Chances of a red head?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2011, 09:34 AM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
So DH is a red head and I am a brunette. I would love to have red headed kids, DH not so much. When he was little and people would comment on his red hair, he would tell them it was black. LOL! I already know our kids will be very fair skinned, just like us. They will need to bathe in suntan lotion before going outside. What do you think my chances are? Red heads are a dying breed...
August 11th, 2011, 09:45 AM
hoping and waiting's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I am a redhead and so was my mom and so far we've only had a blonde. DH is brunette and was blonde when he was little. I think red hair is recessive so there has to be a recessive red allele from the other side as well to have a chance at a redhead. My DH has no known redheads in his family so I'm not sure our chances are great. Do you have any redheads in your family?

Last edited by hoping and waiting; August 11th, 2011 at 10:49 AM.
August 11th, 2011, 09:45 AM
akicequeen02's Avatar Super Mommy
I am not sure. Anyone else in dh family red head? My dh is super blonde with red facial hair. Mine is more dirty blonde. My mother wants a red headed grandchild and thinks we will be able to do it. Lol. Sisters kids all have dark hair but her and her dh have dark hair. I do have some red heads on my side of the family but none that I know of on dh side.

Tiffany
August 11th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have brown, DH is blonde and we have one red head. She's more strawberry blonde now but we still get comments on her hair. She is very fair with super sensitive skin. I would think your chances are pretty good at have a red head since your husband is

August 11th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Super Mommy
There's a chance if you have red hair on your side, good luck! I know someone though who has reallyy pretty red hair and their husband has brown and all 3 of their kids have brown hair
August 11th, 2011, 09:52 AM
marinewife0702's Avatar proud first time mama
Fingers crossed you get your red head!! I did that madame zaritska thing and it said our child will be blonde...DH is blonde and I am brunette so hopefully both our babies hair takes after their daddy's hair!!

August 11th, 2011, 09:52 AM
KeepingFaith's Avatar *~Mom to Faith Marie~*
When I was PG with DD I found a website that gives you the chances of eye and hair color in % based on you,DH and immediate family. I can't find it, but I'll keep looking and post it if I find it, I remember thinking it was so cool.

1/25/12

August 11th, 2011, 10:14 AM
~Nik*Re~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had blonde hair growing up which is brunette now. DH was a toe head and now he's a darker blonde. He's Irish and has red facial hair. I've been praying for some of that red to come through to one of my kids. I thought i was going to get lucky with Marienah, she had Orange hair when she was a baby, but now she's another blonde. She is my only one with wavy/curly hair and I LOVE it, but I'm afraid to cut it. I think she'll lose her curl. She'll be three in Oct and has never had a hair cut, not even bangs.

I found this on another site. She has brunette hair green eyes, DH has red hair blue eyes.
Quote:
Red hair and blue eyes are recessive. Let's call the red hair trait R. Each person has two copies of the gene, one inherited from the father and one from the mother. Additionally, each copy can be dominant (big R) or recessive (little r). Only in the case of both recessive will the child have red hair. This is best illustrated in a table:

RR = brunette

Rr = brunette

rr = red hair

We know your husband has two recessive copies.

What we don't know is you. You are either RR or Rr. That there are other redheads in your family means you may be Rr.

If you're RR, no matter what you won't have red-headed children.

If you're Rr, there's a 50% chance: your husband will always give a recessive copy (r), and you have a 50% chance to give a recessive copy (r).

So it's either 1/2 or zero. You'll find out soon enough!

Check out my FB page for cute Boutique Stuff for Boys and Girls

August 11th, 2011, 10:20 AM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
Wow, that was very helpful Nikki, thanks! Unfortunately everyone in my family is a brunette (well my mom is a red head, but its not natural!) And DH is the only red head in his family. Not looking good!
August 11th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm a brunette and DH has black hair. DS has blonde hair so I'm convinced anything is possible haha
August 11th, 2011, 10:26 AM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My dh has very red hair. It's not as red as it used to be when he was a kid. When he was kid, it was really, really red. Now it's more orange. Anyway, most of our kids have brown hair, like me. But Asher definitely has some red in his hair. It looks more like red highlights, though. Also, Rayne has some red in her hair. All of our kids are very fair skinned. There are no red heads anywhere in my family either. I think red hair is awesome but I know dh hated it growing up. All of my kids had reddish hair as babies but they outgrew it.

August 11th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My friend is a redhead, her bf is a brunette. They have 2 very redheaded babies! Good luck!

Thank you so much Kris2you for my lovely siggy!!!

August 11th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
My DH was born redhead is now dirty blond and my Grandma is redhead

My first DD is redhead with green eyes, me second DD is dirty blond with blue eyes and my third DD is brunette with brown eyes
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 10mo 10/10/13

August 11th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am a red head, my DH is dark brown. His grandma was a red head. So far out of 7 children no red hair. Maybe baby #8, lol. All my siblings have red hair. My sister is the only one who has children besides me and none of them have red hair either. We're hoping her baby girl due in Nov. will have red hair. Both our parents were red heads.
I hope you get what you want!!!

Well since I have rr, then at least my grandchildren will have a chance of being redheads, lol.

Mommy Pam to 8 other blessings ages 16 to newborn! 5 boys and 3 girls.
For the multiples forum: I have identical twin boys who are 3.

Last edited by themorethemerrier; August 11th, 2011 at 10:58 AM.
August 11th, 2011, 01:19 PM
RhiettaP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My husband is a redhead (as well as his mother). I am a brunette. My DD came out with dark brown hair, # 2 blonde...and #3....a red head....so your chances are pretty good...lol...

William 11.06.03
Ethan 7.3.08
Liam Ryan 2.17.12
Rowan Oliver 6.19.14
August 11th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Libby22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sophie has red hair I love it

I dont know where she gets it from I had blonde hair as a baby and her father was blown. anyhoo I love her hair its so diff.

My Ovulation Chart || Ovulation Calendar

Af 31 Aug nz time
August 11th, 2011, 11:56 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know that red hair is recessive but sometimes genetics are funny. My Aunt and Uncle had two red headed kids. My Aunt was a red head but my Uncle was not and no one is a red head on his side of the family. Same goes with me and my brother's eye color. My mom comes from an all brown eye family and my dad's side is all blue. Both me and my brother got blue eyes when you would have thought at least one of us would have gotten brown.
August 12th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Mom2DyJessAva's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
dy+ jessies father had brown hair and so do I..dy has brown hair like us and jessie has blond..There are no blonds in my family but he has blond in his and his older daughter has blond hair and jess took after that..dy has dark brown eyes jess is more hazel

im almost sure this baby will have brown hair and eyes! everyone on both sides have brown! lol

August 12th, 2011, 07:26 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
nooooo offense, but i've never been a fan of red hair. there hasn't been any for generations in my family, or melissa's dads. i call her hair golden, but everyone else on the planet calls her a redhead, and it drives me crazy. strawberry blonde, okay, MAYBE, but i truly don't see anything more than blonde, and not just cos i don't care for the red. *shrug*
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

August 12th, 2011, 09:56 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
DH has black hair and I have light brown hair (although I had blonde hair when I was little with just a little bit of red in it). Emily has red hair like my dad does! Her hair gets her all sorts of compliments.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search