Fight with Dr over dehydration

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Veteran
Ok so I call doc this morning have been dehydrated most of this pregnancy but especially bad this week since I have been out sweating, hoping he could get me a fluid iv. I told him that I just have trouble drinking enough, due to just feeling bad/feeling like water just sits in my stomach, ect. Tried to explain that I have been throwing up but not frequently and only when I have previously drank less than usual. He is trying to say I'm dehydrated from throwing up and said as long as I am peeing I'm not dehydrated and I prob just needed nausea medicine. He seemed really against the iv and said that could have problems within itself. Well hello I think know my body pretty well and I have just not been drinking enough! For me the dehydration is happening first then the puking. Not the other way around. So he sends me to hospital to do urine dehydration test, I wait an hour to pee in the cup, lab had not received an order saying what to test the urine for so I pee then they send me home more dehydrated than ever. So frustrating! I feel like if I could just get a jumpstart I would feel much better. I feel like an iv is a pretty common thing right?
August 7th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Super Mommy
Not sure, try drinking some other fluid other than plain water
August 7th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
I had hyperemesis early on.
I threw up EVERYTHING I drank or ate.
They suggested watered down Gatorade for me. I still threw it up at first.
Went to ER. Got 2 bags of fluids and an iv dose of zofram.
After that I started drinking gatorade again and kept it down.
It wasn't a week after that , that all my sickness went away.
I definitely think the iv fluids help jump you back to normal.
Two pregnancies have been this way for me. W dd5 I waited too late and ended up in the hospital for a week in nothing BUT fluids.

Maybe for today get some Gatorade and half it with water. DONT get it too cold. I found that extreme cold caused my stomach to spasm.
I'd do a slightly chilled half water/Gatorade.

Pretzel stick might help too. They have salt. Some reason I could drink more after eating stuff like that.

Sorry for long winded typing. I'm bored and mad at dh today. Lol

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

August 7th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Veteran
I try to drink other stuff like tea, vitamin water, juice, occasionally an ice filled coke, ect. I just don't want to drink too much of that due to too much sugar. Having to eat all the time has definitely put a damper on it, eating and then trying to drink a bunch just makes my food sit there even longer, yech
August 7th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Kitusne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
frequent IVs are obviously not great for your veins, but from research I have done I have found no risk of a saline IV. I don't really know about the one where they add stuff to the water, however.

I find that when I get too sick to drink water I can drink a sip or so at a time if I stagger them. Granted, not the best way to get fluids, but better than nothing.
August 7th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Veteran
Funny you should talk about it not being too cold, before I was pregnant never drank anything cold, now it has to be ice cold for me to get it down!

It's just so frustrating feeling bad when I know I don't have to, just give me the **** iv already!
August 7th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
Im so sorry hun that you are going through this, try and drink lots of small sips I would maybe go back to the hospital and make them check you they can check for dehydration many ways

All they have to do is look at my tongue and they can tell I am dehydrated, I have had sever Hyperemesis Gravidarum through all 4 of my pregnancies I have to take zofran from 6wks till delivery to keep me out of the hospital, I was very bad with DD#2 I ended up in the hospital for 5mo so they gave me fluid and nutrients, with DD#3 I drank a lot of gatorade and pedialyte and I find drinking small amounts and eating things high in liquid helped me with this baby and I live off gatorade this time too

I hope it gets better for you
5 time HG survivor, AP Mama to 5 GIRLS
Karrara 9 01/11/05, Kaiah 7 1/2 07/1/06,
Kayda 6 01/12/08, Katara 2 02/10/12
Korra 10/10/13
August 7th, 2011, 10:12 AM
jaelin's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieK View Post
Funny you should talk about it not being too cold, before I was pregnant never drank anything cold, now it has to be ice cold for me to get it down!
Me too! Ice cold gatorade, icees, smoothies, and ice cubes have been a major part of my diet lately.
Mars (9 months
)

missing my 2 angels

"Every person in the world has passed through the body of a woman..."

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...77625732258607
August 7th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
When my fluids got low, I automatically went to the ER, and just told them I was throwing up a ton and needed fluids. It's not hard so the ER here never minds poking me and sending me on my way. You might just go around your doctor and do that.

I also don't drink much strait water. Lots of juice or sports drinks here.
August 7th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
I love my stuff to be ice cold now that I'm not sick anymore.
And I have a major addiction to chewing and crunching ice. Lol.
But when I was so sick, any extreme temps in my stomach caused a war.
I couldn't eat hot food either. I needed it room temp.

Anyone else love sonics ice?? Maybe you could try crunching that small ice!!
It's a good way to hydrate yourself and its small enough amounts that shouldn't weigh heavy on your stomach.

You might aggravate your friends and family with all the chewing and crunching but oh well...lol

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

August 7th, 2011, 12:03 PM
gingerrae's Avatar Regular
I know that in my first couple pregnancies I couldn't drink water I hate drinking water. So I would fill a cup with crushed ice and soda I would drink the soda but I would also eat the ice that way I was getting water that's the only way I could get enough fluids in me to not get dehydrated.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search