Overwhelmed ...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2011, 11:51 PM
NewStar's Avatar Veteran
We went shopping last night to budget all the big baby bits, we are moving in 1 month and buying a new "baby" car also so thought it a good idea to know how much from the sale we need to put by.

O.M.G ---- I cant believe how many things for a new born baby we need, I knew it was alot but when you are first timers and have no idea what half of the things do ... for example DH picks up a thermal flask and says "why would the baby need this or is it for you when you need a coffee on the run etc?" .... Then with myself Im quietly thinking "Why is there a clear type bag in the nappy changer" ... DOH!

In just 5months and 3weeks lil one could be here and I feel really unprepared with my knowledge.

Can anyone reccomend a new born item list I could follow ?

Give me a foal/puppies/kittens/lamb and I could tell you everything you need ... give me a baby ... UMMMM ?

August 8th, 2011, 12:24 AM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hehe Yes it is overwhelming. I will try to compile a list of absolute essentials that I think a newborn needs...

nappies, wipes, barrier cream

Carseat

crib/bassinet

pram/stroller

clothes- lots of singlets! warm booties, hat, warm jumpers, scratch mittens

bottles (just in case bf doesnt work)... remember newborn teats!

bottle steriliser

Formula (if not breast feeding)

wraps/blankets Merino is great for warmth and coolness (it breathes really well)

burp cloths

bibs

Diaper bag (in my opinion it really doesn't have to be a fancy one, the clear bag thing can easily be replaced with ordinary plastic bags. The waterproof change mat is very useful though! Can buy disposable ones of them at the supermarket also) I liked our diaper bag having a cooler bag pocket to keep formula mixture cold when we went out.

Baby monitor

Baby bath, baby shampoo and wash, hooded towels (at least 2), baby hairbrush

O.K well thats all the ABSOLUTE essentials that I think you need. Anything else would be really useful and handy but not completey essential. That list would include things such as...

a pack n play
a bouncer
toys/books
comforter
a swing chair (they are awweesoome!)
Formula bottle heater/thermal thingy

O.K there will be more that I have missed, i will edit if I think of anything else. Im sure others have probably posted a list by now also.

Yay fun times!

August 8th, 2011, 05:08 AM
marinewife0702's Avatar proud first time mama
If you have a babies r us near you i know they have a list you can follow when you register. I, personally, am bringing my mom with me to register/make purchases because she has experience and I CERTAINLY don't lol.

August 8th, 2011, 05:15 AM
HonestMamma's Avatar Bish!
If you are working on a budget, don't forget that you can get a lot of used baby items for less.

Personally, the one thing I would always purchase new is car seat- for safety reasons. You never know if a used car sear has been in an accident already or if itis past it's expiration date.

Other than that, you can get gently used baby bouncers, high chairs, clothes, etc. for less than you would pay brand new.

August 8th, 2011, 09:00 AM
jen44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I second Mel, go used on big items if you can! Those things are so expensive and you use them for such a short amount of time!

Chloe - 6/18/09
Eli - 2/13/12
August 8th, 2011, 10:39 AM
ASoldiersLuckyCharm's Avatar Three's A Charm <3
Send a message via ICQ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Yahoo to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Skype™ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm
I agree with Mel you can really go cheap for having baby with car seat ,crib stroller ,bouncy seat/ swing , clothes , diapers, baby whips, bottles if you formula feed or end up pumping, baby bath , powder , pack and play if you travel a lot I used it to let my babies sleep outside and get fresh air..

all graphics made by Jackie at http://cutesypies.livejournal.com/ & http://blushfuls.com/ tell her Judy sent you
August 8th, 2011, 11:13 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
Also, don't forget that people will probably buy you some of the bigger items, or at least enough of the smaller items to save you enough money in the first few months to allow you to purchase the things you need. I know it's overwhelming, but it'll all get done in time! You have plenty of time to watch for good deals and make sure that you have what you need.

August 8th, 2011, 01:33 PM
.ingrid.'s Avatar TTC #2 on clomid
I'm going to go used items as well.. But the things I want brand new are a car seat & capsule for the same reasons posted above! And a new cot mattress.. If you don't know the person that gave/sold you the cot personally.. It's just a risk I wouldn't take. You wouldn't know if they were smokers, had animals ect.

Starting a clomid journey!
August 8th, 2011, 01:35 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes New carseat and mattress!

August 8th, 2011, 02:55 PM
mommy2kenzie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will be searching thrift stores, craigslist, etc for a lot of the items I will need, esp clothes if baby is a boy. You can't always buy everything new with a tight budget and I have no interest in buying anything I know I won't need. I was so upset when I realized all the silly stuff I bought and I never even needed to use it. So my advice is buy wisely!

siggy by Jaidynsmum
August 9th, 2011, 12:26 AM
NewStar's Avatar Veteran
Thanks everyone for your input , and Sarah_19_NZ for your great list!
I dont think DH is to keen on buying anything 2nd hand but I am still looking at strollers and great bargains on ebay Afterall all it helps in saving for all the high school fees in the future !

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search