What's In A Name?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Veteran
How important is the meaning of the name you select (or selected) for your child? I mean, what if you fall in love with a name and then find out it means "horses knuckle" or something crazy like that? Do you still use the name or find something else?
August 10th, 2011, 05:26 AM
marinewife0702's Avatar proud first time mama
Well my girl's name Savannah means "grassy plain" and middle name Rose means "flower", so its not really the meaning that got us for that, I just liked the name Savannah and Rose is for my grandma. For the boy Conor means "dog lover" which suits my love for animals and puppies and the middle name David means "beloved". Conor was a name DH likes and David was just for my father in law.

I dont think meanings make a huge difference at least in my family. My name is Marissa Noelle which together means Mary (I know its not merry but still) Christmas yet I was born in the begining of October lol.

August 10th, 2011, 06:08 AM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
I think it's nice when the name ends up having a great meaning, but I don't think I would change a name I have my heart set on because it doesn't have the meaning I would want. Some great names have really stupid meanings! LOL
August 10th, 2011, 06:21 AM
CalmHorizons's Avatar Christina
I don't think I would change a name if I found out it had a weird meaning, but the meanings aren't very important to me. I definitely didn't choose the names based on the meanings.

August 10th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think that the meaning is something to take into consideration, but it would not be a deal breaker if a name I loved had a less than fabulous meaning. My son's name, Holden, means "deep valley" which doesn't really do anything for me, but we chose his name based on characters from a favorite movie (Chasing Amy) and favorite book (Catcher in the Rye) that DH and I share a love for. So for us it has meaning beyond the meaning.

Thank you so much Kris2you for my lovely siggy!!!

August 10th, 2011, 06:42 AM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
jacob has some weird meaning, held by the heel, but I am still in love with JAKE as my boy's name. I read the biblical explanation and the whole story of jacob and it's just so odd, but oh well. To me, Jake is a strong masculine name. That's all that matters.
August 10th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm all about meaning!!! Usually though there's some spiritual connotation that fits better than the actual meaning. I'll go with that if I have to. All my babies have been named based on our progression of faith in Christ. So, we'll definitely be sticking to that theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbear33 View Post
I think that the meaning is something to take into consideration, but it would not be a deal breaker if a name I loved had a less than fabulous meaning. My son's name, Holden, means "deep valley" which doesn't really do anything for me, but we chose his name based on characters from a favorite movie (Chasing Amy) and favorite book (Catcher in the Rye) that DH and I share a love for. So for us it has meaning beyond the meaning.
I love Holden, it's on my short list, but it's also my maiden name so it has deep meaning to me. Although it doesn't necessarily fit with our theme.

Mommy Pam to 8 other blessings ages 16 to newborn! 5 boys and 3 girls.
For the multiples forum: I have identical twin boys who are 3.
August 10th, 2011, 09:18 AM
n8tsmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
Well with Nathaniel I didn't know it meant gift from god until he was two months old. I was in my best friends delivery room while she was in labor and her grandma asked his name because I of course had him with me and she told me I was just like oh awesome has a good meaning score. This time a boy will be Atticus which means "from Attica" and Doris means "Dorian woman" so not such great meanings but I love them so that's what I am using. I would like to point out if not for this post I would not have looked them up.

August 10th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Super Mommy
Honestly I never read up on what our names meant! We just picked names that we loved and had meaning based on history, family values or whatever the case may be!

August 10th, 2011, 09:58 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
I agree with most of the posters above. If we love a name, the meaning wouldn't be a game changer. With Emily, it was just the only name we could agree on. I'm sure it'll be the same this time since my husband is so picky. If it's another girl we're in trouble because I'm not sure he liked a single other name I liked.

August 10th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This is The Name Book I have. I love it. Although I wish they would do an update. I love that it has both the name meaning and the spiritual significance. Amazon.com: The Name Book: Over 10,000 Names, Their Meanings, Origins, and Spritual Significance (9781556619823): Dorothy;Austin, Dorothea Astoria: Books

It has a lot of customer reviews.

Last edited by themorethemerrier; August 10th, 2011 at 10:11 AM.
August 10th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Veteran
Well, I'm struggling between loving a name and not really liking the meaning versus not caring about the meaning...I've always been big on meanings, too, sooo....dilemma! And hence my question
August 10th, 2011, 12:12 PM
gingerrae's Avatar Regular
My DH and I have the belief that words have power and a child's name is spoken multiple times a day. So because of our belief the meaning of a name is very important to us. We believe that the meaning will affect the child and there behavior and/or character.
August 10th, 2011, 12:23 PM
momma2kacie's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTsquared View Post
I think it's nice when the name ends up having a great meaning, but I don't think I would change a name I have my heart set on because it doesn't have the meaning I would want. Some great names have really stupid meanings! LOL

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Thank you KimberlyD0 for my wonderful siggy!!!

August 10th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Super Mommy
I love the name Mackenzie an it means child of the wise or fair one, it used to be a name given to children of wealthy families, but i liked the name before that. Now, the name Olivia which means elf army, there's no way I would do that
August 10th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist20 View Post
I love the name Mackenzie an it means child of the wise or fair one, it used to be a name given to children of wealthy families, but i liked the name before that. Now, the name Olivia which means elf army, there's no way I would do that
Olivia in my name book means:

Language/Cultural origin: Latin
Inherent Meaning: Peace
Spiritual Connotation: Walks with God
Scripture: Matthew 13:44

Olivia | meaning of Olivia | name Olivia (this is a good one too)

August 10th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
My names are very rare and I usually change the spelling to make it look the way I want so they don't have meanings the only one that kind of does is Kaiah and it means earth but it is spelled Kaia I added the 'h" to the end because I loved the way it looked and the middle names I use are gods and goddess names and I research the god or goddess before I choose it
5 time HG survivor, AP Mama to 5 GIRLS
Karrara 9 01/11/05, Kaiah 7 1/2 07/1/06,
Kayda 6 01/12/08, Katara 2 02/10/12
Korra 10/10/13
August 10th, 2011, 06:01 PM
ASoldiersLuckyCharm's Avatar Three's A Charm <3
Send a message via ICQ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Yahoo to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Skype™ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm
I look at some of them meanings but if I love the name I love the name and don't care too much at all.

all graphics made by Jackie at http://cutesypies.livejournal.com/ & http://blushfuls.com/ tell her Judy sent you

Tags
naming the baby , pregnancy , support

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search