Social Networking

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Desiree McD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I noticed a lot of you ladies mentioning Facebook and wondered if anyone is on Google+ yet? I know it's in its Beta stage right now, but I found I preferred it since I have personal privacy issues and such with Facebook. I thought once I got my blog up and going, I'd rejoin and just make sure Facebook won't have any personal information to work from (they charged my Paypal account without my permission. Totally bogus. Got my money back, but they're ignoring the legal issues and privacy concerns).

And I totally hate Myspace. Just curious what everyone is using. Without Facebook anymore, I feel disconnected from the Social Networking world. I have no where to share all my baby news but here.

Thank you, .:Shortcake:.!!

Facebook
July 26th, 2011, 03:28 PM
mcfly's Avatar Lil' Old Lady In Training
I have +, but I haven't really gotten into it. I do hope it ends up being awesome enough that I can delete my facebook once and for all though! I can't stand facebook and I totally regret ever joining.

July 26th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Desiree McD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I figure they'll add more to it once they unleash it completely and allow people to join freely. I think the Beta is for people to suggest things, and I've had some ideas but I definitely don't want it to become another Facebook. I enjoy that it just seems more private.

Thank you, .:Shortcake:.!!

Facebook
July 26th, 2011, 03:33 PM
mcfly's Avatar Lil' Old Lady In Training
I think it's going to end up being pretty awesome eventually, and I totally agree on the privacy! Google has always been pretty good for privacy and they don't seem inherently evil like facebook does.

July 26th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Victoria
I've not managed to snag an invite to Google+ yet, but I have high hopes for it even without seeing it. Then again, I'm a complete fool for everything Google!!

I use Facebook for now, but really don't post on it much. I find it useful for keeping up to date with people back in England, though.
July 26th, 2011, 04:39 PM
glitterific's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm on Google+ and LOVE the circles.. I'm now friends with all my coworkers b/c I can easily lock it down. I'm looking forward to other features.. I have 2 friends who already left facebook completely for +.
July 26th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Chellie's Avatar Veteran
Guess I'll be the lone dissenter.

Not real impressed with G+.
The privacy in general is no better than FB and *from what I've seen* it's largely FB features wrapped up in different bows.
It's kind of clunky.

My biggest downside is how *much* information is all tied together, though. I use a lot of Google's various services, nothing confidential or anything, all of which have been kept for my eyes only.
To be honest, I'm a little leery of adding a social networking aspect to all that. I'm no stranger to Google; I've been using Gmail since it was pre-beta & have gone on from there, and I've seen how a couple slip-ups open the door to privacy issues. Early "Buzz" comes to mind....

I'm giving it a shot as an observer right now, but I'm not ready to shut down my FB. I feel that there's some separation in using Facebook from my other online activities and I prefer that.

July 26th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So far I'm not a big fan of Google+ but I've been testing it out. I'm actually a huge fan of FAcebook, but i really love the social aspect as well as reconnecting with so many childhood and college friends. I think Google+ has potential, but i can't see everyone leaving facebook for google and most people don't have enough time to be posting on both.

Flowery - if you want an invite just pm me your email address and I'll send one.

July 26th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaBee View Post
Flowery - if you want an invite just pm me your email address and I'll send one.
PM sent. Thank you!!
July 26th, 2011, 05:21 PM
SPinkD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to SPinkD
I am signed up for google +, but not really using it and don't know my way around.

Thank you RaspberryBeret for my gorgeous siggy!

July 26th, 2011, 05:23 PM
mom 2 Caden & Jordynn
I've never heard of Google+ I do love all things Google though, so I'm sure I'll try it out eventually. I am SO over Facebook! Maybe it's the pregnancy. I tend to turn my nose up at EVERYTHING when I'm pregnant, I mean EVERYTHING. I must say though that from reading you guys' posts here, I just may be looking into this Google+ sooner rather than later.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

July 26th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Chellie's Avatar Veteran
Another thing to keep in mind in re: G+

If you get banned from G+, you can also get banned from all Google services - including Gmail, Docs, Youtube, Picasa.... all of it.

Google Plus Deleting Accounts En Masse: No Clear Answers | ZDNet

Four Things Google Plus Could Do To Fix Google Plus | ZDNet

July 26th, 2011, 07:34 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I am not a Google fan in general. The only reason I still have a gmail account is because I have had it FOREVER and it is the only email address anyone knows to reach me at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellie View Post
Guess I'll be the lone dissenter.

Not real impressed with G+.
The privacy in general is no better than FB and *from what I've seen* it's largely FB features wrapped up in different bows.
It's kind of clunky.
I haven't (and probably won't) register an account but a bunch of people at work have it and this is the impression I get too. They tell me how excited they are about x y or z feature and I tell them...Facebook has that....they just never bothered to figure it out. Since it is "Google" everyone goes straight to the edge of orgasm over it.

I have this problem with people and the iPhone too. Sure the iPhone has been around a lot longer then the Windows Phone 7 but that doesn't mean it is better. My dumb arse project manager creams his pants over the iPhone and talks crap on the Windows Phone. He actually said the other day that the iPhone has this awesome NY, NY parking app and "does anyone even use Windows Phones?" I wanted to punch him.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
July 26th, 2011, 07:45 PM
MamaRed's Avatar Veteran
I'm generally a huge fan of all things Google, but I am less than impressed with Google+. I was actually a bit concerned about the privacy aspect of it since it's even more readily searchable by search engines than Facebook is unless you find all the permission settings and lock it down. it also seems pretty clunky to me and does not play well with Apple devices which is a big hurdle for me.

I am on Facebook and use it daily for strictly personal social networking. I'm not "friends" with any of my co-workers and don't have any employment information on my profile to ensure my professional and personal lives stay completely separate IRL and online. So far so good.

If Google makes A LOT of improvements I could be enticed to switch eventually, but it'll be a while I suspect.
July 26th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
ive heard about it but havent looked at it yet
July 27th, 2011, 06:45 AM
jesridge's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like Google+ for the circles and the lack of irritating games and apps. The only problem that I have with it as of now is that not all of my Facebook friends are on it, so I have yet to delete my account.

As far as privacy goes, I can see how many people would have issues with both Google+ and Facebook. I've always handled that the same way-- I just don't put stuff on the internet that I wouldn't want my mom or my boss reading. That makes it so, so much easier for me, personally. But with the way things are tied together (earlier mention of Paypal), it's starting to get much harder to keep track of what information is stored under your accounts, and is easily accessible. They probably put it all together for you for ease of logins, etc., but they should make it a lot easier to remove that information, too.

Born 12/30/11 and absolutely perfect!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search