Bringing home baby...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2011, 04:10 PM
-Anna-'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Who will stay with you when you bring home the baby?

My mother and MIL stayed in my house why I was in the hospital when DD was born and when I got home my whole house was trashed. I had my house SPOTLESS when I left for the hospital and when I came back there was stuff everywhere! My MIL left when we came home and my mom stayed the night, but I hated it.

No one will be staying in my house while I am in labor this time or staying with me after the baby is born. Jon and I are very private people and we don't like having a lot of people around. I feel bad not letting anyone stay in my house since everyone will have to come from out of town, but too bad. They will just have to stay in a hotel.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my very special siggy!
August 28th, 2011, 04:18 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Well we have a super tiny apartment so no one will stay here. Even if we had a house no one would stay.

MIL/FIL will have Elizabeth sleeping at their house. DH will crash here when he isn't at the hospital (this hospital kicks even the dads out at 10pm).

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
August 28th, 2011, 04:24 PM
SmilesAreContagious's Avatar Rheanna Mommy-2-b
No one will be at my house except my roommate who will loose her room if we come home to a messy house. My mom and bothers live next door so we will have help if we need it but they will not have to be staying at my house which is nice.
August 28th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Desiree McD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No one. We have a small two bedroom apartment and already four of us living here. Just me and DH dealing with baby girl!

Thank you, .:Shortcake:.!!

Facebook
August 28th, 2011, 04:39 PM
MamaRed's Avatar Veteran
Nobody - most of the family lives within a 2-hour drive and I will NOT be up for company at all when we get home. DH is going to take a couple of weeks off so I won't be alone right away.
August 28th, 2011, 04:45 PM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom will definitely stay over even though she lives 15 minutes away. My in laws will probably come down from Nac once they hear I am in labor and they will stay at our house, too. My SMIL is a total neat freak...if there is even one dish in the sink when she comes over, she cleans it, so she could actually be helpful to have here! I don't want them staying more than 2 days though.

August 28th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Victoria
If we've moved and my parents make it out here, they will stay with us. Other than that, though, not interested in having anyone else around. Would prefer it to be just us, but DH probably won't get any time off work and I'd feel bad not letting my family stay if they travel 4,000 miles to get here
August 28th, 2011, 05:24 PM
AnnaandRyansMommy's Avatar Sarah
I'm not sure. We might have my mom stay with us, but I think this also depends on how the labor and delivery go. If I have my "dream delivery" I will not be so worn out and sore that I will feel comfortable handling the two with just DH and I. However, if I am too tired I may have my mom stay overnight with us, at least to help with DD at bedtime and in the morning. I am already dreading having people over though. I am a control freak and people mess up my house. I think there should be some kind of punishment if people come to see the new baby and leave with more of a mess and less food then when they arrived. With my first my mom cooked and picked up after all our visitors. I was so mad at some people who I felt should have "known better." Come.. eat all my food.. mess up my sleep schedule.. and leave a nice mess behind. Ok. I'm getting mad now. I need to stop.

August 28th, 2011, 05:28 PM
everafter's Avatar Super Mommy
No-one....no family anywhere close at that time....my family's visiting in October and can't afford to come again in December and his family, well, mom most likely isn't going to live to see her new grandchild and dad might live right around the corner at the time, so he can go home whenever he's had enough, he doesn't have to stay....

August 28th, 2011, 05:54 PM
TNTGarner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am hoping my mother will be here but it is unknown right now. Anyone that wants to come can come, i have a bedroom that I can go to with the newborn :-P As long as it is my family and I am comfortable I dont mind. They dont stay long so its not a big deal. Now if it is DHs family it might be a different story if they start their drama. They are good about cleaning up behind them and even helping out around the house for the most part. And its time they can spend with the other kids.

August 28th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
I honestly would prefer not to have anyone coming home with us. We have an extremely small condo (2 bedrooms) and it's cluttered enough without adding people! I just want to spend time together as a new family when I get home.

This being said, and I know I will get myself worked up all over again, but DH's parents drove 1 HOUR to attend our wedding, and STAYED WITH US IN OUR CONDO FOR THE ENTIRE DAY FOLLOWING OUR WEDDING!!! This was NOT ok with me. The place was wrecked; we had two days to prepare for our honeymoon; and it was the day after our wedding! I wanted to spend it with my DH!!! Weddings are exhausting and stressful and we had not been enjoying each other in the time leading up to it. Having a baby is going to be like this, and I am planning to straight up tell DH that they can't stay. I know I won't be popular! But this is my time. And my home!

