Anyone else RH negative?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2011, 05:55 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had my initial blood draws done on Friday and my midwife emailed me today that I'm RH negative . She sent me some literature on treatments that are available, etc. and it doesn't seem like it's all that big a deal. just a shot at 28 weeks and a shot after birth. I'm still worried now about being in a car accident or some weird scenario that would cause mine and baby's blood to mix. Anyone else have this condition?

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

Last edited by MissusF; July 22nd, 2011 at 05:57 PM.
July 22nd, 2011, 05:59 PM
jenny poo27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ME i am...and you only have to get the shot after birth if you baby is RH + and if you know the father is negative then they dont give you any shots at all

July 22nd, 2011, 06:16 PM
corilyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am but if something like you said happens you get the shot and it should be fine. I spotted early this pregnancy and got the shot right away.

July 22nd, 2011, 07:25 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the replies! DH said his blood type is O+, so there is a good chance that baby could be RH positive. The info I was sent said that I will be offered a 50mg "mini Rhogam" shot at 28 weeks. Supposedly this shot tricks your body into thinking that it's already been sensitized to RH+ blood, therefore it won't produce antibodies if blood mixing does happen. They also give a larger dose of Rhogam 72 hours after birth if baby is RH positive. I guess not too big a deal!

I was a bit scared when I first found out because I had heard of women having problems in subsequent pregnancies because of RH negative blood. It seems like that's unlikely to be the case as long as you undergo treatment. I feel better now

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

July 22nd, 2011, 08:14 PM
SmilesAreContagious's Avatar Rheanna Mommy-2-b
I am RH- also, but SO and I are both O-. So the baby is RH-. I was told by a fertility doctor that I worked for, that no matter what the fathers blood type is, they will give you the Rhogam shot 72 hours after birth. The reason for this is because they cannot guarantee that the father is the bio-father, and they have to cover their ***es. You dont have anything to worry about, unless you start spotting (which is what the other ladies have already said)
July 23rd, 2011, 12:47 AM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I'm RH negative too. Had the shot at 28 wks with Josiah, and after birth. It totally didn't click with me that I would need a Rhogam shot when I had the m/c for some reason, so just an FYI that if you ever have ANY spotting or go through a m/c, you will need the shots too. My OB gave me a little card I had to carry at all times after my 28 wk Rhogam shot that said when I had received it and stated that I was to receive another in any kind of emergency situation. I also programmed the info into the emergency info section of my cell phone when I was pregnant, since I had heard that it is becoming more common for people and rescue workers to look for emergency info on cell phones in an accident. Oh, and I have heard that if you ask the nurse to warm the medication to room temperature, that it hurts way less when they administer the shot. My last one was ice cold, and it hurt like the dickens!! I was seriously hobbling out of the office! (Yeah, they do it in your tush).

July 23rd, 2011, 08:15 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doremi View Post
I'm RH negative too. Had the shot at 28 wks with Josiah, and after birth. It totally didn't click with me that I would need a Rhogam shot when I had the m/c for some reason, so just an FYI that if you ever have ANY spotting or go through a m/c, you will need the shots too. My OB gave me a little card I had to carry at all times after my 28 wk Rhogam shot that said when I had received it and stated that I was to receive another in any kind of emergency situation.
All of this. I am RH- and DH is + so I get the shot at 28 weeks and post birth. Also if there is any bleeding you must have the shot within 48 hours.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
July 23rd, 2011, 08:58 AM
AnnaandRyansMommy's Avatar Sarah
I'm RH negative and had the shots. And like doremi said.. be prepared, it's in your tush! I had no idea, and went to the lab to get my shot. They took me to a back room with a little cot and told me to lay on my side.. I was very niave and thought, aww how sweet, they must think because I'm pregnant I'm going to pass out. HAHA, nope, all of a sudden there was an alcohol wipe and BAM shot in the butt. Totally wasn't expecting that when I went in! I don't remember mine hurting anymore than any other shot I got, I wonder if the nurse did warm it up first.

July 23rd, 2011, 12:30 PM
321abc
My mother in law had to get te shots with all three of her pregnancies and she had 3 healthy BIG babies I don't think it's something to stress over too much. Your dr. Will take care of you
July 23rd, 2011, 12:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am RH-. I am AB- and Dh is O+. I got my first shot.. but if I remember right, DS was tested at birth and was O- so I don't think they gave me that second shot. Again I think that is what I remember, I was out of it. Pretty sure I have to get shot again this time around. Have not even talked to dr about it to be honest. He did make point at last visit about my RH-, so I assume so.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search