Working moms.. What are you plans?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So I keep thinking of this over and over..
I'm fustrated.. and kinda scared to say the least.

I work full time now.. My works full time x 2 jobs!!! And we bairly get by. I need to work to help pay bills..I did not plan on having another child.. really did not. I mean for pete's sake, our first child we tried for YEARS! had to do IVF.. and even this time, I had not had a period since July or so of last year!
What do all you working moms plan on doing after baby comes?
Mat leave?
But how long?
Will you be able to afford daycare for 2?

July 25th, 2011, 09:27 PM
~*~Tracy~*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is baby 4 for me but my oldest two are in school during the day so daycare for them isn't a big deal. Right now I'm working part time, it's just Mon-Fri from 11:30-2:30...my MIL babysits for free. Once September hits I'll be looking for an extra PT job at Walmart to up my earnings. I will go on mat leave when necessary and once mat leave is up I may take in a few kids to babysit and do the dayhome thing.

Tracy, Mom to 4 wonderful boys!!
July 25th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
see I have NO free babysitting options. I have no family here..
daycare here is $40 a day(I say I work full time, I feel I do 32 hours+ a week is full time as I am a chef on my feet all day everyday and don't get much of a break ever)
We pay $600 a month in daycare. It's hard even now.. I can't image with two.. I would be working for free pretty much if I went back to work, so not going to happen. I just have NO clue what I will be doing

July 25th, 2011, 09:32 PM
-Anna-'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have disability, so that will help pay for my maternity leave. I plan on taking 6 weeks. The new baby will go to the teacher daycare at our school like Bella. It is dirt cheap and the BEST place a child can go. We literally just pay the costs of the two employees that word down there. Bella's daycare is $220 and it's half priced for baby #2 ($110) so we will only be paying $330 a month total for both babies. We paid over $500 for just Bella at her old daycare and there was 13 kids in her room alone. There will only be 6 babies total in the whole daycare after the new baby comes.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my very special siggy!
July 25th, 2011, 09:33 PM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm taking 3 months of maternity leave. Also, my mom is retiring in TWO DAYS! She is retiring now so that she can get a couple of minor surgeries out of the way (gall bladder, etc.) so that she is fully healed when the baby comes!

She will be staying with the baby when I return to work.

July 25th, 2011, 09:36 PM
~*~Tracy~*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I totally understand.....I lived in North Van until my second was 1 and we moved to Alberta because it was actually affordable to live here. Didn't work out well for me and my now ex but I had no idea how we would have coped there once my mat leave for my second was up . I would never trust my MIL to do more than she does now (3 days a week, 3 hrs a day) because she is getting older. I have a friend who I pay to watch D on the other 2 days but I pay her very little and she does it mostly to help me out. Daycare is so cheap here in comparison to the lower mainland

Tracy, Mom to 4 wonderful boys!!
July 25th, 2011, 09:56 PM
MamaSugarplump's Avatar Jordan
Our PLAN is for me to take maternity leave 6-8 weeks. DF gets paid paternity leave, but I don't know how much so I'm not sure if we will use that for him to help me the 1st 6-8 weeks or if we'll get him to take it after mine is over.

My MIL has already made it very clear that she wants to keep the baby during the day and my step-grandma might keep it 1 day a week if I can get her to. I sure hope we don't ever have to think about day care! My sis has to do day care and I KNOW its a lot.
July 26th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Chellie's Avatar Veteran
I'm self employed/part time.

I'm going to start winding down even the part time pretty soon, I think, because my back is starting to really hurt. I had hoped to continue doing the charity cakes for a lot longer, but I'm not sure if I can swing even that. No matter what position I try to decorate in, being hunched over a cake for hours is turning into torture.

After baby I'll be a SAHM. We're extremely frugal and can make it on DF's salary, but we'll be moving into a new place with DF's best friend (and baby's godfather) to lessen the financial load on all of us. I've done the math and daycare would be a wash at best for us if I were to dedicate the necessary time to my business or find an outside job.

Once baby is a little older (1yr+), I'd like to explore re-starting the cakery on a limited basis. We'll see how the logistics work on that when the time comes.

July 26th, 2011, 05:32 AM
corilyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not working because we thought moving to Texas was going to be more money but it's not so we are moving back to Florida so I can get a job at night, hubby works during the day. We can't afford daycare for one let alone 2. I'm going to have family babysit an hour between when I have to leave for work and the hubby gets home.

We are having money problems big time b/c hubby lost his job in sept and nothing has been good enough. We are going to down size once we get to Florida for a few yrs.

Have you thought about selling your cakes from home for a little extra income? I'm not sure how it works

July 26th, 2011, 05:38 AM
~SarahDid~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~SarahDid~
I work full time and then some lol. I'm the only income in our family with the exception of SO babysitting and our roommate who is legally blind and gets disability. I dropped my short term disability because it was pretty expensive and we didn't plan to have another baby so soon. Luckily I have saved my vacation days plus my sick days and they total up to just under 6 weeks. SO will stay home with DS and the new baby as well. When he gets a job, my grandma will be babysitting as she just retired this year.

