Bridesmaid dress — I'm like a sausage

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2011, 06:00 PM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
My bestie is getting married in 53 days —*sept. 24. I need advice.
At the time of dress ordering, DH and I were desperately trying, but having so many troubles. The dress shop said to order the dress 1 size bigger, so I did.

I've had the dress for 3 weeks and was too afraid to try it on, till today. I'm 11w3d and my belly popped this weekend (first baby).

The dress is baggy on my chest (each breast cup can fit my entire head).
Very tight around the upper rib cage (no room to grow at all).
Fits nicely over the stomach/hips (maybe a tiny bit of room to grow).

I believe (hope, pray) it can be taken out a little, about one size, I believe.

So, in 7 1/2 weeks, how much will I grow? That's the $250 question. Do you think I'll fit in it after alterations take it out one size? Should I tell the bride (now?) to have a back up dress (I'm the MOH, so I could wear something different)? I hate to put stress on her and I wish I had $250 to shell out for a new gown, but this is a destination wedding, and I'm still paying off $500 from her bachelorette party. How do I break that news —*that I cannot afford a second dress?

SORRY FOR WRITING SO MUCH.
August 2nd, 2011, 06:14 PM
Shannon1978's Avatar ~Formerly Donkey Lemonade
Oh wow! That is a tough one! I am sure that if she was a true friend that she would know how hard it was to get pregnant and she would understand. I always find it is better to honest, sooner rather than later.
August 2nd, 2011, 06:52 PM
jaelin's Avatar Super Mommy
I agree that its better to address the problem sooner rather than later. and ya never know she might have a solution you haven't considered.
It has definatley been annoying trying to guess what size we will be when. I just got new bras and they are already suffocating me.
Mars (9 months
)

missing my 2 angels

"Every person in the world has passed through the body of a woman..."

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...77625732258607
August 2nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Yikes. I can tell you now, that dress will not fit in 7.5 weeks! When I was a bride's matron last year, I knew I was trying for a baby so I automatically told her I was getting an empire waist dress. I doubt you can return the dress now. Do you know anyone that can sew a new dress with the same color fabric?

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven. Hoping to get knocked up in 2016. Sometimes.

http://arwenart.com
August 2nd, 2011, 07:34 PM
HonestMamma's Avatar Bish!
I would call the place you ordered it from and tell them you may need a panel sewn in. Usually, they can do that if they know in advance.

August 2nd, 2011, 08:42 PM
katylady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope it all works out. I'm in a wedding in 2 weeks but I haven't popped out too much. And I thought I was going to be needing to get the inseams sewn in around my boobs but thanks to the pregnancy the dress fits fine.

But the other ladies are right. I would talk to the bride and let her know what's going on and maybe she knows who to call to get this situation fixed/worked out.
August 2nd, 2011, 08:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah I know at my rate it probably wouldnt fix me next week lol
Hopefully the bridal shop can fix it somehow for you

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
August 2nd, 2011, 10:26 PM
akicequeen02's Avatar Super Mommy
That is tough. I agree with the other girls. You should tell her and see if you both can't come to some kind of middle ground of what will work for her wedding party and something that will fit you! I have to say that middle of my 11th week I had no choice but to buy maternity clothes.

Tiffany
August 3rd, 2011, 06:17 AM
hoping4more
I would talk with the bride and call the dress place and ask about a panel. You are going to have to pay for adjustments anyways on top of it all.

My bridesmaid and maid of honor where awesome neither had money and I had to pay for both of them. My sister never paid me back either!
August 3rd, 2011, 06:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I feel your pain, I wa just in a wedding this past weekend! I got mine 2 sizes bigger bc I knew we would be trying again and just had it taken in.
Can you get extra material somewhere...the dress company, bridal shop, can the dress be shortened to get extra material to let the top out?? I would say that's your cheapest option, and take it to a tailer to have them work their magic! Good luck!
August 3rd, 2011, 07:27 AM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
OK, I took everyone's advice and sent the bride an email. I feel so awful about all of this. I hope she understands.

It's an empire waist dress and that's the part that is the tightest —*weird, right? Panels are a good idea!
August 3rd, 2011, 10:35 AM
Coby Jaylen Aubriya mom
wow tought question, can you get it altered in about 6 weeks?? Then you'll have 1.5 weeks till the wedding and you probably wont grow much more..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search