So upset don't know what to do

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Super Mommy
So I worked for a small private Dr's office (just me my manager and my little sister who I got a job)before I went on mat leave this dr is a complete a** and had always insulted and been incredibly rude to his employees but I stayed because it payed well was close tp home and I worked with one of my very good friends.
Well a month ago I gave my notice to end my mat leave and return to work I was supposto be returning tommorow, well over the last week or so I have been in a few times to see when he would like me to start because I kinda need to let my mom know because she was supposto be the one watching dd.

So today my manager ( who is also my good friend) had a emergency come up and needed to leave work right away and my sister refused to go in so the dr told her to call me in, sure it was supper short noticed but I was thrilled as I really need to get 600 hrs in before the end of Jan. And I asummed that ment I was going to be coming back to work a day early because according to the labour bord he legally has to hier me back tommorow well.....

Here is where I get royally pissed I'm so upset I don't know what to do and am at a loss, so after work I go in to talk to him and ask him what time he wants me to be in tommorow and he's like I don't need you yet maybe in a few weeks, and I'm like I need to know when I'm starting because I have to find care for my dd I can't just be on call for when ever I also told him that I gave him my notice to return to work 1 month ago and am intitled to my job back tommorow.
Then he started freaking out on me calling my phyciatricaly mentally unstable and saying that he has every right to diagnose me however he wants because he's a dr ( he's a gp not a psyc dr! And on top of that he's not my dr!!!)
Then he told He's not giving me my job back and he doesn't have to if he doesn't want to he can do as he pleases and that my little sister wants more hrs anyways so he doesn't need me.

Also he doesn't plan on paying me for my time today

Well any ways I left the office in tears because he was screaming at me so loudly and on top of that my sister is happy I didn't get my job back because she wanted it!!!! I called her crying told her what the
dr said to me and that he had no intentions of even paying me for the day! And all she could say is "what do u want me to do about it I need the money for my art classes!!!) (so u have art classes what about my dd your niece that needs to be fed)
I just can't believe her I'f he would have done that to her I would have told him off and quit!

I just don't know what to do I live In Canada and as much as they say they have these laws here to protect us, they really don't so I file a complaint the most I'll get is a apology letter! If that ( I called the labour bord that's what they told me well yeah he legally has to hire you back but we can't make him if you file a complaint it may take 6 months or longer you may get a apology letter!)
What the he'll is a apology letter going to do for me!?!
Is it going to help pay the mortgage on out house that we just bought that is now most likely going to be forclosed on or we will starve to death living off of only my so income!
I live in Edmonton and it is imposable tp get a job here when you are pregnant, I am 14 weeks and already starting to show even if I don't tell them right away all employers here have 3 months where they can fier you and don't even have to give you a reason! And If I flat out tell them they won't hier me ( I had a friend try last year Tim hortons wouldn't even hire her! )

Sorry for the extremely long rant/ sob story I am just so pissed of wish I could have got it on record all the insults he called me and how loud he was screaming at me so I could have charged him for slander or something , I'm just so upset I can't stop crying and there's nothing I can do about it
August 10th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hugs
So sorry this is happening to u
& even worse your sister not even caring
Hope u can figure something out soon.

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
August 10th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
I am so so sorry hun I live in Calgary so I know how it can be with jobs and being pregnant
I hope it all works out hun ((BIG HUGS))
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 10mo 10/10/13

August 10th, 2011, 05:51 PM
ASoldiersLuckyCharm's Avatar Three's A Charm <3
Send a message via ICQ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Yahoo to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Skype™ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm
I'm so sorry to hear about this hon. Sorry about your sister not being sympathetic some people can be so cruel at times. I hope your able to find a job asap. *HUGS*

all graphics made by Jackie at http://cutesypies.livejournal.com/ & http://blushfuls.com/ tell her Judy sent you
August 10th, 2011, 05:59 PM
HonestMamma's Avatar Bish!
Have you talked to an attorney? If he is breaking the law than perhaps you can file suit for lost wages?

August 10th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My DH says, go to the Labor Board (which you've done), then also go to the Better Business Bureau file a complaint. It's another organization that might be able to help you sort this out. It's a business so they should know about how he is treating his employees. Contact a lawyer. That will probably get more of a reaction. The lawyer can write a letter. Be sure to mention the threats.

I hope this is sorted out quickly. I wouldn't want to work for him anyways, but I understand that a job is a job and you need to put in your 600 hrs. If he's not hiring you back, then I also believe you can get EI.

Mommy Pam to 8 other blessings ages 16 to newborn! 5 boys and 3 girls.
For the multiples forum: I have identical twin boys who are 3.
August 10th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Super Mommy
If he thought you were so mental or whatever, why would he even have wanted you there today, even if he wasn't planning on paying you. And how can he not pay you for working?! I would not want to work for that man after that anyway, but I do understand how it would be hard to find another job. I would say to write him a letter explaining that he has no right to fire you after you have legally been on maternity leave and that you deserve to get paid for the day of work you gave to him and if he doesn't hire you back and pay you for the day that you will take further action. When he agreed to let you go on maternity leave he understood that it didn't mean you were leaving your job permanently, just temporarily. The fact that there is someone else that can work more hours than you doesn't mean he can fire you. If he is saying he can take you back in a few weeks, then I would make him put it in writing so he can't back out on it. Stand your ground and don't let this arrogant, inconsiderate, rude man get the best of you. Good luck!