July 26th, 2011, 05:44 AM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm a nurse and work FT which is 3 12 hour shifts a weeks. So I won't need the babes to be in daycare anything but part time hopefully. We are still debating on childcare. We have a babysitter for DD who is only $40 a day but I have no idea how she could transport her daughter whose in a booster plus two carseats in her tiny Honda Accord. And she drives me a bit crazy as well I'm going to check out a couple daycares and then we will talk with our current babysitter and she what she offers. She really wants to watch the new baby. As for mat leave, I'm hoping to take 12 weeks but I have to have 1,250 hours in before the baby comes to get that otherwise it will be 6 weeks. I start FT at my job Aug. 28th (was doing PT and prn at another job) so I think I will have enough hours.

July 26th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I work full time and I know it's going to be tough financially until my ds starts 1st grade in a couple of years. Daycare here is $1400/month and if my ds was young enough to stay in daycare i would have gotten a "deal" for $2400/month for both. But of course my ds will be 4 1/2 and so he needs to go to a regular preschool with before care and after care so we are looking at $3000/month if i send the baby to the same daycare ds went to. I dont have any family willing to watch them part time to cut down on expenses and of course i live in an area where things are super pricey. A nanny would actually be cheaper but i can't have my ds not go to preschool at this age. We are looking at less expensive daycares but they all close at 6pm and at least 2 days a week we need a place open until 6:15pm. It's been so frustrating that i had such an anxiety attack yesterday about what we will do when baby comes.

My dh's salary covers the expense but not by a huge margin. But if he takes a couple years off it could hurt his future earning potential. My salary could support us if we had no daycare fees but since i work as an account director, if my client base drops so does my income, so it is too risky for either of us to stop working for a while. I'm hoping to work from home full time so i can cut down at least on the before care costs but i haven't broached the topic yet with my boss.

July 26th, 2011, 06:07 AM
jesridge's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My plan is to go on "maternity leave," quit my current position with my company, and get hired on to do some super-duper part time work with them after I'm ready to return. My mom (who stays at home and cares for my brother's kids a few times a week) will be watching baby while I'm doing work here and there. I'm just wanting to stay "employed," even though it won't be doing much. Money-wise, we should be just fine, if we stop making silly purchases.

Born 12/30/11 and absolutely perfect!

July 26th, 2011, 06:27 AM
jenny poo27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i will take a year off with mat leave and then my kids will return to daycare/out of schoolcare.
I am worried about the yr off how will i afford it but I will make it work somehow

July 26th, 2011, 06:27 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I will have either 6 or 8 weeks off depending on if I get my VBAC or have a repeat c-section.

After that I will be back to work full time M-F/9-5. Marko does NOT want the new baby in daycare until he/she can talk so family will probably step in.

Mondays my mom comes over to watch Elizabeth so she will just watch the baby too.
Tuesday is daycare day but I hope to work from home a couple days a week for a while so I would keep the baby.
Wednesday my aunt picks up Elizabeth so she would pick up the baby too.
Thursday would be like Tuesday.
Friday my FIL picks up Elizabeth. IF my MIL changes her work schedule to have Fridays off then the baby will go with them if not I am not sure what we will do. Maybe my aunt will take the baby this day too.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
July 26th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
I'm scared, too. We live in a very expensive county and we are barely making it now, even living so frugally. I'm a teacher and would love to quit and just do tutoring to earn my share, but I carry the health insurance for the whole family, and we can't do without that. I cry every time I think about having to leave my baby with somebody else. Never mind the cost, which we can't afford. I can only take 6 weeks off, and 4 of those weeks will only be half-pay. The two weeks of full pay will use ALL my sick leave, so I can't take any days off if the baby gets sick. There's a lady at school who runs the after-care program. Her family needs extra money, so I am going to ask her if she'd take care of my baby for me; I think she would be less expensive than other options.

I don't know. This is so hard. We meant to get pregnant, but we also knew it was going to be a difficult struggle. Now that it's close, I am panicking a bit.
July 26th, 2011, 07:01 AM
glitterific's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am taking 12 weeks. I got a spot at my choice daycare for 1075/month. It is going to be hard. I don't see how we will be able to save more than $100 a month. We are not planning another child for a long time bc we simply couldn't afford it.

I work in IT and make a good living. Most women in the field leave in their 30s for 2 reasons - no support/mentors or having children. I have a mentor that is trying to keep me up to date while I am gone. I have worked too hard to start over and i have no idea what else I would do for work. Part-time status does not exist.
July 26th, 2011, 07:01 AM
HONEYBUNNY61's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm still unsure here. Last time was 9 weeks. I worked from home all but 2 weeks. My 2 weeks were vacation/personal days I had left. This was all so I could continue to be paid.

Part of me really wants to take the 12-week family medical deal. And not get paid. Do nothing but take care of my baby. I need to see how I can work that financially. I need to discuss it with DH. IF he gets his $3000 bonus from a house he's working on now, I will consider that a sign to stay my butt at home.

We shall see!

VBAC, NATURAL BIRTHING, BREASTFEEDING, BABYWEARING, CLOTH DIAPERING MOM!
July 26th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I will be taking the full paid 6 weeks, of course and then I will take the remaining 6 weeks sporadically throughout the year. Also, I work in a rather unfriendly environment so I have considered using maternity leave to look for a new job.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search