relative obsessed with certain gender?(vent)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Veteran
Does anyone else have a relative that is completely OBSESSED with the baby being a certain gender?

I haven't found out yet, but a relative of my boyfriend is COMPLETELY 100% obsessed with my baby being a boy. When we go to look at baby clothes, if I pick something up that is remotely girl-y, she jumps and tells me to "put it down, that's not for a boy!" She calls the baby a 'He' allll the time and says that boys are just so much cuter then girls and that it "better" be a boy.

I know it's not something to get upset over, but hearing it every single there's a discussion about the baby is starting to hurt my feelings..the baby will be just as darling if it's a she! (Which everyone else hopes for, but is excited about welcoming a boy, either way)
July 26th, 2011, 07:09 PM
everafter's Avatar Super Mommy
Not family, because no-one knows yet, but at work....

It's so funny....I already have two (wonderful) sons and all my co-workers are hoping it's a girl for me

One of them is really funny.....if anyone just says something like "If it's a boy I have some clothes you can have" she starts yelling "NO !!! NO !!! It's not a boy, IT'S A GIRL !!! Quit saying stuff like that !!! It's a girl not a boy, dang it !!!!!!"

Cracks me up every time !!!!!

July 26th, 2011, 07:18 PM
SmilesAreContagious's Avatar Rheanna Mommy-2-b
Im sorry this has gotten to the point of starting to bug you. Some people are just obsessed. Maybe she has a gut feeling and is being a little too pushy about it. Regardless, the ultrasound will prove either way and hopefully she will eat her words.
July 26th, 2011, 07:20 PM
hotpinktulips's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kinda... My SIL insists this baby can NOT be a boy since my DH and his brother (her husband) have only produced girls at this point.

Anytime I talk about the Gender Tests I've done for fun or someone says what they think I'm having she blows up. Two weekends ago my MIL said "I know it's a boy." and my SIL says laughing, "Well if it is then we'll all be asking for a DNA test!" I don't find her comments funny at all! But I do love how jealous she's acting at just the thought of us having a boy.

~Special thanks to *Kiliki* for my adorable siggy~

July 26th, 2011, 08:14 PM
KnJ'sMomma727's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OMG do we have the same future mom in law.. lol. My future mil is obsessed with it being a boy. She even bought boy stuff. She got her copy of an ultrasound and said Look at my baby booyyy. Everyone got excited thinking we found out the gender. SMH! My ex mil is opposite.. she demands it's a girl thanks to her psychic pot telling her so. lol

July 26th, 2011, 08:56 PM
mom 2 Caden & Jordynn
I don't have this problem now, and I didn't have it with the other two. I already have a boy and a girl, so at this point, I don't think anyone cares either way what the gender of this one is. However my sister did comment that she thinks I need a boy since our family is mostly girls.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

July 26th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
no ones been obsessive, just regular ' i think it will be a ' comments. i can imagine it would get very annoying though!
July 26th, 2011, 09:35 PM
~*~Tracy~*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Um, YES. My MIL has told me on many occasions that she wants a girl this time! Newflash: I couldn't care less what gender YOU want!!

Tracy, Mom to 4 wonderful boys!!
July 26th, 2011, 10:27 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
None of my relatives know I'm pregnant yet but I don't see them caring one way or the other. I can see why you're annoyed though. I would be too if someone was that pushy or felt that they had "gender intuition" about MY baby.

July 26th, 2011, 11:21 PM
SoCalJB's Avatar Veteran
My mom really wants a girl. She claimed she wouldn't be disappointed if we found out it was a boy, but when the tech announced it was a girl at our gender ultrasound, Mom started squealing, clapping and jumping up and down with tears coming from her eyes. My grandma also wanted a girl because she hates boys and thinks they're evil.
July 26th, 2011, 11:37 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
i went through that with dd...my mom was completely obsessed with her being a girl even before we found out and i know she would have been soo angry if she was a boy as if it was our fault LOL i just ignored it.

it was actually very odd considering she goes above and beyond with making sure i know she wanted her son, my brother born before me and how she is so angry and upset she got her girl first.
July 27th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I already have two boys & my brother has one boy with no plans of having more, so everyone is saying I'm going to have a girl. A month ago (before my aunt knew I was pg) she made the statement that one of us (me or my brother) should have had a girl. I was mad, eventhough it was a simple statement. I love my boys & I'm perfectly happy if I have another one. I dislike when people make comments about gender, eventhough most ate not meant to hurt my feelings.

July 27th, 2011, 05:49 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Yes, my FIL! After we had Elizabeth he even went on to give Marko "tips" about sex positions that are supposed to produce boys! Are you kidding me?!

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
July 27th, 2011, 06:12 AM
jesridge's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry that the comments are getting to the point where they are frustrating. Maybe you can start joking around about it and see if you can bug them.

I have been lucky so far about people wanting a certain gender. My parents already have a grandson and a granddaughter, so they're cool with whatever. My DH's parents have three granddaughters, so my MIL had mentioned it being cool to have a grandson, but she didn't push it.

I find it interesting how gender matters so much to people. It reminds me of the days when kings were trying to produce heirs. Good thing DH won't chop my head off if I can't make him a son.

Born 12/30/11 and absolutely perfect!

July 27th, 2011, 06:32 AM
My MIL is the same way. She only thinks my DH can be a good dad to a boy. She has said on multiple occasions that my DH NEEDS a boy. It makes me so mad because I think my DH would be a great dad to a boy or a girl. We find out tomorrow!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search