Questions for cloth diaperers

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2011, 02:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I want to have a few cloth diapers on hand to try out during the post-meconium, pre-solids days.

I do not want to spend a lot of money on them!

Thanks to Brittany, I see that Cotton Babies has small BumGenius on clearance for $10. I know that's a good price for this brand, but what about other brands?

Help me out...

What's the cheapest you have bought new, name brand cloth diapers for?

Have you tried any off- brand cloth diapers or homemade or Etsy diapers? If so, what did you think and how much did you pay?

Do you find the size estimates to be pretty accurate for cloth? The small BG say "8-16 lbs.", which should be perfect for the first few months of baby's life (my girls were 8 lbs. 9 oz. and 8 lbs. 10 oz. at birth) if it's accurate.

Thanks in advance

July 23rd, 2011, 07:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Bumping. I hope some cloth diaperers will see this and respond.

Although, I was doing more looking into it last night, and now I'm leaning away from doing part-time cloth. My interest in it was because I thought it would be cost-effective, but now I'm thinking that unless you do full-time cloth, it's really not cost effective at all.

But I'd still love answers to the above questions! Also, I am somewhat handy with a sewing machine, so if I could figure out how to make diapers myself, then I could significatnly reduce the expense of cloth and then, maybe, it would be financially beneficial to do part-time cloth.

So much to think about...

July 23rd, 2011, 07:37 AM
-3-Hearts's Avatar She's Country.....
i cant BELIEVE i didnt see this!!!!! omg....
anyways lol
i have mostly bumgenius 3.0's now because of the sales cotton babies has had. they started clearancing out the 3.0's i wanna say...... 6-8mths ago? someone else may know a better time frame. $10 is an awesome price on these and many people adore them!

the cheapest name brand diapers i have ever bought were from a consignment sale. using used diapers is very cost effective, but so is reselling your diapers that you bought brand new. anyone is going to tell you that the most cost effective way to go is prefolds and covers. theyre also best in the nb stage because they go through so many diapers in a day, and take the least amount of time to wash and dry.

i actually used to make diapers, including waterproof ones, and its very easy to do proviede you know youre way around a sewing machine lol. you only need very basic sewing knowledge to do it! send me a pm, and i can get you a nice pattern i would say that some are just as good as the name brand diapers, but you'll have to try a few for yourself to see what is the best fit for your baby.

oh and i never had any leaking issues with my waterproof diapers
July 23rd, 2011, 07:38 AM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The main ones I have are FuzziBunz One Size, so they adjust as she grows. They say 7-35lbs, but they were a little big on her up to 10lbs. They will last until she's potty trained. They are a little more expensive but you don't have to buy any more since they grow with her. The elastic that you have to adjust on mine are kind of a pain, but you rarely have to adjust the elastic which is good. I wish I would have tried several different brands instead of just buying a ton of one brand. I did get mine for a good deal off Ebay though so I would look there just to browse. I recently got some medium BGs at cottonbabies.com for $6 a piece. You can always try googling online stores and looking at their clearances to get the best deals. Cloth diapering is overwhelming at first but it is so worth it and you save so much money!

July 23rd, 2011, 07:43 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used Kissaluvs as my newborn diaper. I them! They are so soft and cozy, and they just look precious on a newborn butt! I started from the get go! Meconium and all. It seriously washes out so easy, no stains! I had more stains with actual breastfed poo later on.

Honestly, if you have the slightest inclination to do cloth I say go full force. If the thought of washing yourself doesn't bother you why not go full time? Because it is very cost effective!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
July 23rd, 2011, 07:51 AM
TNTGarner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
so as far as prefolds and covers go, do any of you use wool covers? And those would not be waterproof, right... so leakage issues? What are some waterproof covers that you would recommend?

google says they are waterproof... or repellent. ahh. I have so much to learn lol

July 23rd, 2011, 07:54 AM
LOL!! yeah wool is waterproof, but EXPENSIVE!!! i like thirsties covers
July 23rd, 2011, 07:57 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTGarner View Post
so as far as prefolds and covers go, do any of you use wool covers? And those would not be waterproof, right... so leakage issues? What are some waterproof covers that you would recommend?

google says they are waterproof... or repellent. ahh. I have so much to learn lol
Wool is waterproof. It's a really good option because it breathes while keeping in moisture. Also, another choice is fleece covers. These are a little easier, less maintenance than wool, but same results.

I have one pair of wool longies that I really like, plus they are so cute. I bought them off of Etsy. I don't use prefolds, too much fuss for me, but people that use them love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Brittany~*~ View Post
LOL!! yeah wool is waterproof, but EXPENSIVE!!! i like thirsties covers
They don't have to be expensive. You can get them off of Etsy. People just recycle wool sweaters and stuff and sew them into covers. If you buy hand knitted covers then yes they are expensive! I think the wool longies I bought were $20 maybe? I saw cheaper and more $. Heck you can make them yourself by breaking down and resewing sweaters!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
July 23rd, 2011, 08:01 AM
Ok, here is what my issues are lol. And you can ignore me if you want... im trying to read about it myself i promise. Its overwhelming though if you dont know the lingo lol. I will have 3 kids and all 3 possibly in diapers. For sure, the younger 2. So if I cloth it makes sense to do an all or nothing for economical reasons. I guess I should have started out earlier There are waaaayyyy too many options for a person like me lol. Ok, I will stop thread jacking. Yall are really awesome for taking the time to help us out all the time. I know I really appreciate it!!

^^ If that comes across rude I did not mean that. I just re read what I wrote. I mean, i know yall are busy and I have a bajillion questions lol

July 23rd, 2011, 08:04 AM
i know it can be overwhelming, i didnt start dd till she was almost a year old! and you do spend quite a bit up front, but it pays off sooooo much in the long run! plus, you can get a high return when you sell the ones baby has outgrown, the ones you just didnt like, or that you just wanna get rid of. trust me, someone will buy it!

the cloth diaper board helped me sooooo much!
July 23rd, 2011, 08:08 AM
hah! Who knew that existed. See, I need lots of help LOL

July 23rd, 2011, 12:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Wouldn't it be insanely expensive to start cloth diapering all three at the same time? I'm thinking you'd have to have three times as many diapers as a mom who is just starting out with her first. One of the biggest cost-saving benefits to cloth is that you can re-use them for future kids, but you'd be starting right at the get-go having to get enough for three kids. OUCH.

My logic may be off here, though. Maybe you won't really need that many more than usual at first? I have no idea.

Thanks for the input, everyone! I think I am going to try to make a couple of my own over the next few months and see how that goes, because if I am buying them all new, I don't see how it can possibly be cost effective to cloth diaper part-time. I will also be checking out the local kids' consignment to see if they sell cloth dipes.

July 23rd, 2011, 12:39 PM
I think the best way to go if youre wanting to go cheap or if youre on a tight budget (like myself lol) is to buy used. I just got 3 guc thirsties from diaperswappers for $18

seriously though, Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com is one of the best places to buy used, also fluff swappers on facebook
July 23rd, 2011, 12:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks, Brittany! I will check out Diaperswappers, for sure.

For me, it's a matter of - Will I use the cloth diapers enough to make them more cost effective, diaper change to diaper change, than disposables?

I am a couponer and a deal-hunter, so I generally don't pay more than $0.15/diaper even for the larger sizes. I'm trying to determine whether I will use the cloth enough that it will work out to be that much or less per diaper change over time, you know?

I am sure I am over-thinking this. But I am a bored pregnant woman, and over-thinking baby stuff is actually kinda fun.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search