Log In Sign Up

Private forum requirements (Final announcement in 1st post)


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
July 22nd, 2011, 07:18 AM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 7,706
In light of all the troll drama several members feel that the requirements we originally voted on are not strict enough, myself included. As of now all that is needed to gain access is being a member of this DDC for 60 days and 100 posts. This is taken from the other private forum thread:
Quote:from SmilesAreContagious
After all of the troll activity that was discovered...would peoples minds change as to the requirements of a private forum. I was very naive when voting, but since this troll issue lately I would change my vote to something higher than 60 days and 100 posts. Even if it ment that I wouldnt have access to the private forum right away.
Originally Posted by SmilesAreContagious [IMG]/justmommies/vb/images/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG]
After all of the troll activity that was discovered...would peoples minds change as to the requirements of a private forum. I was very naive when voting, but since this troll issue lately I would change my vote to something higher than 60 days and 100 posts. Even if it ment that I wouldnt have access to the private forum right away.

And my response:
This brings up a great point. In light of the troll activity 100 posts is not a lot. That's only 10 posts for 10 days! I know everyone's tired of voting but this is something to think about. Do we really want so few posts to begranted access? The purpose of a private forum is that the requirements are a little strict so the active members feel comfortable posting private stuff. Jaiyannah, even though was not here 2 months would have had enough posts. Just some food for thought....

I think the 60 days is okay, but 100 posts just does not seem like enough. Before we re-vote or anything on the requirements I just wanted to see how everyone felt about having stricter requirements. Please post your ideas for minimum requirements if you feel the current ones are not strict enough. Also a weekly or monthly minimum was discussed last time. How do you feel about that?

FINAL ANNOUNCEMENT: I think we should wait until Marti returns so that she can have a say in all this. I know this will make many of you angry and I apologize. I'm sorry you have to wait, but hopefully a few more days will be okay with everyone. If she's not back by Tuesday I will request it since I will be off that day and will be able to respond to the many pms I will get about the password. Honestly waiting a few days, will make things go smoothly since there will be 2 co-hosts to answer all the pm requests. Marti is doing a wonderful job and she never asked me to put things on hold for her. It is me who does not feel comfortable taking over something she has been working on. I hope we can all show Marti the courtesy and respect by being patient a little bit longer. Thanks!
__________________




Last edited by MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy; July 22nd, 2011 at 08:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
July 22nd, 2011, 07:23 AM
TNTGarner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,275
Personally, better safe than sorry. With the J girl her posts went CRAZY when all that started. I mentioned as a new person that I would not have access for some time but it is what it is. Everyone has the right to feel safe and hope to keep the trolls out. I am all for stricter access. Like I said before, I will get there one day lol. To those that wont have access, the regular ddc stuff works so the support is still there! I have no idea how this stuff normally works so I dont have any useful ideas but I am fine with whatever everyone else decides on.
__________________






Reply With Quote
  #3  
July 22nd, 2011, 07:27 AM
jenny poo27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 5,960
im good with them being needing more posts.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #4  
July 22nd, 2011, 07:27 AM
-3-Hearts's Avatar She's Country.....
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,084
I think it doesnt matter what the requirements are, a troll will still get in. trolls tend to post a lot. they get their count up so the can participate in stuff just like this. but i mean honestly, as long as youre not giving out your personal info (credit card/bank numbers/ cell numbers/ ss numbers) what harm can a troll really do?
__________________





<3


<3
Reply With Quote
  #5  
July 22nd, 2011, 07:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,364
I agree with stricter access. I'm okay with whatever you and Marti decide though.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #6  
July 22nd, 2011, 07:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 10,497
As far as I'm concerned, 60 days and 100 posts is PLENTY.

Post count and membership duration rules will never be able to weed out 100% of the trolls, but putting even stricter guidelines in place WILL punish legitimate, valuable members of our DDC who, for whatever reason, are not able to post as frequently as others.

I do think that an additional qualifier (30 posts in 30 days, whatever) should be in place, though. The password will end up being changed frequently, if our DDC and eventually PR is like most other DDCs/PRs. Having an ongoing posting requirement will be a way to weed out members who have become inactive.

