Yikes! I told my parents... (update post 1)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2011, 09:23 AM
mcfly's Avatar Lil' Old Lady In Training
And I don't think they've very happy. My dad is out of town right now, so he emailed me back:

"Yikes! I just spent two weeks babysitting [his twin infant nieces]. It sure seems like the option you pick in lieu of having a life. In my case it was in lieu of having a holiday. Thanks for letting us know."

Ack! That doesn't sound... positive. Still, I wasn't expecting anything better. I still haven't heard anything from my mom, and I'm sure she's gotten her card by now.

Update: My stepdad also sent me an email response just now, and it's a bit more positive. Maybe? Urgh.

"Hi Ann,
Don't ever dread sharing your life with us, we both love you (even the step-pappy). This is an event in your long life, and we are supportive of you. Taking things slowly and listen to your inner voice (the good one that is).

Take care of the flu - ‪Benny Hill - Egyptian Flu‬‏ - YouTube

-S"

Last edited by mcfly; July 23rd, 2011 at 10:48 AM.
July 23rd, 2011, 09:26 AM
-Anna-'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hum...I don't really know how to take his response.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my very special siggy!
July 23rd, 2011, 09:27 AM
MamaRed's Avatar Veteran
Goodness ... I'm not sure how to interpret that response at all. I'm sorry you didn't get a happier reaction, but hopefully they'll come around. KUP on what you're Mom says and hang in there! Your baby is lucky to have you!!!
July 23rd, 2011, 09:32 AM
AnnaandRyansMommy's Avatar Sarah
I'm sorry your dad wasn't more positive. Your life is going to change, but personally, I think it's a change for the better. I hope your mom is a bit more positive, but even if she's not, I'm sure once things progress and they get to meet your beautiful little baby they won't be able to help but be happy. Since you said you didn't expect much else how are you taking his response?

July 23rd, 2011, 09:32 AM
KnJ'sMomma727's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aww.. It seems like he's dissapointed but not ready to disown you or anything. My parents were the same way when I told them about my pregnancy with DD. They were dissapointed and let me know but still supportive. Let us know how it continues to go.

July 23rd, 2011, 09:33 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Honestly, dad's responses are just weird! DH are married, he has a good job, we have a big enough house... and both our dads gave us weird responses to telling them we were pregnant again. My dad started telling DH about his vesectomy and DH's dad said he isn't remodeling the house again (we are renting from him and he just completed a remodel of the garage into a finished basement). Our moms were both excited and giddy. Men are just weird... I hope he warms up to the idea!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
July 23rd, 2011, 09:49 AM
Well, it's not too far off of what I was expecting, I guess. Both of my cousins (about the same age as me) are expecting right now and my dad made some pretty nasty remarks about what a stupid mistake they're making (not to their faces, but to the rest of us) so it's pretty clear that he's not into the idea of people having kids in general. So it's a little comforting that it's not just me, but it sucks that he's totally not having a change of heart just because it's me. Y'know?

July 23rd, 2011, 09:55 AM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry hun Hope your parents will give you the suppoert you need once the baby's here.

July 23rd, 2011, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbityBoo View Post
Honestly, dad's responses are just weird! DH are married, he has a good job, we have a big enough house... and both our dads gave us weird responses to telling them we were pregnant again. My dad started telling DH about his vesectomy and DH's dad said he isn't remodeling the house again (we are renting from him and he just completed a remodel of the garage into a finished basement). Our moms were both excited and giddy. Men are just weird... I hope he warms up to the idea!
DF's dad said, "ya think? Saw that one coming" ... Men. lol.

July 23rd, 2011, 09:57 AM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, I don't know what to say there. I wish that he'd had a more positive reaction for you. I sure hope that your mom is more positive about your pregnancy. I do hope that now that you've told them that you can start to really enjoy your pregnancy.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
July 23rd, 2011, 10:02 AM
Well it's definitely a relief to have told them. Now I can start telling other people (who will hopefully be more excited for me) and I can tell my work. Still though, I'm a bit hurt.

July 23rd, 2011, 11:00 AM
-3-Hearts's Avatar She's Country.....
I think it's just hard for parents when they're young children get pregnant, regardless of whether theyre married, living on their own, etc. we all want the best for our kids, and a lot of parents know what its like to have a baby young and know the sacrifices that have to be made. I had Justin when I was 20, and I missed out on a lot. I was preparing for college and pretty much the rest of my life. I wouldn't want my kids having kids before the age of 25, but I know things happen. I want them to go to school and start a career and think about buying a home before they have babies. I don't want them to go through what I've been through.

With that being said, don't stress it too much. They will come around

<3

<3
July 23rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
well your step dad's response is a lot nicer! =)

July 23rd, 2011, 11:23 AM
AnnaandRyansMommy's Avatar Sarah
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Brittany~*~ View Post
I think it's just hard for parents when they're young children get pregnant, regardless of whether theyre married, living on their own, etc. we all want the best for our kids, and a lot of parents know what its like to have a baby young and know the sacrifices that have to be made. I had Justin when I was 20, and I missed out on a lot. I was preparing for college and pretty much the rest of my life. I wouldn't want my kids having kids before the age of 25, but I know things happen. I want them to go to school and start a career and think about buying a home before they have babies. I don't want them to go through what I've been through.

With that being said, don't stress it too much. They will come around

I agree with Brittany. I work with a woman who just became a Grammy about 9 months ago. When she found out her daughter was pregnant she was not happy. I think she was mainly just very scared for her daughter because she was a bit younger (I think about 21/22). I don't think the woman I work with completely came around until her granddaughter was born. I think she's still nervous for her daughter because financially things are really difficult, but I don't think you can go 48 hours without hearing about her grandbaby and how AMAZING it is to be a Grammy. Maybe your dad is just scared for how difficult it is to be as a new parent and it came out a bit awkward. Keep us posted on how things go with your parents. I hope you get a lot more support from the other people you get to tell!

July 23rd, 2011, 11:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry your parents aren't more accepting of your choices. It sounds like the relationships there are complicated. I feel for you.

Your step-dad sounds very supportive, though, even if he might not explicitly approve of your being pregnant. I think his e-mail sounds very nice.

I hope all of your parents come around eventually.

July 23rd, 2011, 11:49 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
I agree men are just odd when it comes to this...sorry hun
July 23rd, 2011, 12:43 PM
-Anna-'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That sounds good!!

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my very special siggy!
July 23rd, 2011, 01:02 PM
sarahmomma's Avatar Momma to 4
I am sorry your Dad wasnt more positive with his response. I know it can be tough. My Dad did not speak to me until I was about 8 months along with my first. I hope your Mom can be as supportive as your step-dad.
July 23rd, 2011, 01:50 PM
corilyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry it didn't go that well. They might now be to happy yet but when they meet that little baby it will be hard not to be happy.

July 23rd, 2011, 04:48 PM
~*~Tracy~*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
((hugs)) Sorry it didn't go as well as you'd hoped! Also try to remember that sometimes in the written word (text/emails) things can easily be taken in different ways. Maybe he was sort of joking? Dads don't ever want to admit their daughters are having sex, right? maybe this makes it hard for him to continue living in denial... I will also say that sometimes I think people would be better to think about their replies before saying anything .

Tracy, Mom to 4 wonderful boys!!

Tags
not awesome

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search