Kidneys...*sigh*

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2011, 05:00 AM
ColonialChick's Avatar Cautiously THRILLED ;D
On Tuesday morning, I woke up feeling fine. I got out of bed, stood up, and *BAM* the most intense back cramp I've ever had! It was on my right side, about midway up and just wouldn't let go! I stretched, bent over, crawled across the bed, did some yoga poses...anything to get it to release. Nothing. I called out from work and spent the whole day trying to get comfortable and get some sleep.

Tuesday night was HORRIBLE. I was up all night crying, walking, sitting, standing, nothing helped. DH finally said, "you're either going to the doc tomorrow, or I'm taking you to the ER". I called my OB first thing Wednesday morning and he said that it didn't sound pregnancy related to him, but that I should go on to the ER, as they would be most likely to help quickly.

I spent several hours in there and only had to give a urine sample. They determined that I have a low grade Kidney infection, which is pretty serious in pregnancy, evidently. Had we not caught it so early on, they would have admitted me. I was given an antibiotic and told to take one extra strength Tylenol every 6 hours.

She said that the antibiotic was baby-safe (Macrobid or Nitrofur), but the literature with it from the pharmacy says that it's more of a "risk vs. benefit" thing. I suppose that not getting treated would be worse for the baby, but the thought of taking any medication is terrifying! Does anyone have any experience with this?

July 28th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
I've never had this exact problem, but I did take a whole mess of medication when I first got pregnant, before I knew. The nurse asked if I was pregnant and I told her I was TTC, but we had missed the window (I thought I was telling the truth!). Antibiotics, sudafed with codeine, some kind of prescription cold medication, and an inhaler. When I found out I was pregnant, the first thing I did was freak out!!

Call your OB or MW and ask the office if it's a safe antibiotic. If not, they can give you another rx for something safer. When you look on the internet, it should tell you the class of the drug; then you can see whether it's safe or the risk of NOT taking it is greater than the risk of taking it. I had one drug like that, and so far, everything is ok with our little one.

I'm so sorry you're going through this!
July 28th, 2011, 06:09 AM
SPinkD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to SPinkD
That totally totally sucks. I had a kidney stone when Bailey was 3 months old and I have never experienced any pain like it (granted, I didn't go through labor). Drink your water ladies...I didn't drink enough and the doc said that is most likely what contributed to the stone.

I would say, call your OB, if he says that it is okay to take the meds, or that the benefits outweigh the costs, take it. I don't see how you are really going to get around taking an antibiotic in this situation and still heal?? But, I am no expert.

Soooo sorry.

Thank you RaspberryBeret for my gorgeous siggy!

July 28th, 2011, 06:29 AM
ColonialChick's Avatar Cautiously THRILLED ;D
I have an appointment with him at 11, today (my regular monthly). He was on call at the hospital yesterday, so he was available for consult on the case and approved the treatment plan. That gave me alot of relief. I started taking them yesterday and already feel SO much better!

There really is no other option from taking the antibiotic, but it still makes me nervous. I have been so careful to eat well and introduce as few chemicals as possible into this process. This whole thing just sucks!

Weird TMI: My pee literally looks like a yellow highlighter exploded in the water! haha It started with the medication last night...I half expected it to be a night-light for my regular nightly pilgrimage to the bathroom and back!

July 28th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Mistyx6's Avatar Mommy of 6
Send a message via MSN to Mistyx6
OOOh Im so sorry! I have had several infections and stones in my life and they are very painful. Im so glad you caught it before it got worse. Just take it easy for a couple days drink water and cranberry juice.

July 28th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Mrs. Harris's Avatar Praying for #2
Glad you are starting to feel better
July 28th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Veteran
Ouch! I'm sorry! Before I got pregnant, I was hospitalized a few times for a kidney infection and they are definitely no fun! Glad you're feeling better!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search