VBAC and C/S mommies.... share your experiences!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2011, 01:16 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
This is kind of an open thread on the subject of VBACs and c/s. I really don't want this to turn into a debate, but rather a place where we can share our experiences and help to inform each other.

I had an unplanned/emergency c/s with Eli (my first born) and never thought that it would happen. I knew there was a possibility, but the one thing I DIDN'T want was a c-section... but it happened after 24 hours of labor. I still have a lot of guilt over it and wonder about all of the what-ifs. Right before agreeing to the c/s I thought about how it would affect all of my pregnancies, labors, and deliveries in the future. Now that I am pregnant again, the thoughts of VBACs and repeat c-sections consume my thoughts! It is all I can think about most of the time.

In my case, it could go either way. I am planning for a VBAC and very hopeful, but depending on how this pregnancy continues I could very well have a repeat c-section (and I am okay with this). Hearing other people's stories and remembering that every pregnancy is different definitely helps me to stay hopeful for a vaginal birth!

Please share your stories/experiences here!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]

Last edited by white.house; July 27th, 2011 at 01:21 PM.
July 27th, 2011, 01:30 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I had an unplanned and emergency c-section with Elizabeth. My water broke at 34 weeks for a reason that has never been told to me. When we got to the hospital we found out she was breech and I was pretty much told I was going to have a c-section. That is the LAST thing in the world I wanted to do but there wasn't much to do about it.

I would really love to have a VBAC and we plan on giving it our best shot. However, should something happen where it would become safer for our baby and myself to have a repeat c-section then that is what I will do.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
July 27th, 2011, 01:43 PM
HONEYBUNNY61's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was induced because I had a wedding to be in in 2 weeks for a friend that is no longer a friend. I got an epidural as soon as I could. It only worked halfway. I had so much medicine in me that I was scared I would never feel anything again. Epi gave me the shivers. Again, scared. I was completely disconnected from the labor. I did get to 10 and pushed for 2.5 hours. Baby was big, posterior and wouldn't come down. C-section. Even during the c-section, I was so scared for myself. Was this normal? Is it really OK that I'm reacting to the epi this way? It wasn't until I heard my daughter cry that I was like, duh, I'm having a baby. DH is a wuss and refused to look. She was all wrapped up and clean when I FINALLY got to see her. Then we were separated for 3 hours. All in all, a terrible experience at a time I should be rejoicing. I love that little person so much and I wish I was there for her mentally and emotionally. I should have been excited, not scared. The ONLY thing I feel like I did right was imagining her on the warming table after I had pushed her out. That was my focus while I pushed.

I want to be present. I want my husband to be a participant. I want it to be an experience for me and my child. Knowing that we worked together to be together. I want to breastfeed immediately. I want a real experience. Not an internally fearful experience. Therefore, I will do my absolute best to VBAC. If I end up with a c-section, so be it. But I won't end up with one because I wasn't informed. I will have a c-section backup plan in my birth plan so that my husband will have skin to skin and my child and I will not be separated for so long. But honestly, I'm focusing 100% on VBAC. I've hired a doula for support.

VBAC, NATURAL BIRTHING, BREASTFEEDING, BABYWEARING, CLOTH DIAPERING MOM!
July 27th, 2011, 01:59 PM
^ That is great!!! I loved reading your experience and you are really inspiring me to set my mind completely on a VBAC.

Honestly though, I am still scared and still guilty over Eli's birth.

At 28 weeks I began to gradually develop high blood pressure and was diagnosed with PIH. I was placed on bed rest. When I went to my 38 weeks check up my blood pressure was higher than ever and I was so scared about it affecting my placenta and the baby. The OB and I decided to schedule an induction after talking about it a lot. I was very aware of the possibility of a c/s, but was so convinced it wouldn't happen.
I was induced on a Tuesday night at 7 pm. My water broke on it's own during the night and in the morning I was dilated to 4. I was so excited thinking that my body was actually listening to all of the cues (even though they weren't natural). I got to 5 cm in the mid-morning. Having a nursing degree, it is hard to be hooked up to monitors and NOT pay attention to them. I was watching with each contraction. My contractions were intense, but on the graph they didn't look so bad. Since I was being monitored anyway and had pitocin going and wasn't moving around, I figured that I might as well go ahead and get an epidural right then. I was sure they'd get much worse.
When they placed the eipidural, they gave me an internal monitor and that's when I saw that actually my contrx were off the chart. My nurse then said I was handling the pain very well. This is where the guilt comes in. After the epidural, I dilated only ONE more cm. I am convinced the epidural stalled my labor.
I was stuck on 6 for over 6 hours. It got to the point where Eli was trying to come out when I wasn't fully dilated. He started having drops in his heart rate and they were afraid he wasn't getting enough oxygen. My BP started to go up, etc. In the end it was decided (by me and DH) that I needed to have the c/s.

