I have got to get a grip...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2011, 11:28 AM
ColonialChick's Avatar Cautiously THRILLED ;D
I'm losing it. I swear.

I know that pregnancy is known from bringing out mood swings and all kinds of fun stuff (thanks hormones), but I swear that mine are targeted at two people...really one in particular. I am near a breaking point with this guy at work and actually had a dream where I went off on him and was just wailing on him with my fists! Who is this person!?!

Prepare for rant:
I work as...well...whatever is needed at that particular moment in time at our small construction firm. I do estimating, project management, technical writing, contracts, you name it. This guy says he's an estimator. Except that I have to completely re-do all of his work to catch his tail. (Case in point, today he and another guy planned to submit a bid for a painting project. They forgot paint. Hmm. ) I'm just sick of it. He gets paid more to do essentially nothing, seeing as I have to do his work and mine, then just says "well this is why it's so important that we have our peer review system", when I point it out. I. Just. Can't. Take. Anymore.

He also tried to send out qualification documents noting that the company has been operating since 1978. My mom started this company. She was a freshman in high school in 1978. WTH. I'm at the end of my tether. I want to strike him in the face. I know that I'm being mean to him, but I just can't control it anymore. I called him on the 1978 thing and he tried to pin it on me, like I made that form. Except that we've already had a form that I made a year ago...why is this guy re-inventing the wheel.

The biggest thing that I'm hanging onto is that he's a smoker. What you do to yourself and on your own time is not my business. He's been told repeatedly, however, that he needs to smoke out back, away from me (specifically). The other day, I was going out to grab something in the car and he's smoking out front. He starts approaching me to talk (he runs his face too much), with the lit cigarette. I smile, hold my hands up, and say "you're smoking, I'm pregnant", stepping back and into the car. He keeps coming and is tapping on the window. I crack it and repeat myself, at which point he blows me off, says "I know, I know", but keeps talking. Look here, bud. If you want to kill yourself like that, fine by me, but you do not have the right to infringe upon my right to a safe work environment and to protect myself and my unborn child from your second hand smoke.

I'm not a violent person, but I've never wanted to slap someone in the face quite so much. What can I do to simmer this down???

August 26th, 2011, 11:41 AM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I personally would just slap him in the face.

No, seriously, can you just let his mistakes go so that someone else finds them and he gets in trouble for not doing his job properly? Because honestly, if you keep covering for him it will never get better.

As far as the smoking thing, I would just flat out be rude about it and tell him to get lost. I am not one to bite my tongue about a lot of things, especially when it comes to something or someone invading my space/putting me in harms way.

I hope you can figure something out soon. Hopefully others will have more suggestions for you!

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
August 26th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSouthGirl View Post
I personally would just slap him in the face.
RIGHT!?!?!?! LOL I'm usually not like this, but I feel as though I am being pushed to my limit. There's got to be a hidden camera around here...

As for letting him fall...the explanation for why I can't involves a long drawn out thing about my step-father being a crazy and senile narcissist, who would blame me for not catching it. It's almost as if part of my job is to catch his mistakes, except that it would be more efficient to just eliminate him, give me the extra workload, since I'm doing it already, and know that it's done right. The inefficiency of this is killing me. I'm a super detail oriented Type A. This crap is beyond my comprehension.

Last edited by ColonialChick; August 26th, 2011 at 11:53 AM.
August 26th, 2011, 12:06 PM
LeslieTum's Avatar Veteran
Well it seems like your family owns the company? If this is the case, you need to have convo with them about this douch bag...Also, document every time he screws up so you have a paper trail to include making copies of his screw ups... This will help your family if they are afraid to fire him due to false firing but also to back up your story... As for the cig, I would have grabbed it out of his mouth and stepped on it... Apparently the company is not enforcing and maybe he needs to be written up so he knows you all mean business and aren't going to tolerate his disobedience
August 26th, 2011, 12:15 PM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Leslie. Start photocopying his paperwork and highlighting the big mistakes that you have to correct. Show the significant amount of money he could potentially be losing you company, ask for a raise and get him canned.
August 26th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Desiree McD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Definitely make note of all his mistakes and what you've done to correct them.

And don't worry, you're rage is normal.. not only for a pregnant woman. I had a dream where I beat my step-daughters mother in the middle of the street (she deserves it..oh if you only knew what she does to break that childs heart). I woke up smiling, but whatev.

Hope there is a resolution at some point. Work should only have to be done once.

Thank you, .:Shortcake:.!!

Facebook
August 26th, 2011, 12:41 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just wait unti you go on maternity leave and he screws up! It will be someone else's problem then!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
August 26th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Victoria
I don't really have any advice, everyone's covered what I'd say already. I just wanted to say I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, though. I'd be livid too if I were in your position. I really hope something can be done about that guy.
August 26th, 2011, 07:33 PM
MamaRed's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
Just wait unti you go on maternity leave and he screws up! It will be someone else's problem then!
AGREED!!!! If you can find a way to manage the rage until you have the baby, he'll hang himself while you're gone! Hang in there girl!
August 29th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRed View Post
AGREED!!!! If you can find a way to manage the rage until you have the baby, he'll hang himself while you're gone! Hang in there girl!
I didn't even think about this!!! Yes...what will his dumb tail do, when I'm not here to catch him.

What is particularly tough is that he has this tush-kissing smoke-blown-up-your-behind way about him that can be so sickeningly sweet that he's hard to pin down as the bad guy. I'm convinced that it's all an act, though. He'll make little back handed comments that just make me want to take him out back for a "talk".

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search