I reckon I have Interstitial Cystitis... anyone else have it?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 8th, 2011, 07:54 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So last pregnancy at about the 2nd trimester mark I started getting Urinary Tract symptoms, but testing showed NO urinary infection. I was given antibiotics anyway and it may or may not have really worked. Anyway my Ob/Gyn at the time suggested it could POSSIBLY be I.C and told me he could refer me to a urologist so they can blow up my bladder and have a look OR to wait and see how things go, perhaps see about it when I'm not pregnant.

Anyway things settled down then flared up maybe twice more and that was that. So I forgot about it and went on with life. Occasionally (after I was done being pregnant) at the start of every period I got these same symptoms... being like a painful ache in my pubic bone area, urgency and frequency to pee but not much produced when I go, pain on emptying bladder, painful sex SO SORRY if TMI!!! These symptoms though annoying were tolerable and I knew they only lasted a day or 3 so I put up with it and forgot all about the fact it was suggested it could be IC.

Now today... it has flared back up! I went to the park with DD, and the familiar ache in the pubic bone started up, little bit of lower pelvic pain, then the needing to go pee even though I had only just been. After researching it a bit online today I read that some women have bad flare ups at the start of each period and during pregnancy! Hmmmmm curious!

ANyway, I really wanted to know if any other ladies in this DDC have IC? or think they might have it?and if so what are your symptoms and how do you relieve them or cope?

Thanks and sorry that this is long and that most of you won't want to hear about this ridiculous theory of mine regarding my health! haha Sorry!

August 8th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
sounds painful
Hope u get some relief soon

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
August 8th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
I dot have this but wanted to say I am so sorry that sounds like it sucks I hope you can find some relief for it
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 1 10/10/13

August 9th, 2011, 06:03 AM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
I have it. I feel your pain.
You have to make some adjustments.

Carbonated drinks make for terrible terrible flare ups. So does caffiene.
Acid in things like tomatoes. I'll look for a link for things to avoid and post it when I get to work.
The only thing that helps me through flare ups is AZO standard. I get the generic brand. It's safe during pregnancy.
Warm baths help when it's really bad.

It could also be stones. I notice my flare ups are badddd when I am about to pass a stone.

I'd recommend you wait until you deliver to go for those tests. Maybe a few months after. They were very stressful for me and I can't imagine doing them while pregnant. They also cause a flare up. A catheter at all will cause you unbelievable pain and flare up.

This will sound gross. But it always feels good.
If I have a SEVERE flare up, I take an AZO standard and get in a pretty warm bath. I usually pee there in the tub as i feel the need and idk if it's the warm water getting into something but it helps a TON. (I shower after).
Got this idea from a friend who was told (from a dr) to drink a 12 pack of beer and get in a hot tub and pee to try and help pass a kidney stone.

I've got all sorts of ideas to help. I've had this since I was 3 due to a bladder surgery.
I'll pm u some info when I get to a computer.

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

August 9th, 2011, 06:10 AM
aogilvie's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm not sure that I have this, but I'm pretty sure I have a UTI right now. I'm going to talk to my doc today after our NT scan. I mostly am having pain when eliminating my bladder as well, and have trouble eliminating completely.
TTC #1 with Endometriosis & Antiphospholipid Syndrome since December 2008
Dec 2008 - April 2010 #17 Natural cycles
May 2010 - IUI + clomid 50mg BFN
June 2010 - IUI + clomid 50mg BFN
July 2010 - IUI + clomid 100mg BFN
Sept/OC 2010 - IVF #1 (1 embryo transfered; none to freeze) BFP!!!
Oct 25 2010 - First ultrasound at 6.5 weeks TWO HEARTBEATS!!! The embryo split; we're having identical twins!!!
Nov 30 2010 - Ultrasound at 11 weeks; no heartbeats & no growth past 9 weeks
Dec 2 - D&C#1
Dec 7 2010 - D&C#2
Dec 22 2010 through current - Weekly acupuncture treatment
May/June 2011 - IVF#2 with acupuncture (1 embryo transferred; 4 embies on ice!!!) BFP!!!
June 29 2011 - First ultrasound at 7.0 weeks. Everything looks great so far!

July 18, 2011 - Second ultrasound at 9.5 weeks. Baby is doing great!

Feb 10 2012 - Molly Eileen arrived at 7lbs 11oz and 19inches!!!
August 9th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
Diet modification

Some patients find that changes in their diet can help control symptoms. The idea is to avoid foods and beverages that can cause bladder irritation. Below are some of the foods that the Interstitial Cystitis Association says may cause bladder irritation.

•Aged cheeses

•Alcohol

•Artificial sweeteners

•Chocolate

•Citrus juices

•Coffee

•Cranberry juice (Note: Although cranberry juice is often recommended for urinary tract infections, it can make IC symptoms worse.)

•Fava and lima beans

•Meats that are cured, processed, smoked, canned, aged, or that contain nitrites

•Most fruits except blueberries, honeydew melon, and pears

•Nuts except almonds, cashews, and pine nuts

•Onions

•Rye bread

•Seasonings that contain MSG

•Sour cream

•Sourdough bread

•Soy

•Tea

•Tofu

•Tomatoes

•Yogurt

Experts suggest that you do not stop eating all of these foods at one time. Instead, try eliminating one at a time to see if that helps relieve your symptoms.
---------
Ok. Thats just a starter list. It is likely that there is something in particular that you are ingesting that is causing your flare ups. Like for me it's coke. If i drink a regular coke I can bet money that I will have a flare up. You basically have to think about everything you have eaten and drank the past few days before a flare up. If you notice it happens a lot with tomatoes, avoid tomatoes and see what happens. I'd recommend cutting carbonation all the way as that is one of the biggest triggers. I have had •Bladder hydrodistention (over-filling the bladder with fluid while under general anesthesia)

and that does help for about 6 months. But it's not something you want to have to do freuquently. It can be dangerous if they accidently fill your bladder too much (its rare) but it can burst your bladder and you have to use a bag for the rest of your life.
It's much easier to figure out what foods/drinks cause it and avoid them.

Oddly...for me...when I am pregnant I have almost NO symptoms. Its after i have the baby that i get severe flare ups and a few stones to pass. I did have one flare up over the weekend. I gave in to temptation and had a coke and a bunch of chocolate and it really jacked me up. I had to stop everything and get AZO standard and go to bed.

So my advice right now is to sit and think if you can come up with an idea of what you have ingested near all the times it's flared up. And also get your urine checked each time you do have a flare up. If you do get an actual infection while pregnant its important you cure it quickly as i think it can cause you some issues if left untreated. Thats what really sucks about IC. You dont know you have an infection until its terrible bc you always thing its a "flare up".

Good Luck. PM me if you need to. Sorry so long winded.

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

August 9th, 2011, 02:05 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you! Kangaroo! I have PM'ed you so others don't have to hear about my issues! haha

August 9th, 2011, 06:53 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
Ugh. I have no experience with this, but it sounds awful. I've had many UTIs in my lifetime and I can't imagine something like it that can't be treated with antibiotics. Glad you found someone that could help.

August 12th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Veteran
I have IC. I prevent it from flaring up by avoiding sugar and caffiene, no problem with it so far during pregnancy cause sweets make me gag now!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search