This time I really really hope to have a VBAC. However, I feel so pessimistic toward the birth...I guess because of my guilt with Eli for choosing my own comfort. I COULD have been fine without an epi. And no it isn't a fact that the epi stalled my labor, but in my mind it did. In my mind the epi and my choice to have it resulted in an event that would forever effect every single pregnancy and labor from that point forward. I have always wanted 4-5 kids.

My ideal pregnancy and delivery would be to have NO BP issues, therefore no possible need for induction. I hope to go into labor on my own. I hope to not have an epidural and have a natural VAGINAL birth. However, I know that there are SOOO many factors that could come into play. Plus, I think I am not allowing myself to fully commit to a VBAC because I still have unresolved feelings about Eli's birth experience. I wish I could be more like you, honeybunny (sorry, don't know your real name).

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

July 27th, 2011, 02:00 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My first birth was my c-section. My membranes ruptured around 39 weeks when my son decided to stick his foot out and hit hte world running. The doctor was unable to attempt a vaginal breech delivery because I did not have aproven pelvis and he was a footling breech which is not a good position for vaginal breech delivery. I will always remember her saying that had he been butt first she would have tried!

With my second I was offered a VBAC. The doctor pointed out that there was recent reearch showing that VBAC 'wasn't safe' and then went on to explain how flawed that research was. Being this OB was also a researcher I trusted his viewpoint on the risk. He mentioned that the study included women that were induced and that induction was the risk factor for uterine rupture...not labor. I was able to give birth to my son...all 9 lb 14 oz of him. While I was excited that i pushe dhim out, the experience left much to be desired. I tore really bad. I pushed for 2.5+ hours. He had decels (most likely because of the epidural) and ended up being a forceps delivery.

With my third I researched a LOT more about birth in general and discovered that a lot of the problems with my son's birth were probably the situation of epidural and staying in bed, plus ruptured membranes (by the doc to speed things up) that cemented his head into a bad position. So, I decided to go natural. And it worked. 4 hours and she was born with just a few pushes. She was also a pretty good sized baby at 1 oz shy of 9 pounds.

My fourth I had to fight. And fight. and fight with the OBs. THe doctors in NJ are anti-brith and pro-section (not all of them, but a lot of them) I called more than 10 doctors before I found one that would 'let' me VBAC. I picked this one, and then foolishly switched during my pregnancy to another doctor because I was afraid of the hospital that was close to us because it has a 50% c-section rate THe second OB was a difficult guy, but waited until labor to show his true colors. After the delivery he assaulted me by doing an invasive vaginal procedure that was not only uneccesary but also dangerous. He did this without my consent and was very rough about it. I did manage to keep his epidural away from me though, I guess that is a small consolation.

My fifth baby I found AMAZING midwives that would be able to deliver me in teh hospital, Their primary client base is home birth, but in NJ it is illegal for them to attend a HABC. I was so blessed to have them as my providers for that birth and i only wish they could be there for me now too. Unfortunately, we moved to Alaska.

I am not sure how this birth will go. I see no reason why I shuold *need a ERCS, but if the need arises I will. I plan on a VBAC again and really think there is no reason I won't be succesful again.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
July 27th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliMom View Post
^
This time I really really hope to have a VBAC. However, I feel so pessimistic toward the birth...I guess because of my guilt with Eli for choosing my own comfort. I COULD have been fine without an epi. And no it isn't a fact that the epi stalled my labor, but in my mind it did. In my mind the epi and my choice to have it resulted in an event that would forever effect every single pregnancy and labor from that point forward. I have always wanted 4-5 kids.

).
I am fairly certain my first VBAC would have been very, very different had I not taken teh epidural. i had dilated from 2-6 cm in 40 minutes. Got the epi and then it took about 10 hours to get complete. With my next two labors (not induced like my fifth) it was 4 hours from teh start of active labor until delivery. I do believe that the epidural was the culprit.

