Ultrasounds standard at appt?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Bella11356's Avatar Super Mommy
I have my first appt on tuesday, and I'm worried they aren't going to do an u/s. I don't what to have to schedule it and go back. I'm nervous enough as it is and will almost be 15 weeks at that point. How has this gone for everyone else? I'm obviously a first time mom and just not to sure how this stuff works.

August 7th, 2011, 07:51 PM
MomTo3LittleBoys's Avatar Love my house of boys!
My office only does ultrasounds at 20 and 36 weeks. I did get an 6 & 8 week scan this time bc it was twins. But my first pregnancy I didn't get the early scans.

August 7th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Super Mommy
Well with my doctor they schedule them, and you go to a separate area for imaging. I'm sure it's different everywhere
August 7th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I usually only get a 20 week one, but because we needed to know more exact dates and I was desperate to find out how many were in there (I already have a set of twins), the Dr. scheduled an earlier one for me at 12 weeks. We need to know exact dates in case I attempt a VBA2C. I hope all goes well at your first appointment. I didn't go in with my 4th child until I was 18 weeks along. Then I got his gender scan a couple weeks after that.

Mommy Pam to 8 other blessings ages 16 to newborn! 5 boys and 3 girls.
For the multiples forum: I have identical twin boys who are 3.
August 7th, 2011, 08:42 PM
akicequeen02's Avatar Super Mommy
Mine has to be scheduled differently at a different location. I am sure they will use doppler but don't think it is routine for first appointment to also have u/s. They may want a u/s to be scheduled quickly if you are not sure on your dates.

Tiffany
August 7th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I got one my first appt bc I was high risk and had the iud but its not standard. U should call ur doctor.

Ashley how did they know it was twins before doing an ultrasound?

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
August 7th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Super Mommy
Mine was high risk as well and I had no clue on the dates. If you want one dont be afraid to ask! My doctor will order one for me whenever I want, so as long as you can afford it, why not?
August 7th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Bella11356's Avatar Super Mommy
Yeah I will ask. My boyfriend was born with holes in his heart, and had to have open heart surgery as a baby. On top of worrying in general, I worry this baby will have the same.

August 8th, 2011, 03:42 AM
cp83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My old office did one, it wasn't scheduled, my doc just asked if I wanted to see the baby and of course I said yes.

The new office I am going to only does them if you have risk factors or the potential for twins, which we do, since my husband is a twin. My appointment is Tuesday as well, I will be curious to find out if I get one or not!

August 8th, 2011, 05:05 AM
HonestMamma's Avatar Bish!
With my first baby, they only did a 20 week ultrasound. That's it.

I have them at 12 and at 20 weeks now because of my age, and I don't expect to have any others (unless there is a problem). However, for most of my ultrasounds, I did have to schedule them at a different facility. Unless you live in a small town or are going to a high-risk doctor, most ob/gyns don't have ultrsounds in their offices.

August 8th, 2011, 05:11 AM
marinewife0702's Avatar proud first time mama
For me, my first visit was a ton of questions about my husband and I, pee in a cup, blood draw, ultrasound and sit and wait for the doctor for 2 hours to tell you everything is fine and I can leave lol. I have been going once a month since when and I get an ultra sound every time (only have had 2 so far). If I go in just for feminine issues they do a doppler on the baby for HB. Make sure you ask for some of your own, they didn't give me any the first ultrasound and I was so upset!!

August 8th, 2011, 07:13 AM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
pretty sure i'll have one this time b/c i'm not exactly sure on dates but i'm thinking i'll be 12w4d. Its my first appt. Then i'll have an anatomy scan at 20 weeks and prob won't have another one unless there's a medical reason.

With tyler we had lots, one at 8, one at 12 for NT, one at 15 for gender (elective) 17 (repeat elective), 20 anatomy scan, 30 for growth, 30 (3D elective), 33 for growth, 35 for growth, 36 for growth and 37 too i think.... he was born at 38w5d and i had twice weekly nsts the last 2 weeks.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
August 8th, 2011, 07:17 AM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
I had one at my first two appointments, but I think that was only for my peace of mind since my last pregnancy was a m/c. I haven't had one since 8 weeks, and won't have another until 22 weeks. But it certainly won't hurt to ask!
August 8th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Super Mommy
All of the young mommies I know got 3 ultrasounds during their pregnancy. I think it's the norm here in my province. One is between 10-12 weeks for setting a EDD and N/T. The second one is set around 20 weeks and the last one is around the 34th week.
However, after researching the Internet, I found out that not all 3 u/s are mandatory. It depends on your doctor I guess.

August 8th, 2011, 08:54 AM
MomTo3LittleBoys's Avatar Love my house of boys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNiSe View Post
I got one my first appt bc I was high risk and had the iud but its not standard. U should call ur doctor.

Ashley how did they know it was twins before doing an ultrasound?
I had my friend scan me at 5 wks 4 days and there were two sacs :-)

August 8th, 2011, 10:45 AM
ASoldiersLuckyCharm's Avatar Three's A Charm <3
Send a message via ICQ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Yahoo to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Skype™ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm
With my DS in a civilian doctor I didn't go in till 16 weeks due to Tricare dragging their feet. I didn't get an ultrasound till 20 weeks then 36 due to the ultrasound tech telling me I looked like I was going to have partial previa which and Ultrasound Tech isn't suppose to say a word till the doctor looks. So I got to see my DS twice. With my DD in military hospital I had to wait till 20 weeks.I ended up in the ER after having sex with DH I started bleeding bright red and horrible cramps. The doctor tried to find heart beat and couldn't so he said I probably had a tilted uterus. They wanted to double check and we got to see our DD for the first time around 13 week.s But a lot of my friends who had issues with previous pregnancies got to have an ultrasound ever few weeks to check out and make sure things were ok. I wish all of us could get lucky and get to see baby early :-) I'm dying to see our little bean.

all graphics made by Jackie at http://cutesypies.livejournal.com/ & http://blushfuls.com/ tell her Judy sent you
August 8th, 2011, 02:47 PM
mommy2kenzie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With DD, I had one at 12 weeks since I was having cramping and didn't get another one until 20 weeks. However, after I was diagnosed with GD, I had to go 2x a week for non-stress tests and you get an u/s everytime. This was very costly for us... And then they did the 36 week growth u/s that measures the baby's weight and everything.

This time I had one at 5 weeks since I wasn't sure of my cycles after having my iud removed. They couldn't get an edd then so they had me come back at 8 weeks for a dating u/s. I opted out of the nt scan and won't get another u/s until 20 weeks. Then most likely the 36 week one. Just praying I don't get GD this time!

siggy by Jaidynsmum
August 8th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Super Mommy
Where I live all the ultrasounds are done at the hospital and if you have no reason to believe there are any risks you get one around the 20 week mark, mine is at 18 weeks.
August 8th, 2011, 04:19 PM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just asked for one so they sent me. They stated the purpose as "dating" so that insurance will cover it. I love my dr's office. I will also be opting for the NT scan and then the regular anatomy scan. I'm sure I'll have extras, too, because we have 2 baking.

August 8th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Super Mommy
It depends on the doctor and your pregnancy and previous pregnancies (if any). With DD, we had 2 ultrasounds. One to date the pregnancy, then the other one at about 20 weeks to find out the gender.

With this pregnancy, my doctor treats every pregnancy as normal unless there is cause for concern. I had my 1st visit with her about 4 weeks ago and asked if I was going to have an ultrasound and she said she won't do one until 18-20 weeks if there are no risks or complications. The fact that I had a miscarriage about 15 years ago doesn't make this pregnancy risky so I don't get one for a while still.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search