Daycare....almost missed the cut off.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2011, 03:47 PM
~Meg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I went into the director while picking my son up today and asked about the infant waiting list. She looked at me and said please tell me you don't need it in December or January!
I told her no either Feb or March depending on if I want 6 or 12 weeks off. She said that was ok. Just in my sons 2 yr class 3 moms are expecting around new years. We get any open spots first before outsiders, I'm so glad I decided to tell them I was expecting.

So remember if your little ones will be in daycare..... Look now! The good ones have huge waiting list.

July 7th, 2011, 03:50 PM
mcfly's Avatar Lil' Old Lady In Training
Wow! I hadn't even thought of that yet, thanks for the heads up.

While we're on the topic, how exactly does one choose a daycare? I mean obviously you don't want it to be super overcrowded or dirty, and certification seems to be a good thing to see, but I have noooo idea where to start - there are SO many daycares out there!

July 7th, 2011, 03:55 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I fortunately won't need daycare, but I do know that the ones in my area (at least the good ones) fill up fast! Glad you were able to get a spot when you did!

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
July 7th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I started by looking into daycares in the state. The state keeps a list of the investigations they do and the marks they get against them.
This is Ohio's site. It's step up to quality. All of our centers have a banner on the building with their star rating if they so choose to display it. It helps you know what the state looks for and what you should be too.
I toured a bunch and a few close to home I just walked in and didn't feel comfortable. The kids seemed out of control at one. It was old and kind of dirty feeling. I though their diaper and food area where too close together. I think you just get a feeling in the place. Another everyone raved about. It had a huge list to get on and when we toured it, Jason and I both felt the toddler room was too crammed. Another the babies where with toddlers up until 24 months. I hated that thought. We put him in with a private sitter we grew up with. Only until 18 months when I thought this speech needed worked on and he should be around more kids his own age.
I toured one right by my work when I first got this job. Which is kind of out of the way for Jay if he gets off early but oh well. I fell in love with it. The infant room is for little babies and the second infant room is when they start crawling until they are 1. Then 1-2 and 2-3 etc etc. The babies at 9 months old could put away toys because they learn to use pictures of where things go. And all the kids read before they even enroll in kindergarten. It was clean. The teachers had been there forever ( HUGE PLUS) you don't want teachers coming and going. Everything was spotless and smelled good. The food list was amazing. Of course the pricetag showed it. When I had first looked into it, Jay wouldn't agree with the price. ( Infants are the most expensive) and then once his speech needed worked on and he needed to be around kids his age so Jay agreed with me.
It stinks having only one kid because they don't have another to kind of shadow. And he didn't really have any cousins or anything to hang out with. So daycare was the only way to learn to interact with other kids.

Here is another link. It is Ohio based as well but lists what you should look for.
www.childcareohio.org

Google your states name and daycare inspections and a bunch will pop up

I just checked while I was on the site and saw last months yearly for Ty's daycare. And there were a few things they got nailed on. The older kids playground had one spot of rust on it. It must be why it was tore out last month and is being replaced lol. And that one staff didn't have her 4 year background check ran.
The third hit was a childs parents didn't sign the policy paper for this year. 1 parent out of 200 kids lol.

Last edited by ~Meg; July 7th, 2011 at 04:13 PM.
July 7th, 2011, 04:09 PM
melissa_rae's Avatar Ready to be a Mommy.
I am so torn about this. I dont know if I want to put the baby in daycare or have family watch her/him. I mean we have tons of family that would love to watch the baby its just I dont really know if I would trust them with my kid (does that sound bad) I just really dont trust strangers. I dont know. I might decided to be a SAHM if DF can get a good job. If not then I am kinda screwed. We talked about it the other night and if DF doesnt have a job by then he will just stay home and watch her/him. Which I am totally fine with. I would rather have him watch my baby then strangers or family. I feel horrible saying that though.

"It's hard to wait around for something
that might not never be,
but it's harder to let go when it is EVERYTHING
you ever wanted."
July 7th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prayingtobeamommy View Post
I am so torn about this. I dont know if I want to put the baby in daycare or have family watch her/him. I mean we have tons of family that would love to watch the baby its just I dont really know if I would trust them with my kid (does that sound bad) I just really dont trust strangers. I dont know. I might decided to be a SAHM if DF can get a good job. If not then I am kinda screwed. We talked about it the other night and if DF doesnt have a job by then he will just stay home and watch her/him. Which I am totally fine with. I would rather have him watch my baby then strangers or family. I feel horrible saying that though.