And those external contraction monitors can be so off! The nurse tried to tell me with me daughter that the contractions were not 'really strong' and then she realized they had set to threshold wrong on teh TOCO. They went from barely traceable to through the roof be her adjusting the machine :/

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
July 27th, 2011, 02:13 PM
^ I have done some reading and for some women the epi DOES stall labor.... that is where my guilt comes from for sure. I really wish I would known that my contractions were off the charts before I had asked for it! Then I would have known that I could do it without the epi! I would have at least held out a little longer. I was able to tolerate contrx that were off the charts, that would have been encouraging to me! Dang external monitor!

This time I want EVERYTHING to work in my favor towards dilating! I don't want an epi and I want to move around! Hopefully I can still move around with the monitoring, I'll definitely push for it!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

July 27th, 2011, 02:17 PM
WHile I am not a fan have having a probe in my baby's head it happened during my fourth birth. When the doc ruptured my membranes he inserted the internal fetal monitor (without my consent....sigh). THe good thing about it was I was then able to get up and move around with more freedom since it stays in place better than teh external monitor does.

Sail Back to Me
July 27th, 2011, 03:02 PM
HONEYBUNNY61's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm Joedee, Kelli. No biggie.

I've had 2 and a half years to "heal." Maybe that's part of your hesitation, the fact that your c-section wasn't that long ago. I can see where BP would be a worry for you. You just never know what may happen. You could do totally fine this time. You've got time to "study" and think and prep and whatnot. Hope you get your VBAC!

My body did what it was supposed to do even though I was just laying there....for hours. I believe that my inability to move kept the baby from moving. Simple as that. So, that's where my confidence comes from.

VBAC, NATURAL BIRTHING, BREASTFEEDING, BABYWEARING, CLOTH DIAPERING MOM!
July 27th, 2011, 03:43 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
I was having pre-term labor, lots of contractions with Josiah for about 3 weeks prior to his due date. By 40W 3D, I was 3cm dilated, 50% effaced. My OB told me she wasn't comfortable sending me home because my blood pressure had started to rise. She felt the safest thing was to induce. When they got me on the monitors, I was already contracting strongly about every 30 seconds. They gave me pitocin and ruptured my membranes a few hours later (knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't have allowed them to rupture the membranes... my only regret). I labored all natural to 10 cm, and then lost my grip on the pain because I got so physically tired (it was middle of the night by then, and I had been up since 6:30am the day before), so I asked for an epi right before I started pushing. I pushed for 3 hours, with them eventually turning the epi off. Josiah got stuck at a plus 2 station, and even though I tried many different positions to try to get him to move, he was wedged tight, and having decels. The OB said that she could try a vacuum extraction, but she did not have a good feeling given his presentation about it working, and that she felt a c/s was the better option, because she would hate to have me tear badly down below with a failed vacuum attempt, and then have the c/s on top of it to recover from. In the OR, I was given another epi, which didn't numb me up enough. I was then given a spinal. I hemorrhaged during the c/s, and began to feel really nauseous on the table, so they had to put me under for about 20 minutes while they finished my surgery. I got to meet Josiah right when I woke up, and we were immediately wheeled to recovery, and he was put to my chest once we were in our room. I don't have any regrets about my last delivery... I feel like I did absolutely everything I could to get him out, and the c/s became a necessity. As for next time, I have no fear of giving birth vaginally, but a I have a HUGE fear of a failed VBAC attempt, because that puts me at the highest risk for repeat hemorrhaging, which was the absolute worst part of my last delivery. I was extremely sick for the first 5 days of Josiah's life because I was so anemic, and it took me a full year to recover from his birth. I want to be present with my next baby, and to remember our first hours together. My OB (same one who delivered Josiah) listened to my fears, concerns and thoughts, and said that she thinks a repeat c/s is the best option next time, but that she will support me if I choose to do a vbac. At this point, I plan to schedule a repeat c/s, but am undecided about what I want my birth plan to be if I go into labor on my own prior to the c/s date.

July 27th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was a week off from my due date, and had went in for my routine weekly visit. They took my blood pressure about 5 times and collected a urine specimen. I could hear a lot of commotion outside the door while I waited after about 30 minutes the doctor and nurse came back and once again took my bp again. The nurse just shook her head. So, my doctor then says "What do you think about having a baby tomorrow?" Well, if you are familiar with the heat in Birmingham, Alabama towards the end of August, first of September you will know why I had a huge smile on my face and almost screamed YES!. So anyway. I had a lot of protein in my urine and excessively high blood pressure. So, yeah, induction it was.

