Can Someone Please Help Me...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Veteran
Gain weight!!!

I'm not trying to sound...however you think I sound...but this is my first and I'm trying to do what is best for the baby and I feel like I'm failing...I was directed by my OB at my appointment over a week ago to gain weight and I've yet to put on a single pound! I'm eating as much as I can manage (still dealing with food aversion issues and I get full really quickly now) and I'm trying to eat higher calorie foods (I've gone from skim to 2% milk - can't handle whole milk)...what else should I try to do??

Initially, I was supposed to gain 8 pounds the first 20 weeks (total gain of 25-35 pounds) and I'm almost on week 13 with no gain at all...which makes it at least a pound a week to gain...how am I going to do that??
August 6th, 2011, 10:38 AM
NortheastWifey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope this isn't exactly what you don't want to hear - but I really wouldn't worry too much. I'm 14 weeks today and I've lost a pound so far. I've been so sick that it just is what it is right now. And I definitely have been eating as much as I can, too. (And I'm a healthy weight for my height - 128 and 5'5".) I'm really surprised that at less than 12 weeks your OB was pushing you to gain weight! Tons of people don't gain weight in their first tri. I guess the only time I would think you might be concerned is if you're significantly underweight to start. Unless you were, I wouldn't worry too much. Just try to eat healthy, balanced meals/snacks and you should be fine. You'll be surprised how fast you start to gain in a few weeks without having to add foods to force you to gain.

Hollie
August 6th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
Weight gain has everything to do with body structure and many many other factors, you sound like you are doing great just keep eating good food and I am sure you will start gaining, maybe ask your doc about getting in touch with a dietitian they help a lot with this HTH

Here are a few good sites that might help
How to Gain Weight While Pregnant - Gaining Weight in Pregnancy

Having Trouble Eating Enough during Pregnancy? Use These Calorie-Boosting Tips
Karrara 10 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 1/2 07/1/06, Kayda 7 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 1 10/10/13

August 6th, 2011, 10:44 AM
~Nik*Re~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't gained anything either, in fact I've lost 4 pounds. I also still have versions, but they seem to be getting better slowly. I ate three peeps this morning, and before I couldnt even handle the word cookies. I also get full after a few bites of food. My Dr doesnt seem to worried about it atm. I wish I had some more helpful advice for you, what does your doctor say to do?

Check out my FB page for cute Boutique Stuff for Boys and Girls

August 6th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I dont have that problem already up 7lbs
But I wouldnt stress ur self over it
Just keep trying icecream yummy lol

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
August 6th, 2011, 11:22 AM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
1. I've gained 2-3 lbs in 12 weeks, and my doc isn't concerned at all about my weight. They didn't even take a starting weight. I think your OB is being unfair to you. I read you need to gain 0 in your first tri unless you are severely underweight. the baby is like 2 inches and doesn't need much "extra."

2. I know you are a long-distance runner, so if you are very concerned, try cutting down your runs just a bit. easier said than done, i know.
August 6th, 2011, 11:28 AM
HonestMamma's Avatar Bish!
I agree with the others- don't beat yourself up over this if you are eating well and doing the best for your baby!

August 6th, 2011, 11:34 AM
ASoldiersLuckyCharm's Avatar Three's A Charm <3
Send a message via ICQ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Yahoo to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Skype™ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm
I wouldn't worry right now.. It takes me 5-6 months to start gaining weight and I always gain right at 40lbs. It will start coming on slowly but surley. 8 lbs is better than noting.

all graphics made by Jackie at http://cutesypies.livejournal.com/ & http://blushfuls.com/ tell her Judy sent you
August 6th, 2011, 11:35 AM
KeepingFaith's Avatar *~Mom to Faith Marie~*
I am no help, I have lost 20 lbs thanks to Hyperemesis.

1/25/12

August 6th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Veteran
Thank you girls!! I think part of my doctor's concern is the no weight gain + running. On some days I am in such a calorie deficit that I can't make it up! The half marathon is in Sept...so I'm almost there!
August 6th, 2011, 12:26 PM
aogilvie's Avatar Super Mommy
I think you're okay. I think I've gained 1/2 a pound so far and I'm almost 13 weeks. You're running, yes, but it doesn't sound like you're losing weight, so I think it sounds fine.

So much of what I've read indicates that there's no reason to gain any weight in the 1st trimester, just as another poster mentioned. I'm not sure why your OB is stressing you out with that .

Good luck in the 1/2 marathon!
TTC #1 with Endometriosis & Antiphospholipid Syndrome since December 2008
Dec 2008 - April 2010 #17 Natural cycles
May 2010 - IUI + clomid 50mg BFN
June 2010 - IUI + clomid 50mg BFN
July 2010 - IUI + clomid 100mg BFN
Sept/OC 2010 - IVF #1 (1 embryo transfered; none to freeze) BFP!!!
Oct 25 2010 - First ultrasound at 6.5 weeks TWO HEARTBEATS!!! The embryo split; we're having identical twins!!!
Nov 30 2010 - Ultrasound at 11 weeks; no heartbeats & no growth past 9 weeks
Dec 2 - D&C#1
Dec 7 2010 - D&C#2
Dec 22 2010 through current - Weekly acupuncture treatment
May/June 2011 - IVF#2 with acupuncture (1 embryo transferred; 4 embies on ice!!!) BFP!!!
June 29 2011 - First ultrasound at 7.0 weeks. Everything looks great so far!

July 18, 2011 - Second ultrasound at 9.5 weeks. Baby is doing great!

Feb 10 2012 - Molly Eileen arrived at 7lbs 11oz and 19inches!!!
August 6th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Shannon1978's Avatar ~Formerly Donkey Lemonade
I have actually lost 5 pounds, and I am having twins! I asked my doctor if I should be concerned and he said no! He told me not to worry...I will gain weight soon!
August 7th, 2011, 11:25 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
I wouldn't worry too much as long as the baby is progressing. I tend to believe that the body gains what it needs to. I tell that to those who gain 80 lbs. My friend is a runner and was in tears when she had gained 35lbs by her 4th month. She was tiny to begin with and her body needed that extra bit. Meanwhile, some of the fluffier girls lose weight or stay the same the whole way through. That's what their body needs. I would say try the things on the websites Summer listed, but if your doctor and you are really that worried about it then you might have to reconsider your running plans.

August 7th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Veteran
Well you can have some of mine if you want...I've gained more than enough!

I'm not trying to be flippant, I know you're concerned, but I agree with others that I don't think you need to worry too much just yet. If you're not losing major weight, I think you're doing well and baby will be fine.
August 7th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Super Mommy
I think you should be fine it will start coming on slowly
I'm 14 weeks and havent gained anything yet
August 7th, 2011, 04:43 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Perhaps it's more the running that your doctor is concerned about? Although he would just come out and say if it was wouldn't he. ummmm I agree I wouldn't worry too much if you are eating enough to keep your energy up. If you were ever low on energy and exhausting yourself through running it might not be very good for you and bub? But I honestly wouldn't know, im not a doctor
I have gained a lil bit this time, but my first pregnancy I didnt gain till late 2nd trimester.

August 8th, 2011, 12:36 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
i also haven't gained a thing yet. I'm 11+ weeks and weighed 122.8 this morning (i'm 5'4) and i'm not worried about it at all. I don't think i gained anything in my first tri with my son and i ended up gaining 22 total with him.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
August 8th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Veteran
Thank you all for your support and easing my concerns. I really appreciate your help and opinions!
August 8th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My sister has only gained 15 in 28 weeks. I on the other hand have gained 5 in 12 weeks. We are the same height, but very different body types.

Mommy Pam to 8 other blessings ages 16 to newborn! 5 boys and 3 girls.
For the multiples forum: I have identical twin boys who are 3.

Tags
pregnancy , support , weight

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search