Will the baby sleep in your hospital room?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2011, 08:01 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I don't know what I will do yet. I was in the hospital three days with Elizabeth and she was in the NICU the whole time. It was strange sleeping alone at night while she was away. They did wake me up to go nurse her though at least the third night....I can't remember the second and know they didn't the first.

I think that I will try to have him in the room with me as much as possible but if I am groggy then I willl allow him to go to the nursery and make them call me to feed him. This hospital kicks even dads out by 10pm so I will be alone from then until he gets back to the hospital in the morning.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
August 28th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Super Mommy
None of my 4 children ever left my side when we were at the hospital. It will be the same with this one, unless medically necessary. Our hospital encourages rooming in at all times unless there are circumstances that prevent it.
August 28th, 2011, 08:22 PM
~SarahDid~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~SarahDid~
With DD and DS they stayed in the nursery the first night. DD was born in the afternoon but I didn't even hold her for the first time until the next day, I had many complications after the birth. DS came at night so we were both exhausted. I think I had the nurse take him a little after midnight so I could have a few hours of bonding time with him before sleep.

This time baby will probably also sleep in the nursery for the first night.

August 28th, 2011, 08:37 PM
LeslieTum's Avatar Veteran
I don't have any idea what I plan on doing. I will prob have room in all the time because I will only have first 42 days with Mason, but every delivery is different so I think it's hard to say unless it's just happened and I have to make the call right then and there.
August 28th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
baby will stay with us at all times and if they have to take the baby my DH will go with her. That is what we did with my son. I dont want my baby out of my sight.
DD born 1/3/12

August 28th, 2011, 09:03 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Those wanting to nurse and wanting baby to go to the nursery(or even when they take baby for testing) make sure you tell them no pacifiers(unless you are ok with that), no bottle feeding of any kind, and no sugar water. When I came down to get Leila out of the hospital nursery after they had taken her for her hearing test they had glucose water in her bassinet. I definitely did not ok that!! They will do what they think is necessary to calm baby unless you tell them what they can't do.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

August 28th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Psalm139's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Absolutely will sleep in our room unless there is some kind of major complication with him or me.
Psalm 139:13-14 "For you [God] created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made..."

August 28th, 2011, 10:54 PM
AllMyBlessings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As long as there is no medical reason he shouldn't be, he will be in the room with me. I have kept each of my children in the room with me, every night, with one exception. With ds#3 I got so sick (stomach virus or food poisoning) during my second night stay that I had to call the nurses in to take him since my husband wasn't there with me. I didn't want to let him go, but I HAD to, I was that sick!

August 29th, 2011, 01:14 AM
SarahMc's Avatar Super Mommy
I want to have the baby with me at night, but I really don't know what the UK's hospital policy is on this...lots of research to do!

August 29th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Bub will be staying with me at all times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahMc View Post
I want to have the baby with me at night, but I really don't know what the UK's hospital policy is on this...lots of research to do!

Where are you giving birth? The hospy I gave birth to DD in Portsmouth didnt have a nursery, baby was to room in at all times. The maternity ward was new and they were going to be getting special alarmed bracelets in place for bub where they couldnt be removed from the wards.
August 29th, 2011, 06:05 AM
-3-Hearts's Avatar She's Country.....
our hospital doesnt have a nursery, so matthew will be with us. dd roomed in with us, and i wouldnt have it any other way

<3

<3
August 29th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Super Mommy
I have had both experiences.. In Israel they highly recommended first baby to stay in Nursery for the night and yous tay for three nights after you give birth (but they called me every 30 minutes to nurse so it totally defeated the purpose!) Second baby stayed with me the whole 24 hours I was at the hosptial and it was great! So this third baby will never leave my sight! as long as its a normal birth and everything is ok ofcourse.

August 29th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Veteran
As far as I know there is no option of a nursery here. Unless baby needs medical attention, there is no need for baby to be away. And the first night is actually not that terrible. It has been the best nights I've enjoyed with both babes. And hopefully the tradition continues. lol
August 29th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Brooke16's Avatar Love my boys!
It really depends on how long I stay. It would be nice to get a half way solid night of sleep before going to the real world and having two kids. On the other hand, I didn't let Brock out of DH or my site. So I feel I should give this baby the same respect.

August 29th, 2011, 07:40 AM
The Natalie's Avatar !!!!!!!!!
I'll have her in the room as much as possible. Usually the nurses insist on taking the baby to the nursery when I fall asleep and I end up agreeing but if I wake up the first night, I go to the nursery and get the baby to nurse. The second day is about the same. But if I had got a good nights sleep the night before, I try to stay awake most of the second night to just hold my baby and stare in awe for as long as I can and nurse on demand.

August 29th, 2011, 08:42 AM
HONEYBUNNY61's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
He'll stay in the room with me and hopefully I won't be there very long.

VBAC, NATURAL BIRTHING, BREASTFEEDING, BABYWEARING, CLOTH DIAPERING MOM!
August 29th, 2011, 09:01 AM
sarahmomma's Avatar Momma to 4
The hospitals around here all encourage rooming in and there is no well-baby nursery. All three boys have roomed with me although Logan and Caleb both spent an hour at the nurses station so I could get some rest because they were marathon nursers and were keeping everyone in the ward up screaming between nursing sessions. This time around because I have a midwife as long as all is well I only have to stay 4 hours in hospital so I will either leave after the 4 hours or first thing in the am if it is another middle of the night delivery. I sleep better at home than at the hospital so I know I will recover faster at home.
August 29th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It depends and I am flexible. With my first, I was in labor for what seemed like an eternity, went in at 6:30am and had her at almost 8pm. So when the time came to make that decision, we had about an hour or two in the room and then sent her to the nursery. Other than the nurses coming in and annoying me about not using my morphine, daddy and I had a rather nice sleep. We also decided to do it for the next few nights as well, it just worked out best for us that way.
August 29th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Veteran
Mine will be staying in the NICU for a heart monitor the first 24 hours, so after that, of course if he's allowed.
August 29th, 2011, 10:09 AM
boots&bowtie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to boots&bowtie
I hope to be able to keep baby with me in the room at all times.

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my awesome siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search