We all need to remember that even in a private forum, everything we say is ON THE INTERNET. It is here forever, and it is vulnerable to anyone who has the inclination to try hard enough to get at it. Trolls, hackers, evil, vindictive MILs, whatever. As a group, we should have simple, responsible rules for entry into the private board, but as individuals we should have simple responsible rules for what we post.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #7  
July 22nd, 2011, 07:33 AM
-3-Hearts's Avatar She's Country.....
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,084
i like the password being changed often
__________________





<3


<3
Reply With Quote
  #8  
July 22nd, 2011, 07:34 AM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 28,941
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Quote:
Originally Posted by karkli View Post
As far as I'm concerned, 60 days and 100 posts is PLENTY.

Post count and membership duration rules will never be able to weed out 100% of the trolls, but putting even stricter guidelines in place WILL punish legitimate, valuable members of our DDC who, for whatever reason, are not able to post as frequently as others.

I do think that an additional qualifier (30 posts in 30 days, whatever) should be in place, though. The password will end up being changed frequently, if our DDC and eventually PR is like most other DDCs/PRs. Having an ongoing posting requirement will be a way to weed out members who have become inactive.


We all need to remember that even in a private forum, everything we say is ON THE INTERNET. It is here forever, and it is vulnerable to anyone who has the inclination to try hard enough to get at it. Trolls, hackers, evil, vindictive MILs, whatever. As a group, we should have simple, responsible rules for entry into the private board, but as individuals we should have simple responsible rules for what we post.
I agree with all of this. I do think bumping the count to 200 AND adding in a minimum post amount for each month(barring some huge life change-move, new baby, family emergency) should be implemented as well.
__________________

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!



Reply With Quote
  #9  
July 22nd, 2011, 07:35 AM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
Join Date: May 2011
Location: US
Posts: 1,397
I can't recall how I voted.
I'd be ok with 60 day members but I think the other requirements could be upped.
10 per week and it has to be maintained?
Is there a way to do that?
Id say to make exceptions for active members that go out of town or have problems and need time off.
Honestly as many rules as we put in, staplers and trolls will get through if dedicated enough.
__________________

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

Reply With Quote
  #10  
July 22nd, 2011, 07:48 AM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX.
Posts: 6,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by karkli View Post
As far as I'm concerned, 60 days and 100 posts is PLENTY.

Post count and membership duration rules will never be able to weed out 100% of the trolls, but putting even stricter guidelines in place WILL punish legitimate, valuable members of our DDC who, for whatever reason, are not able to post as frequently as others.

I do think that an additional qualifier (30 posts in 30 days, whatever) should be in place, though. The password will end up being changed frequently, if our DDC and eventually PR is like most other DDCs/PRs. Having an ongoing posting requirement will be a way to weed out members who have become inactive.

We all need to remember that even in a private forum, everything we say is ON THE INTERNET. It is here forever, and it is vulnerable to anyone who has the inclination to try hard enough to get at it. Trolls, hackers, evil, vindictive MILs, whatever. As a group, we should have simple, responsible rules for entry into the private board, but as individuals we should have simple responsible rules for what we post.
The black bolded is a concern of mine simply because sometimes, I just need a break from JM. Those of us who have been around these boards a while know that there are times that you just need to step away for a while. Whether it's because of fighting or some other issue or because of a number of losses being mentioned, whatever, we need breaks. And I don't want to be forced to meet the requirements again just because I was gone for a couple of weeks. So something should be in place to allow regular members to return with either no minimum or at least a smaller minimum (like being active again for X number of weeks or so many posts).

As far as the red bolded goes, SO TRUE! It is vital that everyone remember that no matter what the requirements are, it's a public board. Anyone can gain access, at any time, with just the tiniest amount of effort on their part. So keep this in mind before posting too many details of your life. Better safe than sorry because you just never know who's watching.
__________________