I was the same way. I still don't and Tyler is almost 3. Besides daycare the only ones I trust are his grandparents who live next door. Even then I only trust his grandma not grandpa. My dad and step mom have never even watched him and they live 5 mins away.
My mom watched him once when I flew out to visit and went out with a friend who lives out that way. I trusted my mom more then anyone and still called over and over. I think it was just because he didn't know her I was worried.

July 7th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Megan you are so right about checking into a daycare before you decide on it! Since the area that I live in is SO big there are a TON of daycares, both centers and in home care (where people run daycare out of their homes). Unfortunately it's a common occurrence here for children to be injured or even killed at some of them because they are not very well regulated or run.

And honestly, this may not be the case everywhere, but if you live somewhere like I do, money really will buy you happiness! In the Dallas/Ft. Worth area a GOOD daycare...where you wouldn't have to worry about your child's safety...runs a minimum of $500 per week for the first child. I know, I know, that's outrageously priced, but it's also unfortunately true.

Every state will provide information about daycares. Any violations, incidents, etc. that have occurred. Please, please, please check into this before leaving your child somewhere new! I'm not trying to scare anyone, just trying to provide information that someone may not have otherwise thought of/realized.

July 7th, 2011, 04:38 PM
$500 a week! Wow! I'm going to have to make some phone calls. I got a list of 10 daycares in my city that don't have any violations or only have a couple of violations from several years ago (I just looked on the website and there are some that have DOZENS of violations - whoa!) and I'll call them today and see what their prices and wait lists are like. But I don't know. If it ends up being more than $400 a week, I might as well stay home for the first year or two, since I barely make more than that now and I don't anticipate a raise any time soon.

July 7th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Luckily in Ohio they aren't so expensive. But on another board I'm on the price differences in areas are huge. Some are so cheap and some are so expensive. Luckily we are kind of in the middle. Tylers is $240/week for infants. And at the private sitters home daycare it was $150/week for all ages. So it wasn't a huge increase for him to be closer to me during work hours and to know he was learning what he needed to and in a safe spot. Most even have cameras so you can log on at work and watch what they are doing.

July 7th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I know that my city is on the expensive side, but who knows. Since Paul and I aren't married I may qualify for some sort of government subsidy, but I'm not 100% on that. Honestly I would much rather stay home if the cost is comparable, but I will have to wait to make that decision until after I actually make some phone calls.

I wish everyone at my work knew I was pregnant so I could just call now! But it would look pretty suspicious for me to be asking questions about infant day care when they know I don't have kids, so it'll have to wait.

July 7th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-scruff View Post
$500 a week! Wow! I'm going to have to make some phone calls. I got a list of 10 daycares in my city that don't have any violations or only have a couple of violations from several years ago (I just looked on the website and there are some that have DOZENS of violations - whoa!) and I'll call them today and see what their prices and wait lists are like. But I don't know. If it ends up being more than $400 a week, I might as well stay home for the first year or two, since I barely make more than that now and I don't anticipate a raise any time soon.
Yeah, it's crazy! Seriously, the only people we know that have kids in daycare are ones where both parents work and both make very large salaries.

July 7th, 2011, 04:51 PM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the tip! We are still deciding if we want to go with our current babysitter or not. Will definately be making calls tomorrow when Marina naps!

July 7th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I love my sons daycare and he's been there since he was 10 weeks old and I'm already set for baby number 2 to go there. I did a ton of research and visited every one in town, and it is true - the more expensive it is, the nicer it is. I also did not want to leave my son with family or even a nanny and he has thrived from the social interaction at a young age. But my son will be moving to a pre school in September so i won't be getting any discount for the second and will be paying between $2800-$3000/month for daycare/preschool which seems insane.

July 7th, 2011, 10:18 PM
jenny poo27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
im in canada i get a full year mat leave and already have baby on the waiting list for daycare, here you can wait up to two years for a good daycare

July 7th, 2011, 10:39 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
thankfully no daycare is needed for us but yay happy you got a spot!
July 8th, 2011, 08:21 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Oh geez! I am glad you told them and got on the list.

I thought I needed to find some day care for this baby at least the same two days a week that Elizabeth goes to daycare (she started this past Tuesday) but Mrako says NO WAY. *rollseyes* He says no daycare until the baby can talk. So now it is up to him to figure out what this baby is going to do 5 days a week.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search