August 28th, 2011, 06:12 PM
glitterific's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have family that is messy to begin with so I think having anyone stay is out of the question. We have plenty of hotels around they can stay in. It also helps we haven't purchased anything but an inflatable bed
August 28th, 2011, 06:23 PM
AnnaandRyansMommy's Avatar Sarah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-Jay View Post
I honestly would prefer not to have anyone coming home with us. We have an extremely small condo (2 bedrooms) and it's cluttered enough without adding people! I just want to spend time together as a new family when I get home.

This being said, and I know I will get myself worked up all over again, but DH's parents drove 1 HOUR to attend our wedding, and STAYED WITH US IN OUR CONDO FOR THE ENTIRE DAY FOLLOWING OUR WEDDING!!! This was NOT ok with me. The place was wrecked; we had two days to prepare for our honeymoon; and it was the day after our wedding! I wanted to spend it with my DH!!! Weddings are exhausting and stressful and we had not been enjoying each other in the time leading up to it. Having a baby is going to be like this, and I am planning to straight up tell DH that they can't stay. I know I won't be popular! But this is my time. And my home!
They stayed in your house with you guys the day after your wedding? Oh no no no. I think if you aren't popular for this it's obviously their problem.

August 28th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My parents and inlaws each live about 30 minutes away so they won't need to stay, thank goodness. I always feel like I need to entertain when my inlaws are around and my mom can't really help too much right now. We will likely have a baby nurse come stay with us for a couple of weeks like we did with ds. I prefer having our privacy those first few weeks but the help after the c-section was really great and they teach so much about infant care, sleep schedules, etc.

August 28th, 2011, 06:30 PM
corilyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No one will stay the night but they will visit and my mom helps a lot even though she gets on my nerves.

August 28th, 2011, 09:44 PM
AllMyBlessings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So far I haven't need anyone to stay with me after having any of my children. And, as long as the delivery goes well, I don't plan to have anyone this time.

August 28th, 2011, 10:03 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It will be just DH and I for the first few days/weeks depending on when baby decides to be born. I told our family not to come until after Valentines day. I don't want to risk them coming and baby not being born yet! I'm hoping that I go a little overdue so I only have to go a week or so without help. Then my parents will come for a week and DH's mom will come for a week or two after they leave. I kind of like the idea of having time for us as a family before the grandparents swoop in.

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

August 28th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When DD was born, my parents came out and stayed about a week with us. I liked having them there (especially my mom, my dad kind of annoys me after a while). This time it is the IL's turn and I am not looking forward to it. They are nice and we get along, but geesh, they get on my nerves. Especially BIL, he is just ridiculous. FIL talks in baby talk NON STOP when he is around DD and he even does it to my dogs. Gross. MIL is either overly giddy or way.too.sensitive. She cries over EVERYTHING! And the video camera. PUT IT DOWN for a freakin minute! Thankfully FIL still works, so they HAVE to leave so he can go back to work. Knowing there is a definite end makes it easier.

August 28th, 2011, 10:39 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No family. I am okay with that htough. I like to get to know our new family after baby is born. I am sure we will get a few visitors for a few hours/minutes here and there, but no one that will stay over. My hubby will take a few days off work.

I am sure our local friends will bring food, that is what happens in our community. You get fed. Works for me

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
August 28th, 2011, 11:38 PM
SarahMc's Avatar Super Mommy
We'll be staying with an elderly couple when we're back in the UK, but they have an old victorian house (3 floors, plus basement and 6 bedrooms) so we certainly won't feel suffocated!

My parents live 4 hours away, so I already know they're going to want to stay there as well, but I honestly don't think I could handle the stress of it, so we're going to ask other friends to put them up so they're not quite so much in our pockets.

I won't moan too loudly though, here (in China) mothers and MILs stay with the new mother for a full month during which time the new mum can't leave the apartment or shower and has to eat 8 eggs a day. I would officially go insane after about day 3!! So, relatively, having my parents stay nearby for a few days is completely reasonable!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search