GD test on Friday...blah

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2011, 08:46 AM
SPinkD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to SPinkD
My doc is doing an early gestational diabetes test on me on Friday. I had it last time, so he is going to test me early to make sure things are on the right path. I barely failed my tests with Bailey and never had an off reading on my monitor, even when I was eating like crap. Anybody else having to take the test early? I already have my yummy orange drink chilling in the fridge...just staring at me pointing and laughing.

ETA: I will have to take it again later in pregnancy if all comes back clear.

Thank you RaspberryBeret for my gorgeous siggy!

July 27th, 2011, 08:50 AM
mom 2 Caden & Jordynn
All I have to say is... that stinks. I hated that test! I barely missed it with DD so I asked if I'd have to take it early just in case- they stayed with 28 weeks. I was fine with that!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

July 27th, 2011, 08:53 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Ugh.

I already had my first one and failed in a major way. Though I have only had one bad number on my monitor since and I don't always follow my diet. The only bad number I had was when I ate a carb filled dinner followed by a sugary dessert.

I hope you pass.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
July 27th, 2011, 08:53 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Blech! I don't have to take it early this time. I did have to take it twice with my daughter because they INSISTED I had undiagnosed GD with my son because he was almost 10 pounds. They didn't believe that some women just grow big babies. THen with my second daughter they wanted to test me twice again and i refused. I really do just grow 'bigger' babies. I put bigger in quotes because two of them were pretty normal sized at 7 lb 3 oz and 8 lb 4 oz. The other two were bigger at 8 lb 15 oz and 9 lb 14 oz.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
July 27th, 2011, 09:03 AM
glitterific's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
so is it always an orange drink?? do you get to pick other flavors?
July 27th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I think maybe last time it was like a lemon-lime. I don't know, it is disgusting whatever flavor.

July 27th, 2011, 09:36 AM
The Natalie's Avatar !!!!!!!!!
You poor thing! You might have to take it twice. That's no fun at all. I hope your numbers are so good that he decides you don't need to take it again later on.

July 27th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ugh! I will have to take it early, too. I had GD with my second. I've been watching my numbers so far, and all is still good.

FYI- there are other flavors. I've done root beer and fruit punch. Orange is the lesser of all evils. The root beer one ruined real root beer for me for a very long time.
July 27th, 2011, 10:08 AM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
Ugh! That is annoying! I just BARELY passed with Eli and I really hope to pass this time! I don't have to do it early though! Fingers crossed that you pass! That drink is GROSS no matter what flavor I had to CHUG in order to get it all down!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]
forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
July 27th, 2011, 10:15 AM
jesridge's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh, I'm not looking forward to this test. Maybe drinking it with a super fun crazy straw would make it easier.

Born 12/30/11 and absolutely perfect!

July 27th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyday3 View Post
The root beer one ruined real root beer for me for a very long time.
yum...root beer sounds pretty good right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesridge View Post
Oh, I'm not looking forward to this test. Maybe drinking it with a super fun crazy straw would make it easier.
that is a thought!

July 27th, 2011, 10:54 AM
~*~Tracy~*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ugh, that sucks I have had it with all my kids but they don't make me take it early....I'd be pissed if I had to take it twice!

Tracy, Mom to 4 wonderful boys!!
July 27th, 2011, 11:16 AM
SmilesAreContagious's Avatar Rheanna Mommy-2-b
I took it alreayd at 12 weeks I think. All I know is I was at the height of my morning sickness and it was torture to have to drink that orange drink. I have to drink it, wait and hour and then do more blood work. The second after the blood was taken I went and got sick. I passed though and Ill have to take it again later.

I dont know about a fun straw, that nasty stuff is like syrup. UGH
July 27th, 2011, 11:30 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterific View Post
so is it always an orange drink?? do you get to pick other flavors?
I had lemon-lime this time and it was WAY better than the orange I had with Elizabeth. It also helps A LOT when it is really cold.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
July 27th, 2011, 11:30 AM
glitterific's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
a fun straw would take forever to get it all down.. now a mcdonald's straw would make it easier!!

Thanks for the warning on the flavors!
July 27th, 2011, 01:01 PM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had GD with DD. I will have to take the test early and we will schedule it at my next appt. which is Aug. 23rd. If I pass this time then I will have to retake it as well. I did have to take insulin, so I'm expecting to fail. Just enjoying all the carbs while I can for now! He told me if I failed the one hour then I would not have to take the 3 hour thank goodness! I almost passed out and was sick as a dog after the 3 hour one last time. GD sucks, especially around the holidays! And Marina weighed 7lbs 8.5oz, by no means the 10 pounder everyone was convinced I would have.

July 27th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina'sMommy View Post
I had GD with DD. I will have to take the test early and we will schedule it at my next appt. which is Aug. 23rd. If I pass this time then I will have to retake it as well. I did have to take insulin, so I'm expecting to fail. Just enjoying all the carbs while I can for now! He told me if I failed the one hour then I would not have to take the 3 hour thank goodness! I almost passed out and was sick as a dog after the 3 hour one last time. GD sucks, especially around the holidays! And Marina weighed 7lbs 8.5oz, by no means the 10 pounder everyone was convinced I would have.

I am hoping that if I fail I won't have to take the 3 hr as well. We will see. Ugh. That 3 hr is just torture.

And I am carbing myself out too.

July 27th, 2011, 02:09 PM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPinkD View Post
I am hoping that if I fail I won't have to take the 3 hr as well. We will see. Ugh. That 3 hr is just torture.

And I am carbing myself out too.
Just thinking of that awful 3 hour test makes me break out in a cold sweat! It was awful and I felt sick as a dog afterwards. I'm going to bring my glucometer to the one hour and see how well or bad my body is behaving when I do my one hour. And I am definately loving the carbs now! I will probably lose a ton of weight once I have to restrict them or I guess if I have to. Good luck with yours!

July 27th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I don't understand why they just don't do a glucometer in the first place. But, I guess there are other values to consider as well. I don't get paid the big bucks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search