We get to the hospital and hooked up to everything and things are going well, getting some pitocin and feeling some contractions. Things are actually starting to move along rather swiftly. I get the epi and I am thankful for it. I was running a little hot so that cool medicine going into my back was rather pleasant. With the epi, I didn't have any of the shakes or really horrible side effects. I did get nauseous but to be honest, I get that way when someone takes a blood sample. Did I mention the catheter? I loved that thing! Seriously after going to pee every 5 minutes for the past 3 months, it was awesome not to have to get up at all for those few hours. So, everything is moving along and it is time to push. I can tell you that I did not feel pain, but I felt like I was being thumped so I knew when to push and push I did. For hours, upon hours it seemed. All the while, my little baby was a trooper. She was not distressed, the heartbeat was steady. She was comfy and didn't want to come out.
In the end though, I gave up. I was tired, I was hungry and I was getting sick, sicker by the minute it seemed like. I wanted this baby out of me. So, the call was made, c-section it was. All in all, it was a fascinating experience. My only request was that they clean up the baby a bit before handing her to me. Sorry, I am not a momma cat. I do not feel the need to cut the cord with my teeth or lick the birth goo off of my baby. It's just me. By the way, do you know how hard it is to puke with your stomach area cut open? Once I started smelling flesh burning, I found out.

My little girl came out perfect. Even though she was a C-section baby, she had that distinctive cone shape to her head that all vag birth babies do, so while in the nursery she could face her peers and not be ashamed that she was a c-section baby. It was just going to be our family secret!

Post-Op.

Honestly, I was worried. I had heard horror stories and I had considered asking my husband to get me one of those toilet seats that people who cant sit on their own use for when I got home. Anyway. Post op night wasn't bad,I was shocked. They had me hooked up to one of those serve yourself morphine machines, I didn't use it and the nurses were concerned. But honestly, the pain just wasn't there. If I can think of what it felt like, I have to think back to my childhood and the Slip N'Slide days. You know how your stomach would be sore for a couple of days, thats what it felt like, maybe a little worse. But I was up walking around very soon after, I HAD to get out of that dreadful hospital gown.

I am pretty happy with the way my first child was born. I don't feel that we have some lack of connection or felt that I had to work on bonding with my child. It was a living, breathing human that came out of my body, if that isn't reason for an instant connection, not sure what is.
July 27th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was induced at 40+7 as I had been admitted to hospital with high blood pressure. It came under control with meds and instead of sending me off home, the Dr said he will put me on the waiting list for induction. Not knowing any better I just thought yeah great, Im dont now anyway. Good old hospital 'policies' having to up doses to this and that within certain time frames etc meant that DDs heart rate kept dropping and I progresed to 4cms in 2 days. So failed induction it was and an emergency cesear for me. Worst decision ever to be induced, I didnt fully inform myself at all and that will not be happening this time around. If I need to be induced ir have a cesearan, it will be because its medically necessary and not because Ive already had a section, have a 'big' baby, have reached 40 weeks etc etc.
July 27th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie1975 View Post
Well, if you are familiar with the heat in Birmingham, Alabama towards the end of August, first of September you will know why I had a huge smile on my face and almost screamed YES!.
Where did you deliver?? I am also in Bham!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

July 27th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliMom View Post
Where did you deliver?? I am also in Bham!

Brookwood. Hopefully the work will be finished by January. What about you?
July 27th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Brookwood here too!! What a small world!
I see Dr. Duke.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

July 27th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am with Dr. Freeman and I couldn't be happier. The first time I went to see him I was rather irritated with the wait time but now I understand why. He is very, very through and doesn't let you leave if you have questions. He really makes it a point to inform you of everything and make sure you are happy.

How funny would it be if we were in the same hospital on the same day!
July 27th, 2011, 07:09 PM
^ That would be CRAZY!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

July 27th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh, who do you use for your pediatrician?
July 27th, 2011, 07:31 PM
-3-Hearts's Avatar She's Country.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie1975 View Post
I don't feel that we have some lack of connection or felt that I had to work on bonding with my child. It was a living, breathing human that came out of my body, if that isn't reason for an instant connection, not sure what is.
because you were lucky. I had my dd vaginally and felt NOTHING due to a stupid induction, where I produced not one drop of oxytocin. There are a LOT of women here that know EXACTLY what I'm talking about, and I know you weren't trying to be rude or snarky or anything at all, but this really hit a nerve with me. It's hard to say something like that when you haven't experienced it first hand. I'm not trying to be rude or jump on you or anything either. I jut wanted to say how this made me feel because it's so personal to me.

<3

<3
July 27th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh for F's sake.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search