Question: Heart Rate

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 5th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Veteran
Who here is adhering to keeping your heart rate at 140 bpm or less when exercising? My OB said that that "number," per se, wasn't accurate, but I should instead pay attention to how I feel and slow down or stop when my body tells me to. So far, that has been working wonderfully, even though I truly have no idea what my HR has been when I go for runs. I haven't had any cramping or spotting, etc, so I am assuming I'm not over working my body??

(some background: I've been a runner for years...completed 2 full marathons last year and was in the process of training for a half, so I wasn't just beginning an exercise program when I got the BFP)

What about you?
August 5th, 2011, 08:48 AM
jaelin's Avatar Super Mommy
I haven't been keeping track either. I don't run, I dance, but like you I have been doing it for a long time. I have found that I get tired MUCH quicker now than I ever have but besides that everything seems ok.
I think we will be fine as long as we listen to our bodys needs and don't push it too far.
Mars (9 months
)

missing my 2 angels

"Every person in the world has passed through the body of a woman..."

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...77625732258607
August 5th, 2011, 08:50 AM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
My doc gave me the same advice about heart rates: "they aren't important, instead pay attention to your body", but so much of what I read online says they are. I honestly think there isn't enough tested research on this to be 100 percent certain.

I quit running (my 3K 3xs per week) immediately after my bfp and I do the elliptical, bike or walk, and lift light weights. My heart rate stays around 130-140, but really I pay more attention to any pains down there.

I had a m/c last year. For that pregnancy, I was jogging/playing attention to my heart rate. A very slow jog had me at 140+ and I tried to stay under that, cut my runs to 2K, etc. This time around, PERSONAL DECISION, I'm just being super cautious, and the doc thought it was a good idea.

What scares me more is reading about what exercises could cut off oxygen to the baby. ECK!
August 5th, 2011, 08:55 AM
aogilvie's Avatar Super Mommy
The rule of thumb I've heard is that you should always be able to articulate in sentences as if you were talking to a friend while exercising. If you're able to do that without having to stop to take big breaths in between words, you should be good.
TTC #1 with Endometriosis & Antiphospholipid Syndrome since December 2008
Dec 2008 - April 2010 #17 Natural cycles
May 2010 - IUI + clomid 50mg BFN
June 2010 - IUI + clomid 50mg BFN
July 2010 - IUI + clomid 100mg BFN
Sept/OC 2010 - IVF #1 (1 embryo transfered; none to freeze) BFP!!!
Oct 25 2010 - First ultrasound at 6.5 weeks TWO HEARTBEATS!!! The embryo split; we're having identical twins!!!
Nov 30 2010 - Ultrasound at 11 weeks; no heartbeats & no growth past 9 weeks
Dec 2 - D&C#1
Dec 7 2010 - D&C#2
Dec 22 2010 through current - Weekly acupuncture treatment
May/June 2011 - IVF#2 with acupuncture (1 embryo transferred; 4 embies on ice!!!) BFP!!!
June 29 2011 - First ultrasound at 7.0 weeks. Everything looks great so far!

July 18, 2011 - Second ultrasound at 9.5 weeks. Baby is doing great!

Feb 10 2012 - Molly Eileen arrived at 7lbs 11oz and 19inches!!!

Tags
pregnancy , running

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search