Making a check list

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 8th, 2011, 12:33 PM
safarilime's Avatar Super Mommy
So as a first time mom i have no idea on what i will need and things i will never use. I went to baby R us and looked around and they have so much stuff that i hardly think i will need all of it.. so i hopeing that we could start listing something that you should really have so i can start collecting stuff here and there so i dont have to get everything at once.

Thing i know i will need:
Dipers
wipes
burp rags
bottles
baby lotion
baby powder

If you could add things that would be great!

August 8th, 2011, 12:52 PM
marinewife0702's Avatar proud first time mama
This is my list:

Crib/ Changing table
Crib Mattress
Dresser
Pack and Play
Pack and Play Mattress
Glider
Bedding
Breathable Bumper
Mattress Pads
Receiving Blankets
Sheet Savers
Changing Table Pad
Mobile
Changing Table Pad Covers
Diaper Geanie
Pampers
Pampers Sensitive Wipes
Wipe Warmer
Diaper Rash Cream
Baby Monitor
Travel Mirror
Car Seat/Stroller combo
Infant Car Seat Head Support
Infant Car Seat Body Support
Infant Car Seat Neck Wings
Additional Car Seat Base
Sun Shades
Car Seat Toys
Stroller Rain Cover
Stroller Sunshade
Stroller Toys
Swing
Jumper
Tummy Time Play Mat
Bouncer
High chair
High Chair Mat
Books
DVDs
CDs
Breast Pump
Nursing Pillow
Bibs
Burp Cloths
Breast Feeding Bottles
Breast Milk Inserts
Bottle Sterilizer
Bottle Drying Rack
Bottle Brush
Bottle Tote
Pacifiers
Pacifier Holder
Disposable Bibs
Teethers
Nail Clippers
Brush
Thermometer
First Aid Kit
Gas Relief Drops
Pain Relief Products
Bath Tub
Bath Robe
Bath Towels
Wash Cloths
Body Wash
Shampoo
Lotion
Oil

August 8th, 2011, 02:03 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinewife0702 View Post
This is my list:
WOW your list has ALL the bells and whistles!

I made a more conservative list on another post yesterday, I just included absolute necessaries with a few 'things that would be great'

I just reaslised it was a STUPID idea quoting that list! hahah

August 8th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I literally just copied and pasted the list my mom and I came up with lol. Figured it may help someone out!!

August 8th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Super Mommy
To be honest as a BTDT mom (granted I am pretty frugal/practical) I think alot of the stuff that we all think we "just have to have" is completely unnecessary. I'm definitely not trying to start a great debate or upset anyone, because I had the big list with my first. But honestly you'll find a lot of it really doesn't get used often enough to justify the cost.

Just a few things that I would not do without again:

Baby monitor (got mine at walmart for $30)
baby nail clippers (impossible to use the adult ones)
nose sucker (idk the actual name but used ours alot)
wipes warmer (with a winter baby this was great)

I'm sure there are more essentials but those are my have to's.

Coming soon...... Linkin Archer
August 8th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiesmom View Post
To be honest as a BTDT mom (granted I am pretty frugal/practical) I think alot of the stuff that we all think we "just have to have" is completely unnecessary. I'm definitely not trying to start a great debate or upset anyone, because I had the big list with my first. But honestly you'll find a lot of it really doesn't get used often enough to justify the cost.

Just a few things that I would not do without again:

Baby monitor (got mine at walmart for $30)
baby nail clippers (impossible to use the adult ones)
nose sucker (idk the actual name but used ours alot)
wipes warmer (with a winter baby this was great)

I'm sure there are more essentials but those are my have to's.
No debating that, 2nd + moms know wayyy more than I know about what we need or don't need. Since there really isnt a baby store near me (about 45+ minutes away) would rather be safe than sorry with my list. Mostly copied and pasted the list from babies r u though lol.

August 8th, 2011, 06:25 PM
safarilime's Avatar Super Mommy
wow thanks alot ladies!!!

August 9th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Some non-essential things that I found myself very happy to have were

a diaper caddy (for storing all of your dipes, wipes, cream, etc., easy to take from room to room. Easy to take for a trip. Just a nice thing to have.)

a wrap/sling/carrier...wonderful for soothing baby, continuing to cuddle while getting things done, keeping baby snug and warm during family gatherings...just wonderful. I loved my Moby wrap!

bouncy seat...this was a life saver when it came time to shower. Both of my kids were happily entertained and safely contained by the bouncy seat long enough for me to get a nice, hot shower each morning. Life saver.

Baby floor/activity gym...wonderful for stimulation, and most are also made for tummy time stimulation. I found that I used this a ton with both of my babies. I don't really think that a seperate tummy time mat is necessary. I was given one, but rarely bothered with it, as the activity mat had that covered.

a Bumbo seat...both of my kids liked being able to sit in this earlier than they could truly sit unassisted and play upright. With the attachable tray, it was very handy for on the go feedings, also.

Bundle Me swaddler...Only thing that kept my wiggly babies swaddled and cozy at night. Easy to use, easy access to diapers, also.

Nursing covers.

Things that I felt I didn't use or could live without

wipes warmer. Never used one. Neither of my babies ever had any problem with room temperature wipes.

Carseat inserts...Most infant carseats come with enough head/neck support for itty-bitties. (I should mention, though, that my babes were both big and maybe stronger/sturdier than most at birth. But I found the carseat provided more than adequate support.)

An additional sunshade for the stoller. The provided shades on the carseat and infant seat combined provide a lot of sun protection. If I ever felt the need for more, I simply would have used a light blanket.

Bottle warmer...Mind you, I exclusively breastfeed, but on the rare occassions that we did give the babies breastmilk from bottles, it was just as easy and effective to warm it by submerging it in warm water.

I do think, though, that when it comes to non-essentials, it is more a preference of the mother and family, and very dependent on your individual lifestyle, needs, etc. Maybe start with the basics and add on the fun extras in the order that they most appeal to you personally.

Thank you so much Kris2you for my lovely siggy!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search