How Did You Decide on a Name??

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Veteran
My husband (I feel weird writing "DH" - just FYI) and I are really struggling with names. I realize we have LOTS of time to figure it out but does anyone have any tips or a helpful book or website(s)? There are so many choices and we're trying to meet in the middle...I want a name that isn't super popular, as I grew up with one of those names where five kids would whip around every time someone said, "Jessica!"

Any names starting with 'B' are out since our last name starts with a 'B.'

I struggle because some of the names I like, he doesn't and vice versa (for example, I like River - which he thinks is silly and he likes Riley - which I think sounds like a name for a dog - no offense for any Riley's out there!)

So much pressure!...giving someone a name!!!
July 13th, 2011, 01:32 PM
BSandDsMommy's Avatar Mommy to three boys
I love unique names, and I start with common/uncommon names I like, then I switch letters around to see what it could be or start rhyming other names to it, not much help, but that is what I do, my name is Kisty and I try to name my kids with uncommon but cute names

Baby girl due Dec. 2014

Make a pregnancy ticker
July 13th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
It can be a process, I don't have much advice because my kids names are very rare and are not found in a book

Like you said though you do have a lot of time so I am sure you will find the perfect name in no time, there is many websites out there just google baby names and you will get lots

GL
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 11mo 10/10/13

July 13th, 2011, 01:37 PM
hoping4more
Well me and hubby fought over the first one. I wanted joshua I know it's used a lot, but I love it. He wanted gabriel, I gave in and we have Gabriel Joshua. Then with our second I begged him, and he agreed Jesse Daniel. I just always loved that name. The last one we spent a long time looking in baby name books with little luck. Finally one night while i was just rambling off names from the book my hubby said i like that one, I said which one, he said Gianna. I thought that sounds weird.... and wrote it on our list. I then looked up all the meanings of the names we had picked and the only meaning I liked was Gianna's, see we had just had a m/c and this pregnancy happened 1 month afterwards, and we always wanted a girl... I usually stay Biblical but I don't like Biblical girl names, anyway Gianna means God is gracious. As soon as I read that i knew that was her name. I then spent countless hours trying to find a middle name that sounded ok, I could only find Isabella... hubby had no complaints. I'm not even thinking of names right now though. I suppose I'll start looking through my book in a couple of months.
July 13th, 2011, 01:46 PM
katiebug02's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For us, it always took lots of disagreements. Sometimes I would come up with the perfect name and sometimes he come up with it. We just "knew" when we found the right one.

Proud Mommy of Eric(11), Caitlyn(9), Aidan(6), Mason(3) and Eliana(2/21/2012)
July 13th, 2011, 01:51 PM
HonestMamma's Avatar Bish!
I usually look at the top 100 baby names for boys and girls and go through the list. We make a list of the names off there that we like. We usually hate the top 20...lol. Then we narrow it down from there.

As of right now, we are set with our boy's name. No girl name yet. There is a cool site that will help you find names for you. You pick out 6 you like and it will find ones like it. The link is here

July 13th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
We usually get out a piece of paper, and we write down our favorite names. We mark out any the other dislikes, and either agree on one of the remaining or think up something similar to something we have written down.
July 13th, 2011, 02:02 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
we talked about it a lot!! We actually had names picked that we both liked...then i got kinda wishy washy after we knew he was a boy but i think i just wanted to be sure it was the right name b/c we did end up going with the original choice. This time we have a boy name set for sure, but i'm not sure about my old girl name, so it'll probably be a girl!! We picked the boy name this time b/c it was our 2nd choice with Tyler.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
July 13th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Veteran
You girls are so awesome! Thank you for the advice/tips/personal experiences! Keep 'em coming!
July 13th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The website Mel mentioned might be very helpful to you. I thought that right away, when I read your post. Honestly, we just keep talking about it and throwing names out there and compiling a list of our favorites. Eventually, one just seems perfect. We won't even get too serious about it, until we know the gender of the baby.

Thank you so much Kris2you for my lovely siggy!!!

July 13th, 2011, 03:22 PM
gingerrae's Avatar Veteran
I always look at baby name sites and then write down the names I like and the meanings and then show DH and he says the ones he likes and doesn't like. With our DS#1 DH really liked the name Levi I wasn't too fond of it but I said ok. With DS#2, Jeran, we got his name from a book we were reading we both knew that was it when we heard it. DS#3 was the hardest so far, Elijah is the only name we could agree we liked but I was so afraid that Elijah would get shortened to Eli and that having Levi and Eli would be very confusing, but that was really the only name that fit well.
July 13th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Super Mommy
With our two kids, naming them was pretty easy! I always loved the name "Bella" but DH wanted something more 'adult' like and his grandmother's name is Isabella. He suggested we name her that and I said SURE! We call her Bella all the time but she also likes to be called Isabella. If she had been a boy we wanted the name Jackson, but did not like the nickname "Jack". Dh (again) suggested we call him Jaxsen and his nickname would then be "Jax". So once we had a boy, we didn't even argue over names! Jaxsen is what it was!

