How did our East Coast peeps do with Irene?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2011, 01:37 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have family in NJ and was just looking at pictures from the storm. Some pretty bad flooding and one of the boardwalks is all ripped up. In land flooding and down trees and power lines.

How did you ladies fare?

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
August 28th, 2011, 01:53 PM
glitterific's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Could have been worse, for that, I am thankful... Power out for 4 1/2 hours. Tornado Warning happened right at that time as a rotation was detected in our town and thankfully a good friend texted me not knowing if I had heard, so we stayed in our flooding basement with our cats for a little more than 30 minutes. Of course, I finally felt a lot of baby movement! I was very afraid so I wonder if my adrenaline had something to do with it.

We got a little less than an inch of rain in the basement, the paint is all bubbling on the floor and the ash box in the basement gushed water through the foundation walls (pretty common actually).

Since the rain was blowing in all kinds of directions, it got into our dormers that are missing flashing where it meets the roof .. it leaked into our living room and baby room. I'm just happy we didn't replace the ceiling in the baby's room just yet.
August 28th, 2011, 02:03 PM
AnnaandRyansMommy's Avatar Sarah
We were fine. We have branches down and some localized flooding in my area. My aunt's house was flooded worse and she may have lost her furnace, water heater, washer and dryer She'll have to wait to see if they will work once they all dry out. But everyone in my family is safe and no major damage.

August 28th, 2011, 02:04 PM
The area where my family lives has a lot of flooding and downed trees.

Both of these are from the area my parents are in. Probably about 30 miles inland!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
August 28th, 2011, 03:52 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I hope everyone is alright.

I have a friend on Long Island she said they didn't even lose power. I guess they got lucky.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
August 28th, 2011, 04:07 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Well, other than financial damage to Ryan and I's wallet from having to rent a rental car in order to get out of NYC we faired well! We had bought bus tickets to and from NYC for our overnight get away. Our bus company had cancelled ALL trips after 11 am yesterday and our tickets were for 7 pm. All trains, planes, buses, etc were all closing down at certain times. The officials were even talking about closing bridges and roadways so we knew we needed to get the heck out of there! We could not afford to just stay another night or two until things cleared up plus needed to get home to the kiddos since this was our first ever overnight away anyway. In any case, we managed to find a car to rent and went with it. It has been a BIG hit though.

Back at home, which is 4 hours North of NYC, not much damage to us directly. We lost some more shingles on the roof which needs replacing. We have not driven around anymore than the drive to return the rental car and run to grocery store. I am sure we will see trees down and some flooding though. I will let you know.

None of my family around the area or Ryan's family received much damage at all. Of course, it was a tropical storm by the time it reached us up in Northern, MA and we are all 20 mins away from ocean.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

August 28th, 2011, 04:55 PM
pvm4ever88's Avatar Super Mommy
We are good. It was suppose to be stronger than it was so we were out of town 3 hours inland to miss it. Came home today and only tree limbs down. Electric was off at some point since my stove light was blinking. Other than that things are well. Glad to be home.

August 28th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We fare better than expected. We didn't lose power, so the sump pump didn't fail. A few lost tree limbs is about the worst of it. Half our town is still without power and quite a few trees were down on our way to my parents to get our second car, so we were really lucky. The flooding is terrible in areas.

And Meghan - quite a few boardwalks were hit bad. Spring Lake boardwalk is gone, Asbury Park is quite torn up, and Martells Tiki Bar at Point Pleasant was destroyed. I'm so not a Jersey Shore kind of girl, but these places were iconic around here.

August 28th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Psalm139's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We ended up fine. I was expecting power outages especially when I heard so many people in Richmond and then DC were without power but nada. Very thankful tonight.
Psalm 139:13-14 "For you [God] created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made..."

August 28th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Not the Tiki Bar!!! Bummer!

Have you seen the images from Vermont? The flooding is horrible! Raging Waters in Vermont from Hurricane Irene Much worse than a lot of what is in other areas.

Sail Back to Me
August 29th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We lost power THIS MORNING! I can't believe we made it through the storm, through the day after, and lose power around 4am today when there is nothing visible down on our street. A friend thinks it might be that the substation that powers my neighborhood was flooded. The electric company is saying it will be back up on September 4th. I really, really hope they are kidding, or being overly conservative. We are staying home tonight and moving to my parents tomorrow (working at my inlaws today). But the sump pump still needs to run and i don't want a flooded mess.

August 29th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Mistyx6's Avatar Mommy of 6
Send a message via MSN to Mistyx6
We have power but a lot of this state doesnt. There is a tree down hanging on the power lines but I dont think its connected to our house.

Here is the tree that fell on our street.

And the Housatonic River is just flooded.

August 29th, 2011, 08:23 AM
ColonialChick's Avatar Cautiously THRILLED ;D
Those of us in VA's Northern Neck lost power at about 3:30pm on Saturday. It's still not back. I'm going to BJ's to see about mass quantities of water for the barn...no power = no water pump for the well... We'll be at critical water shortage for the horses by tomorrow.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search