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
Reply With Quote
  #11  
July 22nd, 2011, 07:48 AM
McBaby's Avatar :)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Brittany~*~ View Post
I think it doesnt matter what the requirements are, a troll will still get in. trolls tend to post a lot. they get their count up so the can participate in stuff just like this. but i mean honestly, as long as youre not giving out your personal info (credit card/bank numbers/ cell numbers/ ss numbers) what harm can a troll really do?
Seriously take a moment and think about how some jerk online can affect you, they can't. You ladies have a lot more you aught to be concentrating on. Yes that Jenaiya girl was crazy but so what? She's gone. This is why I left my Facebook pregnancy group, because everyone got really crazy over this when it is so trivial. Give your heads a shake, this is really stupid.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #12  
July 22nd, 2011, 07:52 AM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX.
Posts: 6,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBaby View Post
Seriously take a moment and think about how some jerk online can affect you, they can't. You ladies have a lot more you aught to be concentrating on. Yes that Jenaiya girl was crazy but so what? She's gone. This is why I left my Facebook pregnancy group, because everyone got really crazy over this when it is so trivial. Give your heads a shake, this is really stupid.
Spend some more time here, then come talk to everyone about this. You'd be surprised at some of the things that have gone on because of people sharing too much personal/private information on these boards. It's not trivial or stupid, as you put it. Things happen, whether you like to believe it or not.
__________________

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
Reply With Quote
  #13  
July 22nd, 2011, 07:55 AM
-Anna-'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleBoobyDutyJen View Post
I agree with all of this. I do think bumping the count to 200 AND adding in a minimum post amount for each month(barring some huge life change-move, new baby, family emergency) should be implemented as well.
I agree!
__________________

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my very special siggy!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
July 22nd, 2011, 07:57 AM
jesridge's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Brittany~*~ View Post
I think it doesnt matter what the requirements are, a troll will still get in. trolls tend to post a lot. they get their count up so the can participate in stuff just like this. but i mean honestly, as long as youre not giving out your personal info (credit card/bank numbers/ cell numbers/ ss numbers) what harm can a troll really do?
I'm with Brittany. Everyone really needs to assume that anything you post on the internet (anywhere!)) will get out to someone you don't want it to, so just be very, very careful with what you put out there, regardless of how secure you think a website/board/etc. is. Be careful with your stuff, gals.
__________________
~Jes~
& Rowan!

Born 12/30/11 and absolutely perfect!

Reply With Quote
  #15  
July 22nd, 2011, 07:58 AM
-Anna-'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBaby View Post
Seriously take a moment and think about how some jerk online can affect you, they can't. You ladies have a lot more you aught to be concentrating on. Yes that Jenaiya girl was crazy but so what? She's gone. This is why I left my Facebook pregnancy group, because everyone got really crazy over this when it is so trivial. Give your heads a shake, this is really stupid.
Wow!! That's all I can say to this!

Posts like this is why I think we need to have more strict rules!! Geesh!
__________________

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my very special siggy!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
July 22nd, 2011, 07:58 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 20,687
Honestly I don't care. In this instance I ant the host to make a decision and get the board requested ASAP. I have never had any board on JM where there was discussion about this unless someone wanted it changed. The hosts got the private forum opened and the restrictions were already in place.
__________________

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
Reply With Quote
  #17  
July 22nd, 2011, 08:00 AM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX.
Posts: 6,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Anna- View Post
Wow!! That's all I can say to this!

Posts like this is why I think we need to have more strict rules!! Geesh!
Exactly!
__________________

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
Reply With Quote
  #18  
July 22nd, 2011, 08:01 AM
-Anna-'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
Honestly I don't care. In this instance I ant the host to make a decision and get the board requested ASAP. I have never had any board on JM where there was discussion about this unless someone wanted it changed. The hosts got the private forum opened and the restrictions were already in place.
It's always been voted on in the rooms I have been in and seen, but I agree that I am fine with the hosts just putting it in place and making the restrictions themselves. They will do what's best for all members in the DDC.
__________________

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my very special siggy!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
July 22nd, 2011, 08:02 AM
mcfly's Avatar Lil' Old Lady In Training
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,068
I think we should stick with the 60 days minimum membership requirement, and also have a minimum of 30 posts a month and 200 posts to start with. (I think this was already discussed in the previous private forum thread with at least a few people agreeing?) I don't think that will unfairly penalize very many current, legit, active members (or at least not for very long). Most of us have been here for over 2 months now, and those who haven't aren't very far behind.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #20  
July 22nd, 2011, 08:04 AM
-3-Hearts's Avatar She's Country.....
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSouthGirl View Post
Spend some more time here, then come talk to everyone about this. You'd be surprised at some of the things that have gone on because of people sharing too much personal/private information on these boards. It's not trivial or stupid, as you put it. Things happen, whether you like to believe it or not.
I actually remember someone losing their job over something that was posted on here :/

i think you always have to assume that anything you say online will bite you in the ***
__________________





<3


<3
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:23 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0