Co-sleeper Opinions

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2011, 07:10 PM
SmilesAreContagious's Avatar Rheanna Mommy-2-b

I am going to share a room with the baby for the first year. I think it will be easier (although a little crouded). I was planning on haveing a bassinet in the beginning to make feeding at night easier.
I just wanted to ask the current moms what their thoughts are on this co-sleeper?
Is it a good idea? Waste of money?
July 23rd, 2011, 07:16 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
We would have one of these if we had the space in our bedroom.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
July 23rd, 2011, 07:17 PM
-Anna-'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It looks good to me. That is basically what I do with the bassinet. Our bed is extremely high and the top of the bassinet is even with the bed. I leave it right next to the bed and lock the wheels. I also put together enough bottles for the night and fill them full of the right amount of water and bring the formula can to the bedroom with us at night. I keep it all on the nightstand. At the end of the bed between DH and I, I keep diapers and wipes.

Sounds extremely lazy, but I don't have to get out of bed at night to take care of the baby. I prepare everything and take it to the bedroom so that I have everything I need at arms reach at night.

I am able to feed and change the baby, and go right back to sleep.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my very special siggy!
July 23rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
If I'd had the room in our bedroom the first time around, I would have gotten the full sized Arms Reach co-sleeper. DEFINITELY would have found it worthwhile, especially after a c/s. We had a traditional bassinet instead that was even with the height of our bed. But, in the end Josiah ended up sleeping in our bed because he didn't really like his bassinet. I think we would have done much better with the Arms Reach, because it has a higher weight limit than a traditional bassinet, and is a little bigger than a traditional bassinet. So in answer to your question, YES I would get that one!!

July 23rd, 2011, 07:29 PM
Thank you ladies! I love this idea, I just wanted to know if it was ideal or a waste. I know they have height adjusters so the baby can be level with the bed, because i too have a tall bed. There is so much baby stuff out there, its overwhelming to say the least.

Anna, that does not sound lazy at all, its actually smart. That is exactly what I plan on doing.

Last edited by SmilesAreContagious; July 23rd, 2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: adding text
July 23rd, 2011, 08:03 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Wanted to add that since we don't have that much room we have this...

The First Years Close and Secure Baby Co Sleeper - Walmart.com

(in the blue) from when Elizabeth was a baby. I loved it and plan on using it again with this baby.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
July 23rd, 2011, 08:24 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Absolutely worth it! If we had the money and I didn't already have the mini-cosleeper this is what I would buy. We love our' but it doesn't convert to a play yard like the full-size Arm's Reach does. It would be super useful to have the full size because you can use it for a lot longer. When we bought the mini one we didn't have the room for the full size.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
July 24th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
They have a mini co sleeper. Idk which size this one is.
I had one w dd5.
She refused to sleep in anything less than a cradle swing at night and I didn't dare run out of battery's. So for me the cosleeper was a waste.
However I passed it to my sister in law who used it with both of her girls and loved it.

This go round I plan to use the travel baby bed in my room.
It looks like a crib but is smaller and well let's just hope this one isn't a cradle swing addict to. Lol

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

July 24th, 2011, 06:00 AM
That is exactly the sort of thing my 1 year old son is in now and has been since he outgrew his bassinet (he still sleeps in my room)
July 24th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Im so glad for all the positivie reviews. I know that babies grow so fast that it is almost more expensive to buy the smaller versions and then keep moving up as the grow. I think Id rather spend the extra in the beginning. Im pretty sure we will have the room for it.
July 24th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Psalm139's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got the full size arms reach co-sleeper with Luke. It worked great for when he was an infant. At least with that one it works so that the baby is about a mattress length below you--that way the mattress actually serves as the fourth side, if you will, of their bed. Their is also an attachment that runs under you mattress and keeps the co-sleeper tight to the bed, so there is no chance of the baby falling between bed and the co-sleeper. I liked having Luke so close at night for the first few months, esp because we were breastfeeding. It also gives great peace of mind since they aren't actually in your bed and you (or dh--which was my bigger worry) won't roll over on the baby or smother with covers etc. The only thing is, once baby is big enough to sit up you can't use the co-sleeper mode. Luke was long out of our room by that point, so it wasn't a problem, but just an fyi for you. Once you are done with the co-sleeper function it serves as a pack and play. My only gripe is that it is much harder to close than my other pack and play. I would definitely encourage anyone to get this over a bassinet. We stupidly bought something that was more about aesthetics--a beautiful wooden cradle--but it almost gave me a heartattack the first week I brought baby home so I sold it and bought this instead.
Psalm 139:13-14 "For you [God] created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made..."

July 24th, 2011, 12:07 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The other good thing about this vs. a regular bassinet is they go to a higher weight limit.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
July 24th, 2011, 04:15 PM
hotpinktulips's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used one when DD was first born and I HATED it! We put it up against the night stand and it was just too far down the side of my bed. (I couldn't get rid of the night stand because it had my C-pap on it) I had a normal vaginal birth and was very sore down there, so when I had to scoot down the bed to get out of bed it made it very hard on me.

We soon switched her to the rocking cradle my grandpa made for her and that was awesome! I put it next to my side of the bed and was able to just reach my arm out to rock her a little when she was fussing for no reason.

~Special thanks to *Kiliki* for my adorable siggy~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search