Appt today...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Super Mommy
Had my 14 wk appt today. Just a routine checkup, but the dr asked me if I has been feeling the baby move. I said yes, but not consistently, and asked if this was a problem. He didn't respond right away, but felt my uterus, and said, "Maybe it's just because it's early." I was surprised, because I have read many things that suggest you can feel the baby move at 14 weeks, however if it's not consistent, don't worry about it. When he gave my me paper to take to the front desk, it was for a sonogram, and the term "low weight" was circled under "fetal" category. What the heck?? Should I be concerned or something?

July 27th, 2011, 12:56 PM
SPinkD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to SPinkD
That is so bizarre that he would be worried. Most doctors would tell you you were nuts to feel a baby that early. I would totally NOT worry about it.

Thank you RaspberryBeret for my gorgeous siggy!

July 27th, 2011, 12:56 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
IMO, with the way he handled it, I would have asked HIM if he thinks you should be concerned or what he was thinking.
However, I never felt movement with Eli until I was 22 or so weeks (anterior placenta). At this stage if you aren't feeling regular movement that doesn't seem like anything out of the norm TO ME. 14 weeks is SUPER early considering your baby weighs approx. an ounce and is about 3 inches long It seems crazy that the doctor would expect movement to be regular at this point. I don't know what your doc was thinking though...

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]

Last edited by white.house; July 27th, 2011 at 12:59 PM.
July 27th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Chellie's Avatar Veteran
That doesn't seem right!
I just had an appointment on Monday (16w 6d then) and my doctor asked, "You're not feeling any movement quite yet, are you?" When I said I had been feeling some intermittent fluttery sensations, occasionally something a little more solid, she was surprised and said it was earlier than she'd figured I'd feel anything but that was great.

I'm no expert, but I thought we had another month or so to go before we were feeling regular kicky-type movement.

July 27th, 2011, 01:18 PM
SmilesAreContagious's Avatar Rheanna Mommy-2-b
That is really weird. I wouldnt be too worried. Im 17w3d and all of week 15 and 16 I was feeling movement. Now I hardly feel anything at all. I think its normal, the baby is still so small right now that it makes sence to only feel it sometimes. Please do KUP on what happens after your sonogram. Im sorry he gave you that uneasy feeling. As if being pregnany doesnt have enough uneasy feelings to begin with.
July 27th, 2011, 01:20 PM
~Meg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't think he would be worried over movement. But the fact he felt your uterus and then put low weight. I wonder if he didn't think your uterus was measuring on. But your only 14 weeks most doctors don't start feeling for your uterus until closer to 20 weeks for that reason. It's still too low in your abdomen. I really wouldn't worry. Plus sometimes they just circle stuff to have a reason to do the testing. But you can call the office and ask why he felt you need the scan done.

July 27th, 2011, 01:23 PM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
At my last appt. when my OB asked if I felt movement I told him no and he was not concerned at all. Not really sure what's going on unless it was like Meg said, and he felt like your uterus was measuring small. I would call and ask them why. He really should have given you an explaination.

July 27th, 2011, 01:24 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
I would definitely call for an explanation!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
July 27th, 2011, 01:35 PM
KnJ'sMomma727's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
when is your sonogram?

July 27th, 2011, 01:49 PM
LilBecca's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megp View Post
I wouldn't think he would be worried over movement. But the fact he felt your uterus and then put low weight. I wonder if he didn't think your uterus was measuring on. But your only 14 weeks most doctors don't start feeling for your uterus until closer to 20 weeks for that reason. It's still too low in your abdomen. I really wouldn't worry. Plus sometimes they just circle stuff to have a reason to do the testing. But you can call the office and ask why he felt you need the scan done.

July 27th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
I'm 14w4d and my appt is tomorrow! I feel your anxiety; I would be 100% freaking out right now. I'm not gutsy enough to probably call the office; I'd just schedule the sonogram asap and panic until the technician said, "Everything looks normal." However, I honestly do not think there is any reason for you to be worried. Your uterus could be measuring small because your stomach muscles are nice and tight; because there's less amniotic fluid than he imagined there ought to be, and probably more reasons that I don't know about off the top of my head. There's also lots of reasons why you might not be feeling your baby move around much -- not the least of which is that IT'S TOO EARLY!! Take a deep breath. Don't worry. KelliMom is right; at 14 weeks, your baby is still a little peanut! He/she doesn't need that much!
July 27th, 2011, 02:13 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I totally agree with the other ladies! I think he shuld have given you a better explanation!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
July 27th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashyo727 View Post
when is your sonogram?
My sonogram is scheduled for August 23rd.. also it's a gender scan. I am trying not to worry.. When I left, I asked the nurse why he put low weight, and she asked me how much my son weighed. I said 6 lbs 12 oz. She said, "oh, it's nothing to worry about, you're just not going to have a 9 lb baby, so be glad." IDK what to think... going to try and relax, knowing that the hb is strong, but it's difficult...

July 27th, 2011, 03:17 PM
glitterific's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had my 16 weeks appt and I mentioned I could feel the baby time to time. She said 15w-18w it would be fluttering if I would feel anything at all. Not concerned if I didn't feel anything at all. If you are worried, get another ultrasound or time to rent/buy a doppler *big hugs*
July 27th, 2011, 03:44 PM
pvm4ever88's Avatar Super Mommy
I hope it is nothing to worry about. I agree with the other ladies that he should of given a explanation. Just hang in there I am sure it is fine.

July 27th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My doctor laughed at me when i said i thought i felt some occassional movement at 14 weeks... she said it was way too early.

July 27th, 2011, 07:40 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with everyone else. 14 weeks is very early to be feeling movement at all, much less consistently. I wonder why your doctor would assume your baby is low weight? If he didn't say anything else about it I would assume he's not very concerned. I'm sure everything is fine!

July 27th, 2011, 07:43 PM
-3-Hearts's Avatar She's Country.....
exactly how long did it take your ob to fill out the discharge paper? he could have very easily circled the wrong thing in the wrong area. if he didnt express any concern, i wouldnt worry. dr's screw things up all the time, and this may just be an error on his part. are YOU on the lower end of the weight scale?

<3

<3
July 27th, 2011, 07:44 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I think the way he handled the appointment was really strange but it sounds like he just scheduled you for the normal anatomy scan. He isn't rushing you in or anything to make me think it is serious.

I would call and tell him you want an explination of the comment.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
July 27th, 2011, 07:49 PM
~*~Tracy~*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is my 4th pregnancy and I don't even feel movements yet . It seems very early for your doc to be concerned. I have heard of docs guessing weight by feeling your tummy but not until MUCH later. I'd try not to worry or call back and ask for an explanation.

Tracy, Mom to 4 wonderful boys!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search