I have NO IDEA what to do, here...advice needed

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2011, 12:30 PM
Veteran
Sooo...my husband and I are having a dilemma. We just moved to Colorado from Georgia and we've yet to make any real friends. This is our first baby, so we are in desperate need of EVERYTHING one would normally receive at a baby shower.

However.

Even if we somehow made it to GA for a shower - which is unlikely (his entire family lives in Upstate NY and we already did a double wedding reception - we're not going down that road again), it isn't practical for anyone to give us physical gifts...because, first, how would we get them all back to CO? We'd have to bring tons of suitcases...and more importantly, I'm not really comfortable putting all kinds of new baby stuff in the cargo hold of an airplane - heaven forbid it gets lost.

We talked about asking for giftcards with a picture of the item they wanted to buy for us...but is that stupid? What if multiple people put a picture of the same thing??

What do we do?? I don't want to sound desperate for gifts...even though I am, since we don't have a single baby item. I've seen mixed opinions on "virtual" baby showers and how to tastefully/logistically do them...I'm really at a loss, here. My husband's family, my family and friends and my husband and I are spread out across the entire country!
August 2nd, 2011, 12:38 PM
Regular
I like the gift card idea. OR they can place an order on Amazon and have it shipped to you.

August 2nd, 2011, 12:52 PM
Capns Girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thats a tough situation! I think that gift cards with the pictures is a good idea. Its not uncommon to receive multiple items at a baby shower, and you end up having to return a few things. This way if you get multiple pics you just go pick out something else.

August 2nd, 2011, 12:53 PM
HubbysSweetheart's Avatar Little Jo married Laurie!
As far as gifts, you can always register online, (ebay or amazon) or go with a store and request that gifts be mailed to you. I know at my SIL's wedding many of the guests did this and the shipping straight from the store was very reasonable.

I was going to suggest an 'online' shower, but you have already thought about this so I don't have any other ideas for you. Hope someone else does!

August 2nd, 2011, 01:47 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think that your true friends and of course family will post you a gift whether they live afar or not. In New Zealand we have baby showers but they really only include very close friends and family,,, those who would give you a gift whether you organised a baby shower party or not. Perhaps friends that live close to each other or near your parents could organise bringing any gifts when they come and visit the baby after it is born?

August 2nd, 2011, 01:52 PM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
I think I would have my shower thrown in the area where I have the most relatives/friends (I'd travel there) and beforehand, setup a cash-based registry website, with categories: crib, diapers, bedding, etc., but also register for little things you can pack up and take on the plane (teething ring, toys, outfits, etc.) You could also box up and ship presents too, if they don't weigh a lot. I like Myregistry.com, and you can add notes to your items. so you can registry for a crib and ask in the note that the person has it shipped to your home address.
August 2nd, 2011, 03:41 PM
hoping4more
you can register anywhere and gifts could be shipped to you. You could just ask for gift cards. It wouldnt be you setting up your shower anyway usually that is done by the mother or a close friend. I would expect them to organize and send out requests. I dont think anyone would be upset helping out if they would have originally gone to your shower anyway.
August 2nd, 2011, 05:44 PM
Super Mommy
I like the picture gift card idea
August 2nd, 2011, 06:35 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I'd personally make a wishlist on Amazon or Babies R Us. Sounds like a simple solution. Gift cards to stores in your area is also a wonderful idea. =)
August 2nd, 2011, 06:39 PM
HonestMamma's Avatar Bish!
I also would travel to the place that has to most family. Although it's a huge pain, if anyone gives you any large items, you can always return them to the store before you leave and then re-purchase them in your home state.

August 2nd, 2011, 06:44 PM
Veteran
Thank you all for the help and suggestions!! This was one thing I never really considered when we realized we'd be having a baby!...so many things to think about! Gah!
August 2nd, 2011, 06:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I like the gift card also & send a pic of what u bought in the thank you letter
My cousin told me about a website that has free shipping on baby registry items & they have lots of baby stuff its called diapers.com

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
August 2nd, 2011, 08:47 PM
isaroo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also moved cross country in December, and my husband and I don't know anyone. We will have to travel back to WI for a shower in the fall sometime.

But, I remember my mom attending a shower for a lady that wasn't present at the shower because she had just moved and couldn't travel back. Her mom threw the party and all her friends and family came, and she skyped in to chat with everyone. Just an idea.

~Missing our Angel ~ March 2014~

August 3rd, 2011, 12:12 AM
BrittanyLBH's Avatar (Formerly DueFeb2012)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer mom-to-be View Post
I like the gift card idea. OR they can place an order on Amazon and have it shipped to you.
This is exactly what I was going to say. Amazon is a wonderful idea. You can make a registry on Amazon.com & send the link to everyone and the gift will ship right to you. When someone buys you a car-seat (for example) it takes it off, so you won't get two, and it tells you who bought it, so you can thank them.

August 3rd, 2011, 09:28 AM
Coby Jaylen Aubriya mom
Maybe you could send out babyshower invites with your registry list and have it at your house. Some people might be able to come (like your mom, dad, siblings), and those who cant would probably send something in the mail. Thats what my out of town family did.
August 3rd, 2011, 09:32 AM
Veteran
isaroo - LOVE the Skype chat idea!!!

Tags
baby showers , support

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search