car seats

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 8th, 2011, 12:47 PM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
Educate me BTDT moms.
Do I need a 0-30 lb car seat and then to buy another one for when baby weighs 30+?
DH and I looked on Sunday and it seemed like you can't just buy one car seat that adapts as baby grows to toddler. How long till baby is 30+ lbs?

And, do you just buy one car seat and several bases? I'm thinking we'll need two (one for each car) and one for grandma, who will hopefully be our daycare provider. Is that realistic?
August 8th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Super Mommy
I would buy one infant seat with several bases (although the bases are for convenience and you can use the seat without a base). As far as a smaller one vs. bigger one, a lot of people buy just a bigger convertable seat that goes from 5-100 lbs one seat the whole time. I prefer to buy them in stages. Personally it's just easier to take the infant seat into the store with me and set it in the cart vs using one of the preattached dirty seats in the shopping carts. Just my opinion. I know a lot of people who have the convertable seats and love them.

Coming soon...... Linkin Archer
August 8th, 2011, 02:57 PM
marinewife0702's Avatar proud first time mama
Im not a BTDT mom but i do have a bunch of friends with 2 and under children. I know with them, they bought a infant car seat and traded it in for a "big boy racey car seat" as my little brother called it aka. a toddler seat when they were too big for the infant seat. Im just getting the one that matches the stroller and going to get another base for my husbands car. My dad is a retired cop and already told me he "will not have his grandbaby drive in a car without a PD installed base." Lord help me lol.

August 8th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Capns Girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It really is a matter of choice. I loved, and I really mean LOVED my carrier carseat. It was easy to install and because my baby was on the smaller side it lasted until she was 17 months old. I'm planning on using it with this baby too. Mine is a Chicco Keyfit30. Extra bases for any carseat can get pricey. I would suggest getting them if you plan on switching vehicles ALOT. One of the reasons I loved my Chicco was the base was extremely easy to switch around when using the LATCH system. It took about 2 minutes to take out of one car and get it placed in the other.

August 8th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Super Mommy
We have had the infant seat and then change up to a convertible 5 pt harness seat. With DS we put him in it rear facing around 7 months and with dd she was in the infant seat until 15 months. We plan on using the infant seat at least until summer with this one. It's so convenient to have the infant one to keep the lo snuggled up when going from vehicle to inside. We only have ever had 1 base and just buckled in w/o for the other times.

August 8th, 2011, 04:41 PM
~Nik*Re~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With Marienah I bought the Chicco Keyfit 30 then around 18 months bought a Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL.
With this baby I'm just going to buy another Sunshine. Since we baby wear a lot I don't need to take an infant carrier in the store or anything.

Check out my FB page for cute Boutique Stuff for Boys and Girls

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search