August 10th, 2011, 07:51 PM
.ingrid.'s Avatar TTC #2 on clomid
Wow, miss... this is huge. I am so sorry that you're having to deal with this right now.
I don't know how these things work in Canada, but i know that if that happened here in Australia.. I could sue him for far more than a days work! One for breaching Mat leave conditions, two for calling you unstable.. Unless he is YOUR doctor, that is defimation of character, and thirdly, for not paying you what he owes you! He'd be in all sorts of trouble if he did this here. I would do what the other ladies have said and follow this up as much as you can. Get legal advice, call some angencies that would have knowledge of your rights. Honestly, if some thing CAN be done, then it has to be - you can't let him get away with this! I'd be looking in to 'damages' to you as well for the things he has said.

Secondly, your sister.... That was a very selfish thing to do to you and it's not fair in the slightest. If she's your sister, she should atleast be offering to share her existing hours with you rather than attempting to steal the hours that weren't hers in the first place.
Art classes don't compare to a mother who is expecting who is also paying a mortgage. She should be smart enough to know that as well. I am sure her art classes can't cost that much? I'd be waiting till you have calmed down and in a rational state before discussing this with her but you need to tell her how she contributed to your sh** day and that it could have been avoided had she had showed compassion... She's your family, she's supposed to have your back! She sounds as if she needs reminding.

I hope it all works out for the best and please chin up....

PLEASE chase up what your rights are too!!!! Make lots of phone calls!!

Starting a clomid journey!
August 10th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Kitusne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
He is legally obligated to pay you for time worked. I'm not sure about how coming back from maternity leave works, but sounds like you should contact a lawyer.

Sorry to hear you got stuck with such a bad employer. I hope everything gets straightened out.
August 11th, 2011, 04:40 AM
marinewife0702's Avatar proud first time mama
My moms friend had something VERY similar happen to her, and she went to whoever she had to to get her job back. She was 9 months pregnant and still working because her boss wouldnt let her take paid maternity leave. Anyway, my mom is an assistant and the boss' were interviewing people to take her job because she wanted to take maternity leave!!!! Long story short they hired someone and attempted to cut her hours rather than fire her (but it was basically like being fired). After threatening to call whoever, she has her job back now and takes her newborn in with her.

I hope everything works out for you. Thats really messed up for the Dr to call you mentally incompetent or whatever, especially if he isnt that type of doctor.

August 11th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How awful!!! The answer can not be that you just have to deal with this! He had to pay you, and he is legally oigated to offer you your job back. He should not be able to get away with treatinv you this way. And shame on your sister for not having your back. Hugs!!!

Thank you so much Kris2you for my lovely siggy!!!

August 11th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Super Mommy
I think he has no other choice but to hire you back. Unless there was major reorganization where you work (which it doesn't seem to be the case) or you had bad evaluation prior to maternity leave. My mom is a HR for Nortel, and knows all the rules as she had to cut some positions while some were on maternity leave, and also had to protect employees on maternity leave agains managers who didn't want them back.

Even if it takes 6 moths or 9 months before something happens after filing a complaint, you should do it. Chances are, he will have do give you a big compensation check.

Pregnant women are usually the most protected by the system, and companies are usually afraid to fire them becausee they know they don't stand a chance at wining in a legal process and compensation fees get nasty for them. Obviously, that doctor is an as***** and thinks that because he is a doctor, he is above all law or system. He'll get a wake up call pretty soon.

Stay strong and do what is right!

As for your sister, I'm speechless.

Last edited by LuckyCharm; August 11th, 2011 at 07:39 AM.
August 11th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Super Mommy
I did a little research on Government of Alberta webpage and found this Maternity leave fact sheet. On the 3th page, in the Obligation of the employer section, it clearly states that "An employer cannont terminate an employee on maternity or parental leave, unless the employer suspends or discontinues the business."

http://employment.alberta.ca/documen...ntal-Leave.pdf

August 11th, 2011, 08:15 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
I'm so sorry, but you should still pursue it legally. I say talk to every agency you think could help you. What's the worst that could happen? If he writes you an apology letter and that's it, you're no worse off then you feel you are now. If, however, he feels threatened to hire you back, then you're better off. If necessary, try and find a local news agency who might be willing to do a piece on it. People here would love the fact that you're seeking work instead of just signing up for government aid. I hope it all gets resolved soon!

August 12th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks for the repllys
Well according to my sister he talked to her some time ago and told her he had no intention of giving me my job back ever.
Yesterday was a very busy day I went to te labour bord and filed a complaint they did say it could take up to 7 months but most likely I would get a cash settlement due to the cercimstances, I also filed a complaint with the human rights bord for discrimanation (called me an they told me I could file discrimination for the acusation of mental illness and for being on mat leave)
Contacted a legal aid to speak with a lawyer they told me to call back today
And filed a complaint with the collage of physicians for trying to diagnose me when I am not even his pt. And in the mannor that he done it.

Hopefully this goes some where apparently he has been bad mouthing me to manager and sister ever sence but my manager says she will stand behind me 100% it's pretty sad that my sister doesn't feel that way though....
August 12th, 2011, 08:32 AM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
This is the reporter side in me, but I think you could threaten him and try to negotiate your job back. Go in there prepared with all the facts, citing laws, maybe after you consult with a free attorney. Last straw, tell him that your newspaper is interested in this story and go right to the news to pitch them the story of what happened to you. But you will have to go on the record.
August 12th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Super Mommy
I am sorry hon! I can't even imagine how you feel!

August 12th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You GO girl!!! I hope it goes in your favor. I don't see how it really can't. Praying for you.

Mommy Pam to 8 other blessings ages 16 to newborn! 5 boys and 3 girls.
For the multiples forum: I have identical twin boys who are 3.
August 12th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Super Mommy
And please keep us updated! Even if it takes 7 months!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search