Now this baby, we already have our names set aside and again, we both made suggestions and liked eachothers choices! Easy peasy!

July 13th, 2011, 03:46 PM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
I am in the same boat as you. DH and I do not agree on boys names. girls names —*no problem. boys names —*i like, he hates then he likes, I want to vomit. actually he has like 3 he loves, which are definite nos for me, vincent is one, which makes me cringe (no offense to any vinny mommies out there). it's just not me.
July 13th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Super Mommy
I go through name books and web pages and write down the ones I like and get db to look at them.... Usually he doesn't like any of them I like unique names that are not too common but not to outthere and nothing to classic but db likes crazy video game fantasy sounding names that make me cringe or all the really common names.
Names always cause a never ending argument until one of us gives in ( I won with dd's name so something tells me I won't be so lucky this time ^^)
but I don't want my kid to be made funny because she has a really silly sounding name :/ I am really not looking forward to starting this naming process again lol
July 13th, 2011, 05:03 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
With Emily, it was a name I had always loved and it was the only one Jeff liked on my list. I'm not sure what we'll do if we have another girl. We went round and round on names for girls because originally I was concerned with a name that was so popular.

July 13th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Super Mommy
DD (Ella) is named after my grandmother who died when I was 13. After we decided on it, we found out that it was also DH's great grandmother's name so it was perfect. The middle name was harder to come up with, but we just talked about the different ones that we liked and agreed on Breanna. It sounded better with Ella than any of the other names we liked.

This time we haven't agreed on a girl name, but we do have a boy first name picked out (Darwin) after Charles Darwin because DH is really into evolution. We like names that aren't that common, and you don't hear Darwin very often. I actually have never known anyone named Darwin. When we had DD, Ella wasn't as popular as it is now either.

I have heard that writing down the names you and DH like on a board, or somehwere you walk by often helps because as you walk by it everyday you will decide that you like one name more than the others. Sometimes you decide a name you thought you liked isn't as great as it originally seemed, sometimes the name DH picked out that you didn't like grows on you and ends up on your like list.

July 14th, 2011, 06:00 AM
BrittanyLBH's Avatar (Formerly DueFeb2012)
I've bought so many books, and been on so many websites, and in my opinion, they never did me any good, other than to tell me the meanings and alternate spellings of names that I already liked.

The thing about them is, the want as many names as possible, so they cram in so many that 80% of them are just... not real names. Not in English-Speaking countries, at least. All so they can call the title 200,000 Baby Names! When really, it's 80% made-up crud like Xii, Oxnew, and Bal.

We'd been bouncing names around since we first started dating, so we already had a good idea of what we liked, and had a much shorter list to pick from.

That website someone mentions was good, because they show you names based on the ones you already like, and you can hide the ones you hate so they won't keep popping up. Go to that one if you can find the address. <3

July 14th, 2011, 03:19 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
brandon and i both have a lot going on in our lives right now besides the pregnancy, and he's never had kids before, so we haven't discussed it at ALL, other than perhaps i choose the girl first name/boy middle name, and vice versa for him (as long as we can agree to a point). my other kids weren't that hard, i guess.
i had a very hard time agreeing on names with my 3 kids' dads, so we basically just wrote a list of names we liked, and then matched up what we could live with. we never had a girl name for timmy, because we found out he was a boy before we had agreed on a girl name-- his first name was the same as his dad's, and we gave him michael for a middle name after each of our little brothers (my older two actually have five uncle mikes). melissa was thought to be a boy, and we were going to name her nicodemia john, because nicodemis is unique and we liked it, and would've called her nick (john is tim's middle name). i knew her middle name had to be may because that's my paternal grandma's middle name (her mother, daughter, and my cousin, as well, and i was jealous my whole life that i was on the wrong side of the family to have May be my own middle name-- it went down through the girls). and melissa was just my first choice-- tim wanted jessica, but i didn't, and i believe firmly that mom gets the final say-- not that i can override the dad and choose a name he hates, but melissa was on our list and that's what i wanted. as for nick, i was 3 out of 3 wrong on guessing the gender, and we had decided to name him nicole-- not sure now if we had a middle name. when he came out a boy, we hadn't even chosen a male name, and it took a couple hours, but then mike suggested nicholas-- we had never discussed that before, and didn't even associate it with nicole for a few weeks after naming him. but it seemed right. i have my heart set on sylvia. i don't want a jr., but since both of my other sons have Michael for amiddle name, it seems fitting to do that again. i wanted sylvia last time, but mike pissed and moaned that it was an old lady name. i told him, not in europe," and he said, "well, we're not in europe," snottily. he knows how much i like euriopean cultures and names. grrrr. brandon is VERY laid back. he's okay with not finding out the gender, and though he's a little worried that it's not his baby (MEN! lol) and wants a dna test, he's been very laid back about everything, and wants to help me out with the baby whether it's his or not. we're not dating, so please don't jump all over me on that. to each her own.
good luck to everyone deciding names!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

July 14th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Coby Jaylen Aubriya mom
i dont know if we'll ever agree lol we also like uncommon names

Tags
first trimester , names , pregnancy , support

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search