Trolls

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Another board here on JM that I frequent just took care of a "troll." I feel so naive about this subject. I guess maybe I am too trusting. I'm wondering who is watching out for this board in terms of trolls? And what things would be helpful to prove someone is not. I have a very specific reason for not having pictures on my siggy yet, and that's not until I share about the pregnancy on facebook. I just don't want anyone finding me on here and then saying something on my facebook. Anyways, just wondering if anyone one else has dealt with a troll issue?

Mommy Pam to 8 other blessings ages 16 to newborn! 5 boys and 3 girls.
For the multiples forum: I have identical twin boys who are 3.
August 3rd, 2011, 10:08 AM
Super Mommy
I guess I'm pretty niave too. What's a troll? I am like you in that I don't give out my location and I'm pretty particular about posting pictures.

Coming soon...... Linkin Archer
August 3rd, 2011, 10:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not really even sure what a troll is? But this person created a JM account, and I guess lied about her pregnancy, and the conditions of one of her twins. She invited a few us onto her facebook page and a couple of the girls picked up on inconsistencies in her story. I guess trolls also steal pictures and use their made up stories to draw attention to themselves. I'm sure there's more to it.

August 3rd, 2011, 10:15 AM
~Nik*Re~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we had a troll in the Oct. 2008 DDC/PR. She was really horrible to one of the now hosts who is super awesome. Don't understand why she targeted her, jealousy maybe. Anywho, I'm pretty sure she was banned from JM.

Check out my FB page for cute Boutique Stuff for Boys and Girls

August 3rd, 2011, 10:22 AM
Girl IS my name's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think hunting out trolls just causes more drama than is necessary. They're going to out themselves on their own eventually anyway. I think spending all your time "taking care of them" just means that you have too much time on your hands and that you enjoy the drama of them being outed. Trolls hurt people. If you suspect someone, report them and just let it be done with. Don't harass them or call them out. They want attention and negative attention is still attention. That is my own opinion though.

Follow my blog: http://finallyfoundwhereibelong.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for our PR Banner!!
August 3rd, 2011, 10:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready_for_BabyMcD View Post
I think hunting out trolls just causes more drama than is necessary. They're going to out themselves on their own eventually anyway. I think spending all your time "taking care of them" just means that you have too much time on your hands and that you enjoy the drama of them being outed. Trolls hurt people. If you suspect someone, report them and just let it be done with. Don't harass them or call them out. They want attention and negative attention is still attention. That is my own opinion though.
That's good advice. I'm definitely not hunting them, lol. I completely fell for her story. So I was glad someone else was paying way more attention them me. But again that's really good advice. Also because of the situation a few of us have become friends on facebook. Which I have yet to do here on this board.

August 3rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
Shannon1978's Avatar ~Formerly Donkey Lemonade
I love that they are called 'trolls'! lol!
August 3rd, 2011, 11:31 AM
MomTo3LittleBoys's Avatar Love my house of boys!
Yup I have first hand with a troll. I co-hosted with one in my son's PR. She had over 5 accounts on JM and lied about her two kids that we grew up with. I even talked to this person on the phone. They found out she was a fake and banned all of her accounts. Girls in my PR tracked her down and she was just a young twenty something year old girl that lived in Ohio. Trolls are mainly here to just gain attention. Most of the time they are harmful.

August 3rd, 2011, 11:33 AM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
Our TTCAL board had a troll who faked being pregnant. The host discovered that her BFP image was phoney and reported her. This troll said she was physically abused and molested in her past. I totally fell for it.

Trolls suck! But I'm not sure you can do too much about them.
August 3rd, 2011, 11:44 AM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
I agree with Ash they are usually here to cause drama and are usually pretty noticeable, I have seen many come and go here and there
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 11mo 10/10/13

August 3rd, 2011, 11:44 AM
Veteran
Wow. Put me in the naive category! I had no idea!!!
August 3rd, 2011, 11:47 AM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
Talk about too much time on your hands! Who would do this, and why? Sounds like these people have serious mental issues, the whole thing is just creepy.
August 3rd, 2011, 12:28 PM
ovramirez27's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm one of the naive ones, why would someone do that?

August 3rd, 2011, 01:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't understand why people do it either other than for attention. We had a girl on another board I'm on fake her own death. Her "fiancť" came on and posted that she died in a car accident. We couldn't find any info on her death and he wouldn't provide funeral info so that raised a red flag. It turned out to be some 17 year old girl who wad a compulsive liar.
August 3rd, 2011, 01:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy

Ive met a few jm mamas so im real lol
But we had 2 trolls once in mom of girls
Hard when u get attached to a group of girls then find out someone isnt who they say they are
Even with the troll issues ive made some great jm friends and nevrer would leave jm bc a handful of people want attention

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
August 3rd, 2011, 01:44 PM
HonestMamma's Avatar Bish!
Unfortunately, this is the internet, where anonymity rules. You can't force someone to give information they don't want to give, but I am always leery of people with horrible stories or just really unbelievable things going on in their lives- good or bad.

I have a few hard and fast rules when it comes to online message boards. 1.) Never get emotionally involved with someone until you can verify that they are who they say they are. I donít trust anyone who makes a fake FB account for their online friends or whatever. THat's just me. If someone gives you access to their life, you should be willing to reciprocate. Otherwise, don't participate. 2.) NEVER EVER give anything monetary to anyone that claims to have had a tragedy unless itís going to a real charity or you can prove the tragedy happened. I have seen people fake their deaths, fake their babyís death, etc. Itís ridiculous the lengths people will go to for attention, and worse, for money.

That being said, I am very private when it comes to these boards. I will not share anything until I feel comfortable with people in this board. If people want to think poorly of me because I wonít post my life, so be it. But, itís more important to me to protect my family than to worry about what someone on a message board thinks. I am not trying to offend anyone, I just have been there done that, and I am now very careful about what I post.

August 3rd, 2011, 04:35 PM
Bella11356's Avatar Super Mommy
Ive delt with tons of trolls. I ran a large fan site when i was younger with about 35,000 members. We got trolls all the time. They always out themselves, though they seemed to be more subdued on a site like this. I would more so call them liars before I called them trolls. Trolls just wants trouble and to see how much they can cause before they get banned, normally this doesn't take long.

August 3rd, 2011, 04:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Ashley~* View Post
Yup I have first hand with a troll. I co-hosted with one in my son's PR. She had over 5 accounts on JM and lied about her two kids that we grew up with. I even talked to this person on the phone. They found out she was a fake and banned all of her accounts. Girls in my PR tracked her down and she was just a young twenty something year old girl that lived in Ohio. Trolls are mainly here to just gain attention. Most of the time they are harmful.
Yup! I am in the same PR! It was crazy how "normal" this person was, and how long she was a part of our group before she was caught!
You just can't take these boards too seriously and get too emotionally attached, that being said though, I can't imagine not knowing some of the ladies I have met through my PR
August 3rd, 2011, 05:21 PM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
I've felt cheated by a troll or two. Only because I really fell for their story and felt bad for them. But at the end of the day, these are just ppl I "converse" with on the Internet.
I have to remind myself of that when dealing with trolls,drama, liars ,etc.
A drama seeker is worse than a troll in my opinion.
I think some people or JM in general might need to put more effort into getting rid of the drama queens and less into ridding the trolls. IMHO of course...
There are whackadoos everywhere...

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

August 3rd, 2011, 05:36 PM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We had a troll in the Sept 2010 DDC/PR. She was actually the host while she was "pregnant". Someone discovered that she was stealing pictures from some totally random person. It was really good detective work. She never came to explain herself, just disappeared. She was really sweet and I never would have suspected her. But the evidence couldn't be explained away. It was clearly someone else's baby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search