she found the baby on the ultrasound with its heart beating away. The machine was tiny and kind of crappy, so it doesn't measure heart rates or anything and the image was much fuzzier than the one we got two weeks ago. What kind of wigs me out is that once again the baby is measuring 4 days behind. Two weeks ago, with the superior machine that didn't make my baby look like a huge jelly bean, the baby measured a day ahead.

I know I probably shouldn't be so concerned with the discrepancies, but it's playing havoc with my already hormone-addled brain. The baby also didn't move during the scan, which I guess could mean it's sleeping, but taken altogether it's a formula for driving me insane. Could inferior equipment be the reason why the ob ultrasounds have measured me consistently four days behind? I know it could be the machine, or it could mean that the baby hasn't been growing properly since the last scan.

Dh and I had been planning to make the news public after today, but now I really don't want to. I just don't feel secure enough with this pregnancy yet. He's super disappointed, and I know my mom will be livid, and yeah, I realize I'm nuts, but I don't know what else to do. Pregnancy is just too nerve wracking for me. I'm beginning to see the wisdom in having an only child.
July 7th, 2011, 12:27 PM
KnJ'sMomma727's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
if you heard the heart beat you shouldn't worry.

July 7th, 2011, 12:32 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
COnsidering the measurements are base don averages of other babies that have been measured in the past, they are just a guideline. Did you have an ultrasound at the time you were ovulating to show exactly whenyou ovulated? If not, did you have IVF? Those are really the only way to know exactly when conception occured. Even with charting, IUI, triggers, etc. the egg can still release early or late. a 1-5 day discrepancy is nothing!

And yes, less sophisticated equipment can indeed be causing those discrepancies.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
July 7th, 2011, 12:34 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
this is a preview for all the real scares of when they come hehe

i honestly wouldnt worry hun if you heard the heartbeat but i know its easier said then done.
July 7th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Keep in mind too that the measurement is based on teh crown to rump measurement. If baby is slightly curled up, or if they don't place the starting part of the line in exactly the same place it will change the measurement too,. As will the angle the baby is in when they measure.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
July 7th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Have you been consistently measuring 4 days behind? If so, it is likely that you conceived a few days later than you thought. If more ultrasounds are putting the baby at 4 days behind than the last one which put it at 1 day ahead, then it sounds like the baby is developing just fine.

When is your next appointment? If you will not be going back for four weeks, I would go ahead and make the announcement. You have seen the heartbeat and it does sound to me like baby is developing consistently (unless I missed something).

I can understand how nerve-wracking it must be, though.

July 7th, 2011, 12:36 PM
SoCalJB's Avatar Veteran
I didn't get to hear it, but I did see it. I know everything is probably fine, I'm a spazz, yada yada. I just had such a good appt two weeks ago, when my dates were vindicated and everything was peachy, and now I'm right back to being behind again. It's frustrating.
July 7th, 2011, 12:39 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
I'm sorry that you're feeling frustrated However, I think the only thing that you can do right now is have hope that the baby is perfectly fine. If the doc isn't concerned, then try not to let it worry you too much! I know, easier said than done!!
I agree with the pp who said that if you saw/heard a heartbeat then I would think everything is just fine

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
July 7th, 2011, 12:50 PM
SoCalJB's Avatar Veteran
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Nothing like pregnancy to make me a raging pessimist. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I didn't ovulate late since I got my bfp on cycle day 24. When they measure me on the little mobile office machines, I always tend to measure 4 days behind. Two weeks ago when I got measured on the big, ultracool machine, I measured a day ahead. I'm probably just looking for trouble, but anyone who has had a missed miscarriage probably knows the feeling of impending doom that follows me to every ultrasound. Little discrepancies make me nervous that things aren't progressing correctly. I was hoping I'd feel relief finally hitting the 12 week mark, and I think it's driving everyone crazy that I don't.
July 7th, 2011, 12:54 PM
vickwithpc's Avatar Super Mommy
GO SPREAD THE NEWS!!!! It will really help with that "not - feeling - pg" thing you've got going on. With people congratulating you and making you feel special, that will pull it all together.
The other gals are right. 4 days smaller/bigger....so what, those are averages and babies in the womb don't stand up straight for measuring.

EVERY single one of our kiddos will pop out at different measurements. Variety is the spice of life!!

GO SPREAD THE NEWS!!! Can't wait to hear how much fun it was for you!!

Aiden 1/9/12 !
DS 9/9/04
DD 2/3/01
Happily married for 16 years!

July 7th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If the machine is old the measurements can be off and it is really nothing to worry about. I know, easier said than done. But the heartbeat is by far the most important thing at this point.

I went to my OB for the first time at 8 weeks after being discharged from my RE. The baby was measuring four days smaller than it had been four days earlier at the RE. Of course I completely panicked and no one could talk me down. I called the RE and begged them to see me, and of course all was fine and baby was right on track having grown 6 days growth in 5 days since my last scan at their office.

July 7th, 2011, 01:04 PM
So the OBs machine is *consistently* measureing 4 days behind? And a different machine gave you the 'right' dates? To me that means that the baby is measuring *consistently*. I woul dbe more concerned if the office amchine suddenly measured the baby 10 days behind, or even 5 days ahead.

Think of it this way. You get on teh scale at home and you weigh 155 pounds every single time. You go to teh doctor and weigh 160 pounds, but still weigh 155 at home just like always. Does that mean you gained 5 pounds in the hour inbetween when you weighed yourself at home? No it means that the doctors scale is calbrated differently. Two months later you go back and your home scale says 150 for a few weeks. The docs scale then says 155. You lost five pounds, regardless of what the two scales give as a measurement. Same wiht the US machine. If the same machine measures baby 4 days behind, conssistently, it means the machine is calibrated differently, not that baby is actually behind.

On the bright side is it gives you 4 more days before you get pressured to induce and baby gets more time to grow and be healthy at the end.

Sail Back to Me
July 7th, 2011, 01:08 PM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't worry. Each tech can measure a little differently than another tech. Plus with the equipment changes you will get some difference as well. As long as you saw the hb and your baby is growing you should be just fine. I know it's hard not to worry though.

July 7th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
So the OBs machine is *consistently* measureing 4 days behind? And a different machine gave you the 'right' dates? To me that means that the baby is measuring *consistently*. I woul dbe more concerned if the office amchine suddenly measured the baby 10 days behind, or even 5 days ahead.
I completely agree. How many ultrasounds have you had on the OB's machine? If they have been consistently 4 days behind since the beginning, then that means that baby is developing right on schedule.

And seeing the heartbeat is just as good as hearing it. (Maybe not for mom's peace of mind, but as far as a healthy, developing fetus is concerned.)

I agree with the person who said to go ahead and announce because it will help you feel more pregnant and might actually allay some of your worry. Obviously, it's a personal decision, but I think keeping it a secret might actually cause more stress.

How long until your next appointment?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search