OT: Socks vs curlers?!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Super Mommy
I seen on somebody's fb status about using panty hose to curl your hair. I began googling and came across this video ? Heat-Free Dolly Curls in Under 5 Minutes ? - YouTube using socks instead. I am going to try it! I love the idea of big curls like that w/o having to sit with a curling iron or rollers. I have thick hair to almost the middle of my back and it takes forever to do anything like that. Plus with rollers I never seem to get it all to go in the right direction or anything.... hopefully this works!! I would love it!

August 11th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Bella11356's Avatar Super Mommy
I might give this a try tonight. My hair doesn't take curl well so I have to use a lot of product, so I will wash my hair, apply mousse when wet, than dry. I'll post some pictures tomorrow and we'll see what we get...lol

August 11th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Super Mommy
My socks are in!!! I feel like maybe I didn't get them tied tight enough though but I guess we will see in the am. i would love if it works... it took really like 5 minutes including brushing my hair so it would be awesome!

August 11th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Neat
Cant wait to see if it works

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
August 11th, 2011, 07:27 PM
n8tsmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
Man now I wish I had long hair that seems really easy. Unfortunately in December I donated my long hair to locks of love and its just now long enough for being pulled back. Can't wait to see the results!

August 12th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Cant wait to see how it turn out. My mom actually did something similat to my hair all the time when I was little. I am thick hair that resists heat curling, and it worked and held verywell!

Thank you so much Kris2you for my lovely siggy!!!

August 12th, 2011, 04:18 AM
~Nik*Re~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Can't wait to see how it turned out, I am definately going to try that.

Check out my FB page for cute Boutique Stuff for Boys and Girls

August 12th, 2011, 05:52 AM
Mom2DyJessAva's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i LOVE curl formers! just saying hehe

that looks sooooo easy!! wonder if my daughter will let me try lol..she might think its funny with socks in her hair!

August 12th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Super Mommy
It worked!!!!!!!!! I didn't have a spray bottle so had to use detangler but have a water bottle to do tonight!! It looked great and was so super easy. But then I put my hair up and went out to mow before the storm so it's no longer so nice looking. I think I may try this with DD's hair. She loves curls but it doesn't ever hold for a long time plus this is not time consuming at all.

And it wasn't uncomfortable at all to sleep in!

August 16th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Ok my socks are in! I did use 4 instead of three because I have a lot of hair. I did do it a little bit different...I washed my hair and put mousse while wet, than dried most of the way. Than i did anti frizz, than put it up. My hair is hard to take a curl... So we'll see tomorrow!! I'm excited!

August 17th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Coby Jaylen Aubriya mom
interesting i might have to try too! How'd it go for you Bella??
August 17th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Ok not good...I think I have to much hair to do it like this. I took the socks out and it did curl. But when I separated the curls some, I had frizzy Julia Roberts hair. I looked like a scene out of pretty woman! Even with a lot more anti frizz, it didn't come together. I am going to try it again without the mousse and only three socks, and see if it works better like that.

I think also if you have stick straight hair, this would work for you. I do have a natural wave to my hair when I just let it air dry, which is essentially what your doing when you do it this way, and that didnt work in my favor.

August 17th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Iluvmybabies*'s Avatar Proud Mama to 5 girls
Send a message via MSN to Iluvmybabies*
This sounds so cool if I had long hair I would so do this
5 time HG survivor , AP Mama to 5 GIRLS
Karrara 9 1/2 01/11/05, Kaiah 8 07/1/06, Kayda 6 1/2 01/12/08
Katara 2 1/2 02/10/12, Korra 9mo 10/10/13

August 17th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Super Mommy
I am bummed that it didn't work out for you. I did it again Friday night for my hair as well as DD(3)'s hair. Hers looked absolutely beautiful. I rolled hers up a little tighter to give it a tighter curl and did mine once again just like the video and got the loose curls right around the ends. It even lasted all day which is crazy with my thick typically uncooperative (when it comes to curls) hair!

August 17th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Yeah I think I messed my up with the mousse and too wet hair. I need a bottle to spitze my hair with...I'm going to try again because if not when I curl my hair with the curling iron, it's at least an hour and a half every time. This would be a great time saver if I cam figure out what works for me.

What kind of socks did you use? I used like cotton socks...maybe I should use dress socks next time? Think that makes a difference?

August 18th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Super Mommy
Since all of our socks are low cut I had to use my husbands dress socks since they were the only ones that would work. For DD I just used regular cotton socks.

August 18th, 2011, 10:16 AM
ASoldiersLuckyCharm's Avatar Three's A Charm <3
Send a message via ICQ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Yahoo to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Skype™ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm
That is way cool I want to try it on my DD for sure she has longer and pretty hair than me.

all graphics made by Jackie at http://cutesypies.livejournal.com/ & http://blushfuls.com/ tell her Judy sent you

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search