Dying hair while pregnant? Who does and who doesn't?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Bella11356's Avatar Super Mommy
I haven't asked my doctor about this yet, because I haven't seen her. But I researched a little and I've seen things that say yes you can, and no you can't. My hair dresser says you can and that she did with no problems. My best friend the nurse said no....I've just heard a lot of no and a lot of yes. I want to get mine done, but obviously it's not important at all if it might hurt the baby.

What do y'all think?

August 6th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Coby Jaylen Aubriya mom
i got mine highlighted last week, i heard as long as its a well ventilated area its ok.
August 6th, 2011, 01:15 PM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
the book "what to expect when you are expecting" suggests holding off until the 2nd tri and then suggests that highlights are better for baby than dying the whole head.

my friends all got highlights done throughout. for me, tho, my natural color is coming in shinny and I'm having such great prego hair, I might hold off for a long time for highlights.
August 6th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Jaz.MomTo1's Avatar hoping & praying
I actually dyed my hair back to my natural brown roots last week and I was blonde.. so I had to use two boxes.. I just made sure it was ammonia free!! and I stayed around the vent and a fan the time I had to wait before I could rinse.. The DR had actually gave me the okay to BLEACH but I said the hell with that because thats some serious toxics there lol.. I just figured I'd go back to my roots so I would only have to deal with dying my hair one time.. I think it's fine as long as its ammonia free and you can breathe fine without inhaling any fumes.. Good luck!

+
Interracial Love
August 6th, 2011, 01:56 PM
safarilime's Avatar Super Mommy
I keep putting off a appointment to get mine done because i am not sure either. One of my things is to get my hair done lol i have so many colors my roots are about two inches now and its looks horrible but i am nervous about doing it too... my hair dresser said it would be fine and the books i have read said it was fine... i guess the only person to get the okay from is my doctor so i might just do that... three yes's cant be all that bad. right??

August 6th, 2011, 01:58 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good question, my hair is in DESPERATE need of a cut and a colour. I really want to get it done and Ive heard yes and no also. How do you know its going to well ventilated is my problem! I would be getting a half head of foils if I did it, not just highlights. I might ask my midwife when I see her next (which isn't for about 4 weeks unfortunately!) Lemme know if you go ahead and what other people you talk to say.

August 6th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Bella11356's Avatar Super Mommy
I think I'm going to, I will wait a little more into my second trimester though. And after some disasters of my own creation, I go to the salon and I know it's well ventilated there. I do all over color and highlights every time, but this time i may have her do a color wash. the color I get blends into my natural color anyways, and this will help with chemicals sitting on my head for an extended amount of time.

For those who don't know what a color wash is btw, is where you mix color and shampoo and wash your hair with it. You do let it sit for ten or fifteen minutes and it just tints your hair and brightens it. This seems like a happy medium to me for women who want to do it, but are cautious.

August 6th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Super Mommy
Thank you for asking that question!!!
I have been putting it off forever because I have been to scared, but I'm officially in the second trimester now so I think I'm going to go for it my roots are atleast 5 Inch long and I would like to look half decent before starting back at work latter this week
August 6th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Super Mommy
I get it done! My dr always told me "you aren't drinking the dye, so you are good"! lol I just make sure Im in a well ventilated area which I usually get it done at a salon, so that's never an issue. I am only 32 but if I waited to dye my hair for 9 months, I'd be grey....lol

August 6th, 2011, 06:14 PM
.ingrid.'s Avatar TTC #2 on clomid
I didn't at all through first trimester! I'm naturally a sandy blonde & I dye my hair platinum blonde, all over too, not just highlights! So as you can imagine, I'm working some wicked roots right now - but I didn't want to risk it.
Next week, when in second trimester, I'm going to go get it done, but not my usual all over.. Just highlights and I'm going to ask them to avoid my scalp where possible. I'll also go outside to get fresh air quite frequently!
This plan was based on the suggestions given to me by my doctor and hair dresser!

Starting a clomid journey!
August 6th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Shannon1978's Avatar ~Formerly Donkey Lemonade
I have to because of my grey hair. (God blessed me with grey hair starting at the age of 21!!!) I will do it tomorrow, since school start Monday, and once when I am about to give birth.
August 6th, 2011, 07:15 PM
HonestMamma's Avatar Bish!
I wait until the second trimester. The risk of miscarraige or birth defect greatly decreases in the second trimester, and while you aren't drinking the chemicals, they do get absorbed by your skin through your scalp when you get your hair colored. How that will effect you and your baby really depends on how your body processess the chemicals, which can be different for each person. So, to be on the safe side, I would wait until second trimester.

August 6th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ill probably have my friend do my highlights next week
I'm so over do for a haircut

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
August 6th, 2011, 08:02 PM
i just bleached mine yesterday, just be in a well ventilated area and yull be fine!! looking gorgeous is what keeps us happy!!
August 7th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Mom2DyJessAva's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i did mine yesterday!! i waited untill the second trimester! but i heard its okay!

August 7th, 2011, 07:03 AM
marinewife0702's Avatar proud first time mama
I personally am iffy about getting mine done. I had LONGGGG hair and was getting blonde highlights and low lights before i got pregnant but last week i chopped all my hair off to right above my shoulders and it actually looks pretty cool being 2 colors right now.

August 7th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Veteran
I can't, because I developed a very severe allergy to hair dye that left me in bad shape and on prednisone for a long time the last time I did it. But before that, my philosophy when pg was, if there's any question, why risk it? It would probably be fine, but since it was something I really didn't NEED to do, it wasn't worth even a small risk to me. If there was a problem, I wouldn't want to have to question whether it was because of that.
August 8th, 2011, 12:21 PM
ASoldiersLuckyCharm's Avatar Three's A Charm <3
Send a message via ICQ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Yahoo to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Skype™ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm
The only timed i dyed it with my DS my roots came out different that the rest. So I have always gone my stylist too scared of messing up my hair plus it is a little safer.

all graphics made by Jackie at http://cutesypies.livejournal.com/ & http://blushfuls.com/ tell her Judy sent you
August 8th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have never dyed my hair. I have recently found a few white hairs, but because I'm dealing with unknown head pressure, I won't be using anything with chemicals on my head. I'm very picky about my shampoo as well.

Mommy Pam to 8 other blessings ages 16 to newborn! 5 boys and 3 girls.
For the multiples forum: I have identical twin boys who are 3.
August 8th, 2011, 01:53 PM
RhiettaP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've always colored my hair through out my pregnancies.....just did my roots last week. I've even had my hair permed while pregnant (I think I'm one of only a handful of women under the age of 75 that still perm their hair...lol...).

I just make sure I'm in a well ventilated area when coloring (I do my own color).

William 11.06.03
Ethan 7.3.08
Liam Ryan 2.17.12
Rowan Oliver 6.19.14

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search