Seriously frustrated

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2011, 12:39 PM
akicequeen02's Avatar Super Mommy
Ok so I am in the middle of transferring my care from my OB (who has helped with fertility treatment for a few years) to the midwifery. One would think that this should be fine, no major issues just transfer and start at new place happy-go-lucky right?

No. So long story. When I first got my BFP my OB freaked out that my progesterone was 12.7 (which I have now learned was a fine number). I was already on suppositories and she started me on a once a week progesterone shot. The suppositories were discontinued at 10 weeks but shots have continued per my OB due to my SCH and she "does not want my uterus to contract." Well news to me that this is not the typical protocol for SCH. I also just found out that this progesterone is the hydroxyprogesterone that is actually used for people in or who have a history of pre-term labour. It is usually STARTED around 17 weeks. So we have been waiting for a couple days for progesterone blood work to come back. Finally came back this morning as 17.4. Well at first it seemed low to me (because OB told me it needs to be like 30) but midwife said low normal would be 15 so my number is fine. But to be on safe side do suppositories 1x day and will do shot on Monday. Also since shot has already been started apparently protocol is to continue it until 20 weeks.

Just really irritated with the whole situation. I feel like my OB has been freaking out for what now seems like no reason and I now stuck taking these medications because she is/was treating me as high risk when I have no reason to be.

I know all that matters is baby is safe and healthy but UGH. Just too much. Things should not be this hard.

Tiffany
August 6th, 2011, 03:11 PM
katylady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
sorry it's so rough right now. Hopefully your midwife can be more help to you and maybe a little saner than your OB sounds like.
August 6th, 2011, 03:45 PM
n8tsmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
I am sorry that you got stuck on the shots for no reason I get them 3 times a week and they are no fun. Can your midwifery just take over the progesterone therapy? Sounds like your OB is trying to be over cautious and that would annoy me. Have they been doing weekly labs or is this the first one? I can't understand why they put you on the wrong kind of progesterone unless they figured that one stops preterm labor so maybe it would keep you from contractions better overall I would be mad.

August 6th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
Idk about this in particular but I know low progesterone is a big factor in MC.
I've had several placental separations due to it which caused preterm labor at 24 weeks (baby passed away since it was born too early) and another separation w dd5 which resulted in 2 months bedrest.

I don't think the extra prog can really hurt you. It's more or less just helping to get placenta strong and keep it all attached. I HATED doing the suppository. I did them for 12 weeks. And my dr said he wasn't "sure" they were necessary but he rather be safe than sorry since it's easier to take it than to fix a separation or lose the pregnancy.

Anyway. I'm sorry you have been through all that. I know it sucks. But maybe the extra doses will help make sure your little one makes a safe arrival.
I know it's got to be hard.

If it makes you feel any better, I've read a lot of stories on here about women with doctors who aren't careful or caring enough. That seems to be a big issue for a lot of women.

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

August 6th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Oh. Btw. What I have been told is the time for biggest risk to placenta is between 10 and 12 weeks. My dr said if I hadn't had a problem by then, I likely wouldn't.
So since your past 12 weeks you're probably past the danger zone anyway.
But he did mention some possible issues with withdrawals from the prog if you abruptly stop it. Maybe that's why they continue until week 20? Idk.

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

August 6th, 2011, 05:13 PM
akicequeen02's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for the responses ladies. I am frustrated and mad.

n8tsmomma- My OB has not been doing weekly draws to check my progesterone. As a matter of fact the first draw I have had since 6 weeks was this week by my midwife. The midwife is going to take over because i don't want to go back to the OB at all at this point. She didn't really put me on the "wrong" progesterone. She did want it for my uterus not to contract- she was assuming it would because of the SCH. But no one else has ever heard of this protocol for treating SCH. There are others on this board with larger bleeds then mine and not on this treatment.

KJM- I do realize the progesterone is important. They didn't really say why staying on until 20 weeks just that it is the protocol.

I just feel like it took me so long to get pregnant and then this woman has decided that she is going to freak me out with everything. I feel like all of her treatment until now (just transferred care this week) has been to keep me scared to death and now I am through my first trimester trying to maybe have a good experience with this pregnancy but stuck with her freak out protocols because the midwifes mostly are afraid to change anything as they are concerned for my emotional well being.

I should also mention my husband is out of the country right now and not really able to communicate by phone or other. So they are more concerned about me at this point in time.

Tiffany
August 6th, 2011, 05:23 PM
It sounds like your midwives are on top of everything. That should be a little reassuring.

I was quite bothered that my dr didn't continue to check my prog levels either and I found it odd.
When I questioned him about it, he said since I was on the suppository, the reading on the teat wouldn't be "accurate" anyway. He seemed like yours in that they just keep using it to get the benefit in case it's needed.

The suppository was a royal pain. It got to where I'd bleed after dtd bc the prog makes the cervix sensitive to dtd. And the leaking "stuff" from the suppository?? Messy!
Not to mention the cost. My ins didn't cover mine.

I totally feel your frustration. How often do they do US for checking your SCH?

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

August 6th, 2011, 06:08 PM
HonestMamma's Avatar Bish!
Tiffany- I am so sorry you have been so frustrated! I know how hard it is when you go with your doctor's advice and find out later that their suggestions may not have been in your best interests!

Hopefully, things will settle down once you start with your midwife. I adored my midwife with my last baby. And, if you feel the need to vent about taking shots, you've come to the right place!

August 6th, 2011, 07:28 PM
NortheastWifey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh gosh! That is super frustrating! I'm sorry! I hope it all gets worked out soon so you can switch to the midwives. KUP!

Hollie
August 7th, 2011, 10:31 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
It sounds like the switch to a midwife is exactly what you need if you and your seemingly over-zealous OB don't see eye to eye. The worst thing would be to get to the end and then disagree on the interventions you are comfortable with. Stay strong and I hope this midwife get you the support you need!

August 7th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Veteran
That sucks! At least no major damage was done. It sounds like you made a good choice going with the midwife.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search