We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
Ok my daughter was born with what they used to call " goldenhaar" syndrome,
Basically she has one working ear, and one smaller closed non working ear, she also has minor spinal issues that don't affect her, and an extra urethra between bladder and kidney , some other small issues as well. I recently found out that my 15 yr old son has a minor form of a cleft palate, again something that no doctors even caught until now.
So my concern is, should I be asking for extra testing for this baby?
The reason why I even ask is that I feel like we have been very lucky with our children, and the birth defects they do have are asymptomatic and don't seem to affect their heLth or well being.
I almost feel like I would be exploiting them for an extra us because they really aren't bad problems they were born with .. I am not that worried about this baby, but my DH is pushing for another us and wants me to use the other kids' as a reason to convince my OB.
I am probably being silly, any opinions would be appreciated..
The way our clinic works is that those things would be found at the 20 week anatomy scan. From there, if they are concerning in utero then they are followed through the rest of the pregnancy via ultrasound or whatever else is needed. My son was diagnosed with hydronephrosis at his 20 week scan and we were followed with extra ultrasounds. I would mention it and see what that scan shows and go from there. I am sure every clinic does it differently but atleast that is a starting point.
Unless " goldenhaar" syndrome is a chromosomal defect (I have no idea what it is)... then what Misty said. Either way, discussing it with your doctor and letting them decide what is best sounds like the best bet.
I would get further testing (at this point its too late for the quad screen) because maybe you are lucky you kids now have minor issues, what if something more serious happens with this baby. Especially, since this seems to be a recurring issue.
But I agree with the PP posters that the 20 u/s is probably all they are going to do. I bet they won't sign you up for something right this second, like your DH seems to want. I still think its valid to discuss with your doctor.
We had to disclose any type of birth defects or other issues about us, our children and our immediate family members 9brothers, sisters, parents) at our first appointment. From there that triggered a discussion with the genetic couselor during our first pregnancy because my husband has an eye disease that runs in his family. They determined our children were not at risk, so we didn'tneed further testing. I would definetly mention it to the doc and let them decide.
When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7 Sail Back to Me
They asked me about down syndrome, clef palate, spina bifida and cystic fibrosis history at my NT scan/genetic blood test appt. It's too late for those tests, but it's absolutely something you should mention to your dr.
Thanks all, I did tell my OB about my other children and the issues.
He didn't seem to think it was worth worrying over, that's kindof what I was basing my laid back opinion on, was his reaction. I was just wondering if I should push the issue or not I think.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough to my OB .
I had a clear nuchal scan with neg results
I would like to know if there's anythig wrong of course, I think I am worried about having more to worry about ..
Thanks guys, I will discuss it